Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anssems GT Trailer.

RSMarco

RSMarco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Good morning all,
I would like to ask if anyone has an Anssems GT trailer and if so, which version do you have and if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on them?

I came across this trailer during a recent visit to the beautiful National Trust campsite in Eskdale. I didn't get the name of the guy I spoke to but he did say he was a member on this site.
What I liked about this set up was the access when the lid was closed and the option of fitting bike racks to the lid.

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Mark

Good morning all,
I would like to ask if anyone has an Anssems GT trailer and if so, which version do you have and if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on them?

I came across this trailer during a recent visit to the beautiful National Trust campsite in Eskdale. I didn't get the name of the guy I spoke to but he did say he was a member on this site.
What I liked about this set up was the access when the lid was closed and the option of fitting bike racks to the lid.

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Mark

@RSMarco , see here - https://www.t6forum.com/threads/which-trailer.28123/page-2#post-311398

Insurance issue that I wasn't aware of before sorting out the Cali insurance.

Up to 750kgs trailer is covered by the vehicle's policy but over that and separate insurance cover is required for the trailer.

Anssems new UK stock may suffer from a post Brexit hike.

We have an Annsems 750 HT 211 and it works well for us. Very sturdy and tows well. Insured separately for just over £100.

@RSMarco . Hi Mark, that was us. Trailer is a GT500-181 HT. Great bit of kit, very happy with it - ideal size for us, tows really well (450 miles each way on this trip, including over Birker Fell, no problems) takes 4 bikes easily (Thule 532 carriers mounted on square bars in the phot, you’d have a bit more space width wise if you used the t- track on aero bars), waterproof seal on the lid and can access contents through drop down tailgate when load on lid. Reversing is a little tricky as with any trailer of this size but fine in conjunction with the rear camera as long as turns not too tight. We bought from Fieldfare near Salisbury who I would thoroughly recommend and were a fair bit cheaper than any where else when purchased in June this year, although they said at the time that prices were increasing imminently; looks to have increased by £200 in the interim.
Nice to meet the 3 of you a couple of weeks ago, Eskdale is a great site and one of our regulars. Hope you enjoyed Keswick.
Please pm me if you want any more info.
Ian.

BD0B6CEC-22C6-4C30-BBBF-9054713C8AA1.jpeg

We have an Assems GT 750.

Brilliant trailer. So good you don't really know it's on the back when on the move. It's capacious, waterproof, secure with twin lid locks and unlike many trailers, is very well made. It also features larger wheels than most trailers. Yes, you can spec it with bike racks on top which imo is a much better place to carry them. The top makes a superb prep surface and table when camping and can also be used as a load carrying area. You can even mount one of those pop up fibre glass shell roof tent thingys on the 750 model.

We also have a Calicap pull out boot tray which can still be pulled all the way out when the trailer is attached. However the only thing you have to do when opening the boot is to drop the jockey wheel first otherwise it will make contact.

Good idea if you have a lot of kit. Although, if the main purpose is to carry bikes, I would get a longer trail with roof cover to keep the bikes dry and secure.
I have a 7x5 Daxara, which you barely notice is on the back when towing.

Insurance issue that I wasn't aware of before sorting out the Cali insurance.

Up to 750kgs trailer is covered by the vehicle's policy but over that and separate insurance cover is required for the trailer.

Anssems new UK stock may suffer from a post Brexit hike.
Hi,
Thanks for this information. I was planning on the 500kg model which gives me an extra 350kg load. Something to look into.

We have an Annsems 750 HT 211 and it works well for us. Very sturdy and tows well. Insured separately for just over £100.
Hi,
Thanks for this information. Did you take the insurance with the same company?

