Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone with chickens?

We quite often get a double yolker from the farmer son who has about 50 chickens just up the road from us.
Generally the eggs are much larger than the ones you buy in the supermarkets. They probably come under the category of Extra Extra Large. And taste beautiful. We brought one and a half dozen away with us, all gone now.

Just came across this posting, we had 5 chickens originally but now down to 3 and due to age they no longer lay every day. What I’ve noticed is however they egg we’re Now getting is super large. I’ve no idea which of the three hens are laying as they all go through the ritual of spending time in the coop. Clearly they’ve watched Chicken-run and don’t wish to end up in a pie !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right here we go, dope alert:
I see all you hen keepers calling the birds chickens.
I recognise it’s normal parlance, but it’s always prickled me a bit. Isn’t the meat chicken, and the animal a hen? Is it like calling a pig a pork, calling a hen a chicken?
There I’ve said it…
(Lovely big egg though Sidepod!)

Isn’t the meat chicken, and the animal a hen? Is it like calling a pig a pork, calling a hen a chicken?
ah! now that has created a new conundrum

I though a chicken was a baby hen. But thinking about it ... a baby hen is a chick. So a Chick-hen is a hen that is chick ... so take the H out of the chick-hen and it becomes meat?

#headscratching #sundayeveningblues

Right here we go, dope alert:
I see all you hen keepers calling the birds chickens.
I recognise it’s normal parlance, but it’s always prickled me a bit. Isn’t the meat chicken, and the animal a hen? Is it like calling a pig a pork, calling a hen a chicken?
There I’ve said it…
(Lovely big egg though Sidepod!)
chicken
/ˈtʃɪkɪn/
noun
1. a domestic fowl kept for its eggs or meat, especially a young one.

hen
/hɛn/
noun
1. a female bird, especially of a domestic fowl.

Back