Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another newbie

DAVIESA1000

DAVIESA1000

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi, we’ve just jumped in and bought a delivery mile Dec 19 199DSG two tone Cali after hiring one a while a go to test out. hopefully it should be delivered next week as dealer seems happy to do it with social distancing handover.

Any tips on what are the first things we should get for it? As we have a dog and an 11 year old i was going to get rubber matts and seat covers but desperate for ideas of what is really needed.
thanks
A

Hi, we’ve just jumped in and bought a delivery mile Dec 19 199DSG two tone Cali after hiring one a while a go to test out. hopefully it should be delivered next week as dealer seems happy to do it with social distancing handover.

Any tips on what are the first things we should get for it? As we have a dog and an 11 year old i was going to get rubber matts and seat covers but desperate for ideas of what is really needed.
thanks
A

Welcome to the board and congratulations on your purchase.

I haven’t got a dog and haven’t got young children but loads in here have and their are plenty of old threads to read.

You will get loads of advice.

Mike

:welcome We got our Sep 19, just the two of us and a small dog. Seat covers a must, we bought Inka covers great product without spending hundreds of pounds. Thermal screen cover and cali topper porta potty 335 to start you off. But if your like us we did not stop there bought 2 sizes of awnings small 2 day Vango Siesta and longer stay Vango Calli compact

:welcome We got our Sep 19, just the two of us and a small dog. Seat covers a must, we bought Inka covers great product without spending hundreds of pounds. Thermal screen cover and cali topper porta potty 335 to start you off. But if your like us we did not stop there bought 2 sizes of awnings small 2 day Vango Siesta and longer stay Vango Calli compact
Thanks my wife has already said the porta potty but we’ve had lots of different views on this As it takes up a lot of space and is it really needed? I think we will get our first few trips under our belt and see what we miss.

Hi and congrats on the new Cali. Hope you find it informative on here and enjoy your bus post lockdown. We have a basset hound and as of yesterday 6 year old little one so went for jackyards seat covers. Not cheap but removable and washable.

Thanks my wife has already said the porta potty but we’ve had lots of different views on this As it takes up a lot of space and is it really needed? I think we will get our first few trips under our belt and see what we miss.
Congratulations ... And yes, that's the way to do it. In my list the few bare minimum are 2 things
A bungee cord for the popup roof canvas and
A spare safe lock for the spare wheel.

The other items, get them as you figure out what you need.

Enjoy!

Welcome. The one piece of kit I would recommend over most things is a Porta-potti. The 335 Qube can nestle under the shelf in the boot and be brought out when needed. It allows you to overnight in less well appointed campsites and will stop you fretting over ‘where to go’. They are well made, clean and hygienic and will last you for years. All the ‘other stuff’ you can amass over time. Good luck and happy camping-someday.

Welcome!

The forum question of what gear do I need as a new Cali owner is one that comes up many times every year - worth doing a forum search on any of the items you're pondering. (If you have any spare time in the next three weeks! :Grin ).

But the answers depend enormously on how you plan to use the van. Is it long trips or short, moving on every morning or longer stays, campsites or wild camping, cooking a lot in van or more walks to pub, expecting to sleep mainly downstairs or in the pop-top? Capacity of bladders overnight (connected to the pub question)? And of course, you may not know any of that for sure until you're tried out various modes of Cali'ing.

Eg, we've never once wanted/needed an awning (just two of us and a dog, almost always moving on every day) but there are folks who really need one (eg family and campsite stays) or just like having one as somewhere for the dog/kids to sleep or to sit out on a cooler evening. On the other hand we wouldn't be without a Portapotti whereas others are very happy with no loo or one of the 'pee bag' systems.

A good outcome is IMO if you end up actually using long term more than about 50% of the kit you initially buy. I think we did okay on that but still several things have gathered cobwebs in the cellar, eg a pop-top cozy cover.

Enjoy your planning.

