Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone toured and camped in their Beach?

G

Gary217

Hi - I've been to see a Beach a few times and really love the build, finish and potential versatility. We have a T5 camper at the mo and we tour extensively in it - often for up to 5/6 weeks at a time, just using the van to sleep and live in - two oldies plus our lab.

We could do with a newer van as ours has done 125k and I'm really tempted by the Beach due to its versatility to double up as a load lugger and a people carrier. Also it has
- pop top
- full width bed (we currently only have a 3/4 so advantage!)
- tables/chairs
- swivel seats
- a (sort of) fridge as an option

...but it does not have a hob, sink, hook up, leisure battery or wardrobe unit.

We most often cook outside, we invariably use the campsite washing up facilities so I'm thinking we could possibly live in a Beach.

My question is - are there any Beach owners who have used their vans as campers for long trips, and if so any mods/compromises you had to make as it is not a fully fledged campervan?

Thanks

Hi Gary,

I have a three seater beach and have done a couple of trips of a few days, nothing considered long just yet, but as a touring machine, I see no real problem, we have kitted ours out with a Waeco CFX35 Fridge and use plastic boxes for storage.... like you we would choose to cook outside the van, and have something called a Jetboil for making a quick cuppa in the morning!.

We have invested in a fairly large drive-away awning meaning stays in one place are actually really comfortable for a few days or longer!

The beach does have a leisure battery, but no external electric hook-up... again not a big problem if you are touring and keep moving!

I'm sure their are those who think the cut-down cali is too compromised, but not for the three of us!

I hope this helps!

Thanks - my mistake re leisure battery!

Like you we have a drive away awning/tent but tend not use it much. Perhaps that would change.

Just done 10 nights in Switzerland. Awesome trip.
You got to pack the Cali very light. Cerals for breakfast plus i take a kettle and use electric hook-up for tea and stuff.
Lunch is normally sandwiches and evening is a mix of BBQ or restaurant.

I have the 3 seater Beach with VW coolbox and had an awesome time.
There were times we wanted more storage space but the Beach is just so versitile at everything i would'nt change it unless i was doing a 6 month tour.

E8EAC7CE-4609-42D5-A246-C103B3CDC4C5-870-00000082FFD5376D_zpsa325279e.jpg

CCDEAB03-C0B3-4872-9F97-21B626D40D1E-3253-000002F40CFCC1C4_zpsbb06128a.jpg

16DA5150-2479-4AEE-819E-3ECF4AE840E0-3851-000003FFD5957D9C_zps0f1cf41b.jpg

711491AC-8A1C-4119-803C-B5C7A1E30EFB-7972-00000712631E55DE_zps6d2b48a8.jpg

C66AF1EA-258C-4F42-A297-D4A0BC5F3A13-7972-00000712A3E3CC28_zpsb57d6d45.jpg

228C2383-F353-4D7D-A652-DB801D2943F3-7972-00000713AEDA460F_zps77dd85bc.jpg

Attachments

• E8EAC7CE-4609-42D5-A246-C103B3CDC4C5-870-00000082FFD5376D_zpsa325279e.jpg
    E8EAC7CE-4609-42D5-A246-C103B3CDC4C5-870-00000082FFD5376D_zpsa325279e.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 2
  • CCDEAB03-C0B3-4872-9F97-21B626D40D1E-3253-000002F40CFCC1C4_zpsbb06128a.jpg
    CCDEAB03-C0B3-4872-9F97-21B626D40D1E-3253-000002F40CFCC1C4_zpsbb06128a.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 16DA5150-2479-4AEE-819E-3ECF4AE840E0-3851-000003FFD5957D9C_zps0f1cf41b.jpg
    16DA5150-2479-4AEE-819E-3ECF4AE840E0-3851-000003FFD5957D9C_zps0f1cf41b.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 711491AC-8A1C-4119-803C-B5C7A1E30EFB-7972-00000712631E55DE_zps6d2b48a8.jpg
    711491AC-8A1C-4119-803C-B5C7A1E30EFB-7972-00000712631E55DE_zps6d2b48a8.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 2
  • C66AF1EA-258C-4F42-A297-D4A0BC5F3A13-7972-00000712A3E3CC28_zpsb57d6d45.jpg
    C66AF1EA-258C-4F42-A297-D4A0BC5F3A13-7972-00000712A3E3CC28_zpsb57d6d45.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 228C2383-F353-4D7D-A652-DB801D2943F3-7972-00000713AEDA460F_zps77dd85bc.jpg
    228C2383-F353-4D7D-A652-DB801D2943F3-7972-00000713AEDA460F_zps77dd85bc.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 2
redredzimmer said:
Hi Gary,

I have a three seater beach and have done a couple of trips of a few days, nothing considered long just yet, but as a touring machine, I see no real problem, we have kitted ours out with a Waeco CFX35 Fridge and use plastic boxes for storage.... like you we would choose to cook outside the van, and have something called a Jetboil for making a quick cuppa in the morning!.

