Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another ocean 6.1 problem, maneuver braking function not working

scabrero

scabrero

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I am talking about the park-pilot emergency braking function, not front assist. I found it was not working when I hit an obstacle while I was parking, and verified afterwards with carton boxes.

It is enabled in car config:

Foto_1__freno_maniobra_.jpg

But the button is always disabled in the park-pilot screen (top button in the bottom left corner):

IMG_0894.jpg

I also have a T-Roc and it works perfectly, the car always brakes automatically about 10cm from the obstacle and you can temporarily disable it pressing the button in the park-pilot screen.

I reported this problem to the dealer two months ago, the van has been for five weeks at the dealer and they don't have a solution. I know they are talking with VW Germany and have reprogrammed several control units without success. They also told me that a new Ocean unit they have just received has the same problem, so it seems VW continues producing defective units.

Do you have the same problem?

Mine worked first time I reversed closely to a wall. It’s the first time I’ve driven a car with this function to be honest and it scared the living daylights out of ones self !
But I reversed very slowly towards a barrier in Heathrow and I gently touched the barrier.
so is it because I was going so slowly it didn’t activate the braking ?
I’m not sure.
I’ll have to do the same, and try with cardboard boxes.

Mine worked first time I reversed closely to a wall. It’s the first time I’ve driven a car with this function to be honest and it scared the living daylights out of ones self !
But I reversed very slowly towards a barrier in Heathrow and I gently touched the barrier.
so is it because I was going so slowly it didn’t activate the braking ?
I’m not sure.
I’ll have to do the same, and try with cardboard boxes.

Maybe, I read somewhere there is a minimum speed to activate it.

Do you have other parking assistants like park-assist or reverse camera? Do the button work for you or it is always disabled like mine? Sorry for too many questions but I am trying to establish a correlation, maybe it fails only if you have plain park-pilot like me.

So what do you do? just ignore the beeps going mad & carry on until you hit something?

I’ll check once I’m back with the vehicle !

I hear the beeps, going mad, but the upright car park post in LHR is by the side of the vehicle. But the rear metal barrier is at the rear. So I hear the mad beeping for a while as it’s by the side. But the rear is still 1 foot from the barrier and the front of the vehicle is sticking out in the front by 1 foot. So I have to keep reversing.

So what do you do? just ignore the beeps going mad & carry on until you hit something?

In my case the kerbstone was high and I though it was beeping because of this and the bumper would go over it, but I didn't see through the mirrors a post that was just in the middle.

But apart from that, I use to expect things I pay for to work, especially the expensive ones.

Totally agree, I enjoy driving, I want to drive / manoeuvre the vehicle I don’t want the vehicle driven for me.

And I want to be able to make this decision by myself, not because VW sold me a defective unit.

Disclaimer:
Those VW fanboys who want to drive / manoeuvre the vehicle themselves and don't care about the assistants they have paid for don't work, please leave the hat and coat on and remain outside this post.

For everyone else who care, the problem has been fixed by the dealer. After some internal queries the dealer received instructions from engineering to recode the ABS unit and the system is working properly now. They explained to me it wan't a software update for the unit, they just coded it properly. Moreover, they told me some vehicles left the factory with this coding enabled and others disabled, and it is not possible to enable this coding in all vehicles (due to different ABS unit hardware/software I guess).

I might be wrong but I thought the rear brake assist was to avoid a collision with vehicles approaching rather than reversing into barriers and bollards etc, for which the driver gets an audible warning. The following is an extract of a VW article on this:-

Rear Traffic Alert protects against accidents while reversing; the system warns the driver of vehicles approaching at a 90-degree angle behind the car. If the driver does not react, the system actively intervenes with braking.

I’ve just been to another site this afternoon and I was reversing up towards a cone, that they put in place for engineers cars in the car park so the plebs don’t park, guess what ! My emergency brake came on and stopped instantly !

I’ve just been to another site this afternoon and I was reversing up towards a cone, that they put in place for engineers cars in the car park so the plebs don’t park, guess what ! My emergency brake came on and stopped instantly !
Interesting. I must test mine.

Interesting. I must test mine.
Do you have a spare traffic cone ?
It worked really well.
Not a meter height one, I reckon around 60cm tall
I think there a few around if you look around roadworks ;) :D

Is this manoeuvre braking ? We are talking about? 0D8A0D15-3AED-49B9-89E6-03248FFDD283.jpeg

Allotment cone test completed this morning and success the van automatically braked (albeit at the last second). :)
Just as a matter of interest, how close to the cone did it stop? The reason I'm asking is I shall shortly be moving and the garage is 5.1m long! It's going to be tight!

Allotment cone test completed this morning and success the van automatically braked (albeit at the last second). :)
So more of a problem that occurred in a vehicle that happened to be a 6.1 rather than 'another 6.1 problem'. I just feel like soothing the nerves of fellow 6.1 owners who know they have a lovely vehicle but some threads seem to suggest otherwise. I for one have had no issues at all.

Just as a matter of interest, how close to the cone did it stop? The reason I'm asking is I shall shortly be moving and the garage is 5.1m long! It's going to be tight!
I didn’t measure it Rololux but i’d say that you would be using your reversing camera and parking sensor sounder rather than the automatic braking system when parking in your garage :)

So more of a problem that occurred in a vehicle that happened to be a 6.1 rather than 'another 6.1 problem'. I just feel like soothing the nerves of fellow 6.1 owners who know they have a lovely vehicle but some threads seem to suggest otherwise. I for one have had no issues at all.
Same here, no issues other than the infamous bench seat failure.

Only a couple of minor software glitches here.

There do appear to be a few control differences for things like the auxiliary heater compared to the earlier models.

I think at some point I will actually have to read the manual.

I've managed 600 miles now & every trip is seeng the MPG improve, motorway then into Hillingdon & back today in rush hour saw 38mpg.

I posted the same issue a couple of German forums (https://tx-board.de and https://www.caliboard.de) and it is not just a problem in my vehicle, there is more people affected.

I posted the problem here not to blame Volkswagen, but to find if in other vehicles the system was working because initially my dealer and VW aftersales Spain concluded the system was not included in my vehicle despite having the option to enable and disable it, with ridiculous arguments like “the user interface is generic for all vehicles”.

Thanks to those nice persons who confirmed in the German forums the system was working for them I wrote a letter to VW Germany asking if the system was included in my vehicle, referenced by its VIN. One month later they sent me a formal letter, including the support case number and signed, confirming the system was included and encouraging me to take the vehicle to a dealer to fix the problem. This is what I did showing them the letter and asking for a solution. As it was written in German they forwarded it to VW Spain central offices for translation and finally they received the instructions to enable the function.

I posted the solution in those German forums and now more people is going to ask their dealers for a solution.

Goto disclaimer.

And I have to add this is not my first VW van, I had a T5.1 Multivan for five years and I loved it, I never had a problem.

I thought about install an aftermarket pop up roof but finally sold it and bought a new Ocean T6.1.

In the end I am satisfied with the change, but I think it has a lot of software problems. All of these engineering hours spent in developing the new WeConnect should have gone to test the embedded one.

Disclaimer:
Those VW fanboys who want to drive / manoeuvre the vehicle themselves and don't care about the assistants they have paid for don't work, please leave the hat and coat on and remain outside this post.
Its a shame you feel this way but I was only expressing a sentiment. Glad your problem is now fixed.