Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone tempted to hang up their keys?

After the appeal from the chancellor yesterday for those who have retired early to return to work to bale out the economy, anyone tempted to spend less time in the Cali and more time back at work?
Nice one - best laugh of the day by far! :D

After the appeal from the chancellor yesterday for those who have retired early to return to work to bale out the economy, anyone tempted to spend less time in the Cali and more time back at work?
No but …..
it might depend on the job, the hours and the renumeration :)
Never say never.

I bought my cali, last year, as the first step to retirement.
Me too, although I'm forced to work another 2-3 years in order to achieve EU settled (resident) status. Plan is to unofficially retire at 62 (officially when I reach 65, to maximise retirement income) and the Cali Coast is an early retirement gift to myself.

You are having a laugh, those of us who did the 30 years + and in some cases 40 years might just think one job was enough.

Even if I wanted to return to work…. The law won’t let me! Commercial pilots not allowed to fly public transport beyond 65 (yet bus and train drivers have no limit, and they are single crew)

I would say its a good idea, there's way too many skilled people
just doing gardening and camping these days.
We need them back. We're gonna drown otherwise. Help.

I’m not giving up all my unpaid volunteer jobs to return to my former employment, they kicked out all the old buggers via redundancy, no way I would return, I do know they’re having recruitment problems.
In fact charities like English Heritage, National Trust, most museums etc would probably have to close or drastically reduce opening times if (early) retirees returned to the job market.

The Chancellor does not get it that with taxes so high there is little incentive, if any, for those that can afford to retire to return to the workplace.

Well this morning I had an early drive to Poole to pick up Des Curtis a 99 year old WW2 veteran and bring him back to Wendover for a signing event at Aces High. Des flew Mosquitos in the war and is wonderful company. I do get a small payment for this but really don’t consider it to be work - more of a pleasure and privilege :)

D53E42B4-E16C-4CC2-A92D-3D8AFE4C1FBF.png

I semi retired in 2016 and have no ambition to ever return to full time work…
Shame, my pension doesn’t even kick in for another 21 years :headbang

I intended to finish last year at 57 but due to the cost of living increases decided to stay on another year but expect to finished by June and Mrs K said she is carrying on working so a win win for me :bananadance2 :cool:

Experience in avoiding taxes essential,
This is a National Sport in Greece where I ran a business for a while. Plenty of advice on how to do it too. Let's face it, anyone living in this country with assets of half a million or more is likely to take advice on the best way of avoiding one of the country's most iniquitous taxes, i.e. death duties.
On topic, I would happily spend time mentoring (say), sixth form students or similar. I have also kept my C1D1 driving licence , intending to volunteer to drive the local Age Cocern bus.
The company I worked for had a compulsory retirement at 60 policy until, just when I turned 60, they ran into difficulties with the pension fund and the retirement age became 65. I was not happy; eventually retiring at age 61. This I regard as a good move, as subsequent events have shown that you never can predict the future.

Time is so valuable.

Before I (early) retired 3 years ago I "cleaned up" my contact list from work. There were so many people who past away long before their time, it made me really think.

Nobody knows how long we stay healthy enough to do the things we want to do (whatever this is) that I decided to take it slower.

I am still in contact with old work colleagues which telling me how everything got even more intense and pressure is growing by the year. There are not many people left enjoying the work.

Only if needs must I would go back to work, but I am honest, I don't feel that I have to give something to society back. 40 years working (Germany & Ireland) is enough.

People don't understand that I am not bored, but I am not, not for one second. But only after 3 years I accept that it is ok to sit down for an hour in the garden listing to the birds or going for a stroll with the dog is ok. It feels to me that there is an expectation that we are always busy, always contactable and always on the ball. I believe that makes many people sick.

But also I accept that there are people who get fulfilment and joy out of their job, and that is ok, but for me (35 years working in IT end user support) it is time to let the younger generation take over.

Regards,
Eberhard

After dealing with the HR departments and their ways over the past 12 months I dot think anyone will@

Back