We have invested in a fairly large drive-away awning meaning stays in one place are actually really comfortable for a few days or longer!

The beach does have a leisure battery, but no external electric hook-up... again not a big problem if you are touring and keep moving!

I'm sure their are those who think the cut-down cali is too compromised, but not for the three of us!

I hope this helps!

Jetboil --- :cool

The Beach is not a cut down Cali - I know what you mean by that but once you have had one you'll see that it is very distinct and in some respects offers more than the full Cali.

The downstairs full width bed is awesome. I think like everyone, if we are away, we have to have routines and a place for everything. We did a bit of touring last year and soon got used to packing and packing the van.

Cooking... Lots of Cali owners don't cook in their vans lol

James

I agree with everyone's comments. We went from a 2010 Cali to a 2013Beach. No regrets, much more space, great wide bed (with topper). It is also incredibly versatile to carry bikes and gear for us and three kids. We would not go back. We do not miss the gas and water as we just carry it in the boot anyway.

So far I've only done weekend camping trips in the Beach (2 seater bench version) but its been great. Planning a fortnights trip down to the Tirol later in the year combining with a triathlon so will test the versatility fully then.
I have added mains hookup and a kitchen pod with basic facilities. Cooker can be easily removed and used outside as well. A parking heater would be a very worthwhile addition in the future when funds allow.

Soulstyle: those pics look like Lauterbrunnen to me? I was there last year for the Jungfrau marathon. It was before I got the Beach but even then thought that campsite would be a good one to return to.

James said:
redredzimmer said:
Hi Gary,

I hope this helps!

The Beach is not a cut down Cali - I know what you mean by that but once you have had one you'll see that it is very distinct and in some respects offers more than the full Cali.

The downstairs full width bed is awesome. I think like everyone, if we are away, we have to have routines and a place for everything. We did a bit of touring last year and soon got used to packing and packing the van.

James
Cut down Cali..... How did I know you'd bite at that James!!

redredzimmer said:
James said:
redredzimmer said:
Hi Gary,

I hope this helps!

James
Cut down Cali..... How did I know you'd bite at that James!!

lol It wasn't bite :) I understand exactly why anyone would say that - that's what the Beach on paper looks like. As you know, when you come to own one it's completely different. I would say that in some ways it makes a better camper and tourer than a full Cali.

James

James[/quote]
.....As you know, when you come to own one it's completely different. I would say that in some ways it makes a better camper and tourer than a full Cali.

James[/quote]

That is where my thinking is going the more I think about it - ie lots of upside...but, has anyone got any thoughts on downsides? I'm not trying to negative, just trying to understand if there are any compromises/things missing so I don't just see them through "rose tinted" contact lenses.

(For me the downsides I've thought of are lack of fridge, possibly lack of storage space with no wardrobe, no water supply, no interior hob, no 240v hook up - and that's about it, all of which I could manage my way through methinks but lots of upside).

Thanks.

SE has a parking heater as standard which is an option or retrofit on the Beach. Or you could wear an extra jumper :lol:

In 'car' mode one possible issue with the Beach is lack of a load cover. Obviously anything that can fir under the extended multiflex board is covered but there will be times when (as a car) you have stuff in there that you want to cover which requires either throwing a sheet over or closing the blinds, all of which say 'theres stuff in here'. Not an issue for touring and camping though where there's no denying its full of stuff.

Gary, I was sorely tempted by a beach, but in the end a perfect-spec SE came up which I jumped on. As an everyday vehicle, I think the Beach is much more versatile (tho I use my fatty in that way too!)

I did investigate the kitchen modules which can be inserted onto the seat rails, or in the back under the multiboard which I posted in a topic here -> viewtopic.php?f=83&t=2866

Here's their new vid [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRbU_XuBlbs[/youtube]

Andy

My route to getting a Beach didn’t start from considering the ‘full’ Cali as I always assumed it was outside my budget. Was looking at getting a nearly new panel van and getting it converted to my spec with that spec majoring on versatility. Trouble was to get a decent spec base van and then add windows, a good roof, sliding seat system & rotating front seats the cost was pushing into Beach territory. With all the other benefits of having a factory conversion such as better base vehicle , factory trim etc it became quite an easy decision to look for a Beach.

