Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another dumb Question! Which way to sleep...

Matthew Mills

Matthew Mills

Living the dream...
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
So which way does everyone sleep on the lower bed - head to tailgate or head to front? I think head to front but Mrs M is not having any of it!

Oh goodness, head by the tailgate, feet towards the loo so that during those ever so rare moments that I need a nocturnal wee I can do so ever so elegantly by just sliding forward feet first.

Head to front, mostly. If van is on a bit of an inline the head goes to highest point. Usually thought I find the rear most bedding is less well padded than the front end and sleep with head to front.

Head to front, mostly. If van is on a bit of an inline the head goes to highest point. Usually thought I find the rear most bedding is less well padded than the front end and sleep with head to front.
Common sense!

We had a poll on this some time ago, if you can find it ....

We found that, if you haven't got a comfort mattress or topper the bed is more comfortable head to front.

With the topper or comfort mattress it's OK head to rear, which is my preference, it's easier to get in and out as Jen says. However, Mrs took a lot of persuading to sleep that way because the overhead locker gave her claustrophobia :confused:

Now, when we sleep in the roof, we go top to tail! I'm head down the narrow end while Mrs is the other way as she can't stand the low roof at the thin end of the wedge :D Works surprisingly well, loads of room!

Head to the rear. Currently in the carpark of the wedding we've been to. On a bit of a slope so we're all head to the rear! Feeling very cheeky camping here but the hotel only has 9 rooms so they seemed happy!! ;)

I also thought the double glazing in the back windows was there to not huff up when you are sleeping with your head at that end?

If you're head was designed to go at the rear, the poptop would be higher at the back and not at the front. however its your van use it however you prefer :)

OP was asking about lower bed though :) never considered going head to tailgate upstairs - I would probably wake up in a panic

Lol oops hehe yeah me too.

In the lower part i tend to have head at back, just from habit of t25 days.

Last edited:
Sorry I disagree. The Pop top and elevating bed is designed to give maximum headroom in the central/front area.
At my age I prefer to crawl into bed rather than shuffle through 180* and I like my pillow to stay where it is. Just our personal preference.

But you've got the same reading lights x2 at the other end of the bed:) having said that we have head to boot downstairs & head to front up top. (and one side to side in a hammock) seems to give the maximum separation between occupants & if someone does use the the portapoti inside its not just couple of inches from someone else head!

More width with head to front.

There is a small reading light that is only useful if sleeping head to rear, and you wouldn't even find it unless sleeping that way round...
AND the blooming reading light is only useful on the door side. If you are sleeping along the units its too dark to read without a pesky torch or book light. Is only one person allowed to read at once in bed? Could I have had 20 years warning before i chose which side to sleep on?! £50k for a fancy van and I can't read in bed?!

Agree. We are both avid book readers BUT when SWMBO has finished reading then light goes out. But I stuck a little metal disk on the underside of the overhead locker and now have my own little LED light with a magnetic base. Means we also know where the torch/light is if needed in the night for those little trips after too much vino/beer.:thumb:D

If you're head was designed to go at the rear, the poptop would be higher at the back and not at the front. however its your van use it however you prefer :)
More common sense - exactly!

Conclusion... each to their own! Enjoy... I have to say I'm loving being a Cali owner already... Blackdown Beer Fest this weekend. Easy, press button sleep, wake make tea... love it!

Oh goodness, head by the tailgate, feet towards the loo so that during those ever so rare moments that I need a nocturnal wee I can do so ever so elegantly by just sliding forward feet first.
7 year old post and my wife is happy you made it :thumb

Back