Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are camping prices set to explode?

The fact that my local Tescos charge 28p per kWh (used to be free) mean that the 34p seems perfectly reasonable to me. What does NOT seem reasonable if the fiver for what? The privilege of being able to buy electricity at additional cost, on what is likely to be at most a 6 amp feed? That's downright greedy in my view.
The £5 is for EHU and a set amount of kwH. Over that amount and you pay 34p for each additional kwH.

Out of mere curiosity I wonder how many who grudge paying for electric etc on sites would let me park on their property and plug into their Mains Power Supply for a week with no financial charges?

The £5 is for EHU and a set amount of kwH. Over that amount and you pay 34p for each additional kwH.
Braemar campsite is metered, suggested £5 on the card and refund what you dont use. We had fridge, diesel heater and boot driers on for the one night we were there.
Cost £0.24. The warden said even families rarely use more than £2 a day. Sounds to me like we have been getting ripped off for years and its been a supplement to the sure fee. I could be wrong.

Braemar campsite is metered, suggested £5 on the card and refund what you dont use. We had fridge, diesel heater and boot driers on for the one night we were there.
Cost £0.24. The warden said even families rarely use more than £2 a day. Sounds to me like we have been getting ripped off for years and its been a supplement to the sure fee. I could be wrong.

The infrastructure must cost quite a bit to install.

Slightly bizarre to see so many begrudging comments about paying a whole fiver for EHU. Sites have had a torrid time and energy prices are through the roof. We are happy to pay our way and support the sites through these tough times. There is always an option. EHU or not. Pick your poison.

Last edited:
We do feel a little aggrieved at some EHU charges. We are quite minimalist in our electricity needs - Leisure battery charging (fridge, phone charging) and an electric camping kettle.

£3 or £4 I’m happy with, £5 I start questioning. One place we are going to in the Yorkshire Dales is asking for £8pm. We have said no, but may go onto EHU for 1 day to recharge the batteries if we don’t drive the van when we are up there.

I would fully support, and would pay a contribution for, campsites to upgrade to meters and allow me to pay for what I use and not subsidise great whites that need there own power station.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We do feel a little aggrieved at some EHU charges. We are quite minimalist in our electricity needs - Leisure battery charging (fridge, phone charging) and an electric camping kettle.

£3 or £4 I’m happy with, £5 I start questioning. One place we are going to in the Yorkshire Dales is asking for £8pm. We have said no, but may go onto EHU for 1 day to recharge the batteries if we don’t drive the van when we are up there.

I would fully support, and would pay a contribution for, campsites to upgrade to meters and allow me to pay for what I use and not subsidise great whites that need there own power station.

£429 for a basic 100w solar panel and 10w charger. 54 days camping +£8 per night and the panel will have paid for itself. And as an added bonus you will be able to pitch up on the quieter more remote pitches that don’t have an EHU option.

Win-win

£429 for a basic 100w solar panel and 10w charger. 54 days camping +£8 per night and the panel will have paid for itself. And as an added bonus you will be able to pitch up on the quieter more remote pitches that don’t have an EHU option.

Win-win
Exactly the sites we love and why we have solar plus the bonus of battery conditioning.
Why it pains me when no EHU is not an option and we know we use nowhere near £5 or whatever the premium is

I love metered sites. Use what I pay for, not pay for what next door uses. I'm out all day and prefer to read a book at night, not stare at moving pictures. If I'm cold then I put an extra woolly on and if still cold fire up the diesel. My solar panel often provides for what I use in electricity.

It is not a question of paying a "contribution". Payment should cover the actual energy used, maintenance plus the appropriate installation component. All this will be considerably more than the basic business price per Kw.hr.

The fact that my local Tescos charge 28p per kWh (used to be free) mean that the 34p seems perfectly reasonable to me. What does NOT seem reasonable if the fiver for what? The privilege of being able to buy electricity at additional cost, on what is likely to be at most a 6 amp feed? That's downright greedy in my view.
The chargers in Morrisons supermarket charge a £1.00 connection fee.

We used the electric heater and was £3.30 for the night. It was pretty chilly at the time though. No issue with the charges especially after going to the Fife Arms for a few drinks and a bite to eat!
It would be interesting to know how much it costs to charge the vans batteries from 80% to full.

We used the electric heater and was £3.30 for the night. It was pretty chilly at the time though. No issue with the charges especially after going to the Fife Arms for a few drinks and a bite to eat!
It would be interesting to know how much it costs to charge the vans batteries from 80% to full.
Yes we liked the idea of payg on electricity, solars a but harder in winter. Aye fife arms is good food, not pricey but lacked atmosphere. I hear the bar just before the bridge next to the butchers is the local choice, it was certainly more lively in January.

Back