Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone recommend a good cooking set for a califonia

We have tefal ingenio - handles all detachable so great.
Same here, they do handy plastic lids to seal stuff in for storage, and a strainer that fits inside one of the pans for pasta. All saves a little bit of space

Don’t have our California yet so can’t recommend based on experience. But on case it helps, I’ve found this list to be a good roundup of the cooking sets that keep coming as up as recommended when researching this topic: https://www.t3.com/features/best-camping-cookware-set

Personally, I’m leaning towards getting this stainless steel set with foldable handles and with lids that double up as colanders: https://www.primus.eu/primus-campfire-cookset-ss-small-p738002/ (because I really enjoy cooking on stainless steel, I try to avoid plastics wherever possible and I always stay well clear of non-stick coatings).

Make sure the pan diameter isn't larger than that stated in the California Handbook.

There is a Tefal set that does nest together as the handle does detach they are called Ingenio, get some none slip material to copy the Tefal packaging.
We have had ours for about 15 + years.
Also a ridge monkey and a Cobb.

Primus campfire cook set is excellent quality and packs up really small in a bag to prevent rattles.

A very good cheap option that all nests inside each other, is the IKEA pan set, when the pans are shipped the handles are not attached (apart from big one) Leave them off and use the primus pan holder, it grips the pans really well. Invert the pan lids when storing and it takes up very little room. They are surprisingly good quality steel pans. Total cost around £14 with primus handle

Same here, they do handy plastic lids to seal stuff in for storage, and a strainer that fits inside one of the pans for pasta. All saves a little bit of space
Me too, absolutely brilliant for the van

What set do those of you who have the tefal ingenio recommend, there seems to be a lot of options

As above tefal ingenio and ridge monkey for us, work perfectly. We also use the paella pan on the cadac bbq

We have the Ballarini set from Amazon and they are brilliant. The handles are integral and fold down when not in use. We tend to just use the the two smaller pans and take the ridge monkey as well.

MSR stainless set - had them for years from camping days. Lid acts as emergency frying pan and small kettle fits inside it all.

GSI Bugaboo are a great space saver
Have to agree with the GSI kit....but boy, is it expensive. I bought the 4 person kit 3 years ago and was amazed at the space saving design and brilliant way it packs up but it's virtually doubled in price since!!! Think it's now called the Pinnacle set. p.s also bought the 24 piece outdoor destination kitchen set at the same time which just as space saving. They do both feel a bit like 'gadget' camping items rather than the' home away from home' feel so not for everyone. We did replace the plastic cutlery with metal.

Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 09.52.38.png

Last edited:
I have a small diameter 3-tier steamer, a brilliant and cheap fry pan/egg poached (the sort my nan used to have with the plastic inserts) from Wilkinson’s, a milk pan and my 30 year old folding handle griddle pan. The fry/poacher probably gets most use in the summer and the steamer in the winter.

What set do those of you who have the tefal ingenio recommend, there seems to be a lot of options
There are lots of options, depending upon what you want to spend. We have the essential range, we store them in an ikea kuggis box with pan protectors between them. Best to think about what you intend to cook and what would work for you.

That comes down to how many pans you want, I can manage with just a deep frying pan. A lid is useful too. Detectable handle best. A wok could be used to fry and boil. Maybe see what pans you use most at home to help you decide on how many and style. The less you can manage with is better. For me one that works on induction is important as I only use an induction hob. I have a portable gas hop but currently it is in my garage in Spain as left to there in November thinking I would be back to collect it in April before I would be camping again. I left it to leave more room for wine.

We use a 24cm deep frying pan with lid and a small non-stick saucepan with lid. Also have an old Trangia 'frying pan' which we use for toast. We cook our meals in the van regularly.