Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anybody waterproofed the pop top?

K

Krispy

I just got to the part in the VW manual which says that the poptop canvas is not totally waterproof and should not be used in a downpour.

So, other than paying for a poptop cover, which I don't really feel like doing/can't do at the mo having just shelled out all my money for the van, I wonder if anyone has tried using a fabric waterproofing spray?

Ta.

It's actually like a tent, they don't usually leak.
I'd give it a try a few times before doing anything.
We used our old T4 Cali for 9 years with no problem and our T5 has also been fine.

Ours has been subject to pretty torrential rain and not leaked so I doubt you have much to worry about. Having said that, rain did come in through the air vents, so I suppose its true it isn't waterproof :D

we had a night in cornwall a couple of weeks ago where there was wet on the inside of one side (the wifes side,...) this was due to the rain blowing almost horizontally against the fabric. wasn't a massive problem and was localised to a couple of spots.

I seem to remember this been discussed previously, after being rained on a few times the fabric weave closes up making it more weatherproof ?

I think VW are just covering their backs, most canvas tents, I believe, need to be treated to maintain their waterproof properties. We treated out Kyham awning last year because it started to drip, it is much better now. The only reason I have not done the roof is because we use a Mutze cover, and there are always so many other things to do. But now you have mentioned it I may try to do it this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ours generally keeps the rain out but on one very wet and windy night my (18 month old at the time) daughter got soaked as did half the mattress.

I don't trust it and stick a Pucer cover on if there's any sign of heavy rain. Also best to our the roof down dry.