Like you I could see there were some potential compromises in not going for a full conversion this was/is my thinking on each :

Fridge : yes I wanted one, actually preference for a coolbox . The Beach I got came with the VW one (made by Waeco) but I sold it on (via this forum) and replaced it with a compressor driven one that would fit better into the kitchen pod. The compressor in the one I have is the same cooling unit as used in the Waeco fridges so works just as well.
Kitchen: also wanted some basic cooking and water supply in the van, probably more for quick day use rather than extended trips. This led to design of a kitchen pod (see other threads in the Beach section). I did end up with a bit of a compromise here, my aim has been not to ‘damage’ any of the existing interior or fittings so the pod has got to fit around the existing interior trim. This has meant I couldn’t manage to fit a 2 burner stove + water supply + sink in the available space.
Twin burner stoves as well as being bigger generally need a piped gas source. This means to do it safely a proper gas locker that’s vented to the outside needs to be provided. All of this would have taken about half of my available storage space. My solution was to go for a single burner cartridge stove, pluses are much smaller, cheaper and it can if needed be used outside as well. Disadvantages are it’s only a single burner and the gas is going to cost me more.
Water supply also had space issues. To go for a sink meant either drilling a hole in the floor to deal with the waste water or having a grey water tank in the pod. Solution I have gone for is to have a fresh water source (plastic jerry can) with submersible pump feeding a hose. No sink, I use a washing up bowl instead.
240V hookup: Also wanted this and have gone for a medium simple solution. Socket under rear bumper, cable to consumer unit and couple of sockets. To charge the leisure battery I use a plug in battery charger (CTEK) which can connect to the 12V system via the existing 12V power sockets. There is also another person on this forum who is going to do a hookup via a socket in the engine bay and charger under the passenger seat. An even simpler solution would be a trailing ‘tent hookup’ type and leave a window open a bit to get the lead in.
Wardrobe: Initially thought this might be an issue but trips so far I have used the under bench seat storage for most of my clothing and soft bags for bedding and other clothes. Might build a half height storage unit in the rear at some point but it’s a low priority as the bag option works well. Does seem that even in the full Cali the wardrobe is not universally liked. I also like the good visibility to the nearside rear when driving, which you would lose with a full height wardrobe there.

Yes thats Lauterbrunnen, well spotted
Top place...!!!

[quote="]

Soulstyle: those pics look like Lauterbrunnen to me? I was there last year for the Jungfrau marathon. It was before I got the Beach but even then thought that campsite would be a good one to return to.[/quote]

I think I would like to second all comments on here. For me the only thing I would add is the 240 v hook up, oh and front blinds but you can't add those. I can't imagine cooking inside the van or washing up. We use a waeco compressor fridge highly recommend.

Owen h, can you explain the bit about the check charger to me? Or is thre another post I should look at? Thanks

Dale

Dalzios, what model Waeco did you get? I am researching one at the moment and wonder what volume you went for and do you just run it on the leisure battery?

dalzios said:
I think I would like to second all comments on here. For me the only thing I would add is the 240 v hook up, oh and front blinds but you can't add those. I can't imagine cooking inside the van or washing up. We use a waeco compressor fridge highly recommend.

Owen h, can you explain the bit about the check charger to me? Or is thre another post I should look at? Thanks

Dale

The thread with some pics of what I have done for hookup is here:
viewtopic.php?f=104&t=3650

Also one here about the kitchen pod which shows the other 240v socket I use to connect the charger to:
viewtopic.php?f=104&t=4130

My consumer unit is mounted on a kitchen pod but no reason why the same setup could not be used with the standard storage pod (2 seater bench version).

The charger I bought is this one http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-mxs-70.php and also the cigarette lighter cable http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-ciglead.php
As the 12v sockets in the rear of the Beach are connected to the leisure battery they can also be used to charge the battery. The charger is a nice bit of kit and should help to keep the batteries in good condition. There is no reason why I couldn't also use it to charge the main vehicle battery if on a campsite with hookup.

simon.foster said:
Dalzios, what model Waeco did you get? I am researching one at the moment and wonder what volume you went for and do you just run it on the leisure battery?

The volume of my Waeco compressor cool box is 31L. Its very similar to the CDF 35 but also has 240V built in. Dont think they do my model any more. It was originally out of a Bentley so is badged slightly differently. Least it was from a VW group vehicle. :lol: If on hookup I will run it on mains but most of the time I run it off the leisure battery. Seems to be a low power draw and I only need to have it set towards the 'cool' end of the slider.

Simon
We have the cdf 35 it's big enough for the essentials. Have run doff van for long weekend no probs haven't tried longer though without using hookup in our awning. Works really well on lowest setting. For a longer trip would use as freezer for food and freezing blocks with a normal cooler alongside. But there are 5 of us.

Owen
Thanks for the detailed info. I have a ctek charger so all I need is the lead to 12v. We dont use our van as daily driver so great to have a way to give the leisure battery a boost before a weekend away.

Cheers

Back