Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Android Auto?

Viktorgeorge

Viktorgeorge

Starlight Blue Ocean 4Mo MY2023 older bellows
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I have an IPhone. I have not experienced the screen degeneration problems some other have with Apple CarPlay: avoiding Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze etc. and using TomTom instead - which as an app has been solid.

But CarPlay can from time to time (possibly after IPhone updates) annoyingly refuse to link with the car until I have replugged several times, or changed cables or re-started everything; then it can be fine for several weeks.

I have an IPhone X, and am about to replace that and wonder what experiences Android phone users have with Android Auto? Is it reliable?

I am thinking of either a Nothing Phone(1) or Samsung for the new phone; so Android.

Whilst my Ocean also supports MirrorLink and see that will discontinue shortly.

Last edited:
Been a AA user for 6+ years. I had some intermittent issues at the beginning which were likely due to a very low spec phone and