Congratulations ... And yes, that's the way to do it. In my list the few bare minimum are 2 things
A bungee cord for the popup roof canvas and
A spare safe lock for the spare wheel.

The other items, get them as you figure out what you need.

Enjoy!
Thanks am i being daft what do you use the bungee cord for the roof canvas?

Thanks am i being daft what do you use the bungee cord for the roof canvas?
It helps (doesn't guarantee) that the canvas doesn't get trapped in the scissors when lowering the roof... Which cuts the canvas and can bend the roof!

Bog in a Bag. Minimal room , can be used as a spare seat with cover on, no chemicals .

Hi and congrats on the new Cali. Hope you find it informative on here and enjoy your bus post lockdown. We have a basset hound and as of yesterday 6 year old little one so went for jackyards seat covers. Not cheap but removable and washable.
Thanks I do like those

If you get the porta potty buy a Dunelm Mill foldable pouf/ storage box. The toilet fits exactly underneath it and the pouf is an extra seat in the van

If you get the porta potty buy a Dunelm Mill foldable pouf/ storage box. The toilet fits exactly underneath it and the pouf is an extra seat in the van
Is that the Foldable black cube storage box by any chance. It has a padded lid.

Is that the Foldable black cube storage box by any chance. It has a padded lid.
That’s the one. About £12 if I remembeR. Just make sure you have the correct porta potty. I think ours is a 335
we also have a thing called a Uriwell for emergency pees

That’s the one. About £12 if I remembeR. Just make sure you have the correct porta potty. I think ours is a 335
we also have a thing called a Uriwell for emergency pees
Thanks for that. Yes it’s the one on Dunhelm’s website about 16”x16”16” and yes we have the 335. Cheers.

Again, welcome and you’ll get great advise (and debate) on this site. We’ve had our van a year now and these were our purchase priorities (oh and we have a Labrador)
Safelock for spare wheel
Bungee for pop top
Waterproof seat covers
Rubber mats for rear area and boot (fitted ones from club shop)
Carbon monoxide monitor
Chocks and blocks for levelling on sites
Small spirit level for using chocks n blocks ( believe fridge only works when on level ground)
Small ladder to access upstairs bed (dog is downstairs)
Vango Palm air ( drive away awning) gives great extra space especially in wet weather
Steering wheel lock and wheel lock ( probably only visual deterrent.. if they want it ! ) but good on the driveway !

Mind you it’s taken us a year to amass this load and currently now considering the much debated Porta potty !!

Happy travels, when we all are let out !

Last edited:
Oh one other item for keeping the dog tethered when on sites ... Anchor fitting ( from club shop) attaches to rear floor and takes a long leash attachment !

Again, welcome and you’ll get great advise (and debate) on this site. We’ve had our van a year now and these were our purchase priorities (oh and we have a Labrador)
Safelock for spare wheel
Bungee for pop top
Waterproof seat covers
Rubber mats for rear area and boot (fitted ones from club shop)
Carbon monoxide monitor
Chocks and blocks for levelling on sites
Small spirit level for using chocks n blocks ( believe fridge only works when on television level ground)
Small ladder to access upstairs bed (dog is downstairs)
Vango Palm air ( drive away awning) gives great extra space especially in wet weather
Steering wheel lock and wheel lock ( probably only visual deterrent.. if they want it ! ) but good on the driveway !

Mind you it’s taken us a year to amass this load and currently now considering the much debated Porta potty !!

Happy travels, when we all are let out !
The compressor fridge fitted in the Cali are quite flexible about degrees of heel, now the old absorption type are as you say somewhat fussy about being level.

The compressor fridge fitted in the Cali are quite flexible about degrees of heel, now the old absorption type are as you say somewhat fussy about being level.
Thanks, that’s good to know as ours being a 19 plate means AOK !

Hi daviesa1000 - question if you don't mind?
We are doing the same as you and from the same dealer I'm pretty sure. How did you pay for your van? Its an issue as bank have limit of £25k per day transfer.

Back