@RSMarco . Hi Mark, that was us. Trailer is a GT500-181 HT. Great bit of kit, very happy with it - ideal size for us, tows really well (450 miles each way on this trip, including over Birker Fell, no problems) takes 4 bikes easily (Thule 532 carriers mounted on square bars in the phot, you’d have a bit more space width wise if you used the t- track on aero bars), waterproof seal on the lid and can access contents through drop down tailgate when load on lid. Reversing is a little tricky as with any trailer of this size but fine in conjunction with the rear camera as long as turns not too tight. We bought from Fieldfare near Salisbury who I would thoroughly recommend and were a fair bit cheaper than any where else when purchased in June this year, although they said at the time that prices were increasing imminently; looks to have increased by £200 in the interim.
Nice to meet the 3 of you a couple of weeks ago, Eskdale is a great site and one of our regulars. Hope you enjoyed Keswick.
Please pm me if you want any more info.
Ian.
Hi Ian,
Many thanks for the information and replying to the post.
I wasn't sure if you had the extended upper but you have the single lid which is what I was hoping.

I think the 181 with the lid is perfect and your image confirms this. Plenty of space to transfer weight from the tailgate area and of additional beverages haha.

Was a pleasure meeting you and your family. Shame we were leaving the next day. Keswick (Castlerigg Hall camping site) was really great and I highly recommend the site. Fantastic location, facilities and views over Derwant water.

We will definitely go back to Eskdale and hopefully see you again.

Much appreciated,
Mark.

We have an Assems GT 750.

Brilliant trailer. So good you don't really know it's on the back when on the move. It's capacious, waterproof, secure with twin lid locks and unlike many trailers, is very well made. It also features larger wheels than most trailers. Yes, you can spec it with bike racks on top which imo is a much better place to carry them. The top makes a superb prep surface and table when camping and can also be used as a load carrying area. You can even mount one of those pop up fibre glass shell roof tent thingys on the 750 model.

We also have a Calicap pull out boot tray which can still be pulled all the way out when the trailer is attached. However the only thing you have to do when opening the boot is to drop the jockey wheel first otherwise it will make contact.
Hi Borris,
Fantastic information, really appreciated.
Thanks for the pre tip with the jockey wheel.

We also have the club shop pull out tray so being able to still access to some degree is good.

Good idea if you have a lot of kit. Although, if the main purpose is to carry bikes, I would get a longer trail with roof cover to keep the bikes dry and secure.
I have a 7x5 Daxara, which you barely notice is on the back when towing.
Thanks for the info. We definitely want to carry bikes on the trailer so will look at your point.

Hi,
Thanks for this information. I was planning on the 500kg model which gives me an extra 350kg load. Something to look into.
That's fine, although you will find that the longer the trailer the easier it is to reverse. Also the extra length of the GT750 obviously gives you a greater carrrying capacity and is more practical when looking at what you can attach to the top. The price difference between the two models isn't too much either.

We keep our GT750 permanently loaded with camping kit ready for the next outing. This includes our bulky blow up awning etc. However I must stress that we don't take it on every trip, only those where we need the extra kit, i.e when entertaining or camping with friends or family or when we are staying in one location for a long time. They also make the idea place to dump all the stuff you don't want under your feet in the Cali when both travelling and camping. So they help to create much needed space which is very useful in the confines of a camper van. Any wet clothing and boots etc can be securely locked away in the trailer when not in use. You could even sun bathe on the top if you were so inclined. Finally, looking at other applications, the top of the GT750 could also be useful to transport 8' x 4' sheets of various board back from your local builders merchant if you wanted to.

Last edited:
A detail to watch if intending to use a ferry is that in the case of Brittany Ferries up to 3 mtrs including the tow bar, ie from the hitch front to the rear, is one charge but over that goes up in 1mtr increments.

Trailers are normally given in the box size excluding the tow bar. Towbar part length varies with Manufacturer. I found that a 2mtr box was OK. 6ft being slightly less obviously within the 3mtr rule.

I once got measured at Calais. Not been checked by BF in the past when I've taken big twin wheel trailers across just booked as a standard trailer.

Really appreciate the input everyone.

Regards,
Mark.

Back