Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any opinions on types of wheel refurb .

Mimi

Mimi

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
My wheels are diamond cut Sportline alloys but they need a refurb . Spider like corrosion has taken hold and they look horrid . In your opinion what would be the best refurb . Another diamond cut that apparently lasts maybe anothercouple of years before they corrode again ? Or powder coating , or paint . Which would you go for and why . Thanks in advance

After my Mercedes wheels got the dreaded worming I had them stripped and powder coated gloss black. Against the Mercedes Red the black wheels looked stunning. If I remember right they cost me £240 but that was a few years ago.

My wheels are diamond cut Sportline alloys but they need a refurb . Spider like corrosion has taken hold and they look horrid . In your opinion what would be the best refurb . Another diamond cut that apparently lasts maybe anothercouple of years before they corrode again ? Or powder coating , or paint . Which would you go for and why . Thanks in advance
Check out City Powder Coating in Digbeth, Birmingham. They have a website.

I have had multiple sets of wheels powder coated over the years and vouch for their work.

If you can get to them then you can look around the showroom to locate the colour you want.

3 options....
1. You give them the alloys without tyres
2. You give them the alloys with tyres
3. You drive in with wheels fitted and they do it all in the same day

Check the website for pricing but last time I looked it was 1=£20, 2=£30, 3=£40 per alloy

They can also repair cracked alloys. Or road marked alloys

With the same spidery corrosion occurring on our small Audi, I will be having the alloys powder coated very soon.

Update: I have just checked the website. Prices per alloy have increased by £5, so 1=£25, 2=£35, 3=£45 per alloy

Last edited:

I have had multiple sets of wheels powder coated over the years and vouch for their work.

If you can get to them then you can look around the showroom to locate the colour you want.

3 options....

Check the website for pricing but last time I looked it was 1=£20, 2=£30, 3=£40 per alloy

With the same spidery corrosion occurring on our small Audi, I will be having the alloys powder coated very soon.
This sounds appealing especially option 3 Thanks

The diamond cut wheels on my SL55 corroded and looked awful. Had them recut and guess what, they corroded again. Then went for silver powder coat. Not as stunning to look at but no further problems.
Note, there is a limit to the number of times they can re-diamond cut a wheel.

The diamond cut wheels on my SL55 corroded and looked awful. Had them recut and guess what, they corroded again. Then went for silver powder coat. Not as stunning to look at but no further problems.
Note, there is a limit to the number of times they can re-diamond cut a wheel.
This is the good thing about modern powder coating. You are not limited by just having silver as the option. Colours like Titanium and GunMetal are popular. And as I said before, if you go in to the showroom they have a vast array of colours to choose from.

I’ve seen Audi diamond cut wheels refurbished in two tone. A light grey that was a close match for the natural lacquered alloy and a gunmetal grey that matched the OEM colour. You could tell if you got up close, but it seemed to be a really good compromise to original look and longevity.

3 options....

Update: I have just checked the website. Prices per alloy have increased by £5, so 1=£25, 2=£35, 3=£45 per alloy
Booked it in . Good shout . Many Thanks Alan

Good news. Which option are you going for? And what colour have you opted for?

Are you going to have the spare coated too?

Anthracite most probably . Just the four wheels . I didnt think about the spare!… but the spare doesnt match the other wheels anyway .Ive chosen the drive in same day option and time to shop in the Bullring . Ideal

Anthracite most probably . Just the four wheels . I didnt think about the spare!… but the spare doesnt match the other wheels anyway .Ive chosen the drive in same day option and time to shop in the Bullring . Ideal

Good news. You'll have to update us on the whole experience when done.

Please let us know how it goes interested in getting mine done , I guess they do original vw colour

3 options....

Excellent rate.

I was quoted over £100 per wheel by a local outfit to do the same
Bought new wheels and sold old ones as cheaper option.

It would be safe to assume that many garages would use this Business to refurbish Trade-in vehicle wheels prior to Forecourt display. Doing wheels to original colour etc spec.

It says 2017 price list. Imagine it’s gone up since then.
No I do not think so. The website is wrong. I received an email from them in past month advertising the 3 options and this pricing.

I had a wheel re-coated in 2020, and that cost £30 (with tyre fitted). They remove the valve, remove tyre, powder coat, then refit and rebalance.

So my Cali had the powder coating today . A first class service . A very friendly bunch . . I am very pleased with the result . I went for the “drive in same day “ service at £180 . They even fitted new tyres i had provided at no charge . I would recommend . Thank you all for your input .

If you like very shiny wheels, almost a chrome finish try:-Aerocoat.
info@ aerocoat.co.uk 01 493 488455 They are in Great Yarmouth.
We had a set of VW Golf anniversary BBS wheels done, and they look stunning.
£60 plus VAT. Found them very good to deal with.

Back