Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone else camping on their drive tonight?

Two reasons:
We live in a small flat, which has a few limitations. Sleeping in the van, a more confined space with more limitations, makes us appreciate the benefits of our flat (such as space, flushing toilet, good lighting etc) all the more.
Actually, living in a small flat, we don't even have a driveway, and I draw the line at sleeping in the van in our (sloping) street. But I would if I could, as we can't go anywhere else at the moment. I've even slept out in a little tent on our roof terrace several times in lieu of a holiday. That certainly makes you appreciate the benefits of a cosy flat.
The last thing I would want to do is go on holiday to a massive 5-star mansion, and come home feeling dissatisfied with our circumstances, instead of feeling really lucky we have a nice flat and a superb van.
Forgive me if I have misunderstood your post but I question your apparent motive. Whilst I appreciate that everyone's circumstances are different and that for many, the lock down has been a total nightmare, what you appear to be saying is that you would love to sleep in your van purely in order to remind you of the benefits of your cosy flat. Put it that way, it sounds as if using your cali would be like banging your head against a wall, i.e it's nice when it stops!

Personally, I'd much rather wait until after the lock down and then use our van for what it was intended, adventure and exploring.

Is it just me?

I fail to see any attraction in sleeping on my own driveway, albeit in a Cali.
Really?? I think it’s a lovely thing to do especially when children are bored and have had put up with so much this year. Kids will remember lockdown camping for years to come and a chance also to get to know all the workings of the Cali before bigger adventures !

My godchildren camped in a tent last weekend for 2 nights and loved every minute of it. At half term I may well have a night or two on the drive for a cgange of scene! We slept on the drive the first night we got the Cali and have had numerous nights out there since when guests are staying, when noisy teenagers want to chat all night, and just because I sleep so well in there.

If you can get 14 of you in a van to party I guess you duck the £200 fine still have a good chance of scoring the £500 Covid incentive! Have fun!

We're kipping in it tonight. Had it two months and not overnighted in it yet.

A trial run ahead of camping in anger seems sensible. That's my excuse anyway.
You’ve chosen a cold night :) and snow from about 9am tomorrow and all day. Maybe break out the thermal poptop and screen covers. Nice and cosy :)

You’ve chosen a cold night :) and snow from about 9am tomorrow and all day. Maybe break out the thermal poptop and screen covers. Nice and cosy :)
That's part of the motivation, test the comfort of the VW mattress, warmth of the sleeping bag, see if the heater works - all within a few yards of the house in case we need to bail out. (We won't, we tent camped in freezing weather)

Really?? I think it’s a lovely thing to do especially when children are bored and have had put up with so much this year. Kids will remember lockdown camping for years to come and a chance also to get to know all the workings of the Cali before bigger adventures !
Not just the kids sanity! I really enjoyed the night and we reminisced about previous camping trips. My daughter also got to try our her new sleeping bag which was excellent.

like most people I’m having very odd dreams during lockdown. Slept like a log last night with arguably the best cuddles on the planet.

It’s sub zero in North Yorkshire and I’m camping on the drive in the van with my youngest daughter and one of our dogs as a ‘break from the monotony of Working from home and home schooling’.

It’s marvellous!!!
I’ve been camping on peoples drives since Nov. Up in Scotland now and it’s been -6 :thumb

I was going to, but I may chicken out as it's forecast to be -4c and snow tonight!

IMG_1771.jpeg

Not just the kids sanity! I really enjoyed the night and we reminisced about previous camping trips. My daughter also got to try our her new sleeping bag which was excellent.

like most people I’m having very odd dreams during lockdown. Slept like a log last night with arguably the best cuddles on the planet.
Brilliant our sanity is importantly, we can’t wait for ours to arrive and will def be doing driveway sleepovers to watch the stars from the pop top! #waitingpatiently

If you enjoy it then do it.

I'll pass.

what you appear to be saying is that you would love to sleep in your van purely in order to remind you of the benefits of your cosy flat. Put it that way, it sounds as if using your cali would be like banging your head against a wall, i.e it's nice when it stops!
Ha ha, I take your point! No, I think we are especially suited to having the Cali, being well used to living in a small(ish) space, and also being fairly small and tidy ourselves. It's absolutely a home-from-home. But when we get back to our (real) home, it's good to feel there are some slight benefits to counter the down-effect of not being on holiday.

Ha ha, I take your point! No, I think we are especially suited to having the Cali, being well used to living in a small(ish) space, and also being fairly small and tidy ourselves. It's absolutely a home-from-home. But when we get back to our (real) home, it's good to feel there are some slight benefits to counter the down-effect of not being on holiday.
Lets hope we can all get out and use our vans soon.

Back