Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone tempted to hang up their keys?

I’m an anaesthetist and 63 this year. I still love my work and plan to carry on until I’m 67. However, I have to restrict my hours compared to what I could do because of the ridiculous taxation system we have. I’m actually worse off financially if I increase my hours - so many in the same position and retiring earlier than they otherwise would do.

I have absolutely no intention of ever working again, we travel 3 months a year, have sufficient pensions to be ok, and as many have said, people get ill and die early, enjoy what ‘well’ years you can. You won’t be lying on your death bed thinking about the time you spent in the office!

Absolutely.
When I went Part Time in 2016 age 38, some people accused me of being lazy and an under achiever.
The truth is, I had a couple of close friends that had died quite young and realised life was too short.
I wouldn’t call myself lazy, I’m a grafter when I’m at work. But I value my free-time over my work time.
I just don’t have the drive to work further up the food chain to gain a status which is of little interest to me.
Different goals.

It’s a fine balance between having to work and needing to work. I realised am happy owning less. Life experiences trump any sort of possession...

Many people don’t even start working until they finish university so let’s say 23. State retirement age for these is going to be 68 so if they expect a state pension that will be 45 years with majority NI contributions.
A private pension requires contributions and a really good salary.
The other way is to Work hard and save.
I made a very successful business but worked hard to get there taking financial risks but they paid off.
I’m proud of what I’ve achieved and wouldn’t have had it any other way.
The choice is yours.

The other way is to Work hard and save.
Years ago, on holiday in Spain, I met a Dutch couple who must have been in their late thirties and had occasional drinks with them. One day the conversation turned towards the employment situation at that time (70s). Asked about what he did the Dutchman said "No work; before now, work hard, make PLENTY money!" That always stuck with me.

After the appeal from the chancellor yesterday for those who have retired early to return to work to bale out the economy, anyone tempted to spend less time in the Cali and more time back at work?
After the appeal from the chancellor yesterday for those who have retired early to return to work to bale out the economy, anyone tempted to spend less time in the Cali and more time back at work?
I retired at 50 after 32 years but went back in a support role despite the additional tax and resentment from some elements of the organisation to ‘double dippers’.
Finally walked away at 55 after a meeting where the PowerPoint of our departments new structure did not include my role.
It didn’t feel like it at the time but it was the best thing that could have happened. I spent time with my elderly parent's, help the kids and have traveled. I’ve also seen to many ex colleagues and friends as my wife puts it ‘not make old bones’.
So ‘Jeremy’

C99AE24A-E15C-4A6A-BA54-6F1924B732A5.jpeg

On topic, I would happily spend time mentoring (say), sixth form students or similar. ...
I had the same thought when I retired in 2020 and found an organisation that has worked out really well for me and vanning. They seek a commitment to a timeslot for a half term and the beauty is that it's all online, so when necessary I've been able to hold some sessions from the van where there is reasonable mobile signal. They are well organised, supportive of the volunteers and focus on pupils who need a boost. I'd be happy to give more information.

Back