Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone tempted to hang up their keys?

Looking from the other end, for those starting out in employment a lot of jobs are starting to appear with a minimum age requirement of 25 because of insurance problems. Although they’ll probably have to work until they’re 70+ to get state pension.

Looking from the other end, for those starting out in employment a lot of jobs are starting to appear with a minimum age requirement of 25 because of insurance problems. Although they’ll probably have to work until they’re 70+ to get state pension.

Unfortunately I don’t suffer from that aspect anymore. But when I was in my early teens I was desperate to work.
Most employers had a minimum age of 14 or 16.
I set up my own lawn mowing business with the help of grandads mower and found a paper round delivering 11 papers twice a day. Sounds easy, but it was called The Bike round for a reason. Kept me super fit…

Yeah, it’s frustrating when you see an age minimum or limit. If someone wants to work, they should be able too…

With the cost of child care for pre-school kids now reported as £14k/ year, I wonder how many of the recently retired have taken up unpaid child minding roles for their offspring??
Oh yes, we’re actually child minding today. On a walk to the park to feed the ducks this morning we passed several other grandparents doing the same :)

I am totally with vmaxkiddy. Since retiring for over decade ago there have been so many projects, travel/journeys and as vmax says volunteering.

One big regret though......why didn't I buy the Cali sooner?

The opportunities for voluntary duty are legion. I get physically active, hugely social, perform useful duties, and contribute freely my professional expertise. And, I get out of bed in the morning at a responsible time.

The only downside is you never get a day off once retired!

After the appeal from the chancellor yesterday for those who have retired early to return to work to bale out the economy, anyone tempted to spend less time in the Cali and more time back at work?
So what about opportunities for the youngsters entering the market? And will the right honorable gentleman do the same when he retires? Rhetorical questions of course.

Time is so valuable.

Before I (early) retired 3 years ago I "cleaned up" my contact list from work. There were so many people who past away long before their time, it made me really think.

Nobody knows how long we stay healthy enough to do the things we want to do (whatever this is) that I decided to take it slower.

I am still in contact with old work colleagues which telling me how everything got even more intense and pressure is growing by the year. There are not many people left enjoying the work.

Only if needs must I would go back to work, but I am honest, I don't feel that I have to give something to society back. 40 years working (Germany & Ireland) is enough.

People don't understand that I am not bored, but I am not, not for one second. But only after 3 years I accept that it is ok to sit down for an hour in the garden listing to the birds or going for a stroll with the dog is ok. It feels to me that there is an expectation that we are always busy, always contactable and always on the ball. I believe that makes many people sick.

But also I accept that there are people who get fulfilment and joy out of their job, and that is ok, but for me (35 years working in IT end user support) it is time to let the younger generation take over.

Regards,
Eberhard
Well said!

Shows what the chancellor knows about retired people. I retired 12 years ago aged 52 and now I couldn't find the time to work even if I wanted to.
Never felt so relaxed and won't go back.
You can always get more money, but you can't get more time!

After the appeal from the chancellor yesterday for those who have retired early to return to work to bale out the economy, anyone tempted to spend less time in the Cali and more time back at work?
This rabble? Are they taking the p**s? I wouldn't work 10 secs for this dead wood

No way

I work full time anyway and still have time for holidays , weekends away and days out so a big fat NO

You are having a laugh, those of us who did the 30 years + and in some cases 40 years might just think one job was enough.
I did 51 years. Not going back now.

I left home at 17 and worked (not unusual for the 1970’s) , retired at 48 after a career in finance then set up a small gardening business to complete 35 years of NI contributions. I have absolutely no intention of ever working again, we travel 3 months a year, have sufficient pensions to be ok, and as many have said, people get ill and die early, enjoy what ‘well’ years you can. You won’t be lying on your death bed thinking about the time you spent in the office!
There was a very interesting article recently on the resistance of employers to employ anyone over 50 even at present so, even if you wanted to work you may find it difficult to get employment.

Well this morning I had an early drive to Poole to pick up Des Curtis a 99 year old WW2 veteran and bring him back to Wendover for a signing event at Aces High. Des flew Mosquitos in the war and is wonderful company. I do get a small payment for this but really don’t consider it to be work - more of a pleasure and privilege :)

View attachment 104511
Have you been to Salisbury Hall?

I’d love to know what retirement income you all live off. It’s very difficult to estimate how much you’ll need. How long is a piece of string!?

I know there are calculators for this stuff.

I quit my job in September at 52 because it was terribly paid and I was miserable but knew I couldn’t retire yet. Particularly due to Putin’s effects on my pensions. Arguably a very dumb thing to do. Definitely had a few worries about getting another job at all.

Thankfully I start a much much better job on March 1st. Feel very fortunate. No idea how long I’ll work for. The minute you think how much you might need to help your kids out it’s scary.

Last edited:
Did my apprenticeship in motor vehicle body repair then In Australia for various mining companies till my early 30s then Worked up to 60 as a building contractor until knees gave up. Then started up another business manufacturing and supplying motorcycle brake discs. Did better that I ever expected until Covid decided for me it was time to call it a day.
Started work at 15 and finished at 72 I recon that’s enough work for my lifetime.
After all that I need a hernia operation and was told by my doctor that if I expect to get it done on the NHS it will be about 5 years.
No choice now but to dig deep and have it done privately.

Do I feel I want to bale out the economy any more than I have already? Er let me think....NO.

I'm too old and full of arthritis to consider working again but . . . .

My only regret is that I didn't leave my stressful position sooner - I might not have had a heart attack! (It wasn't the job that was stressful, I loved that - it was the management!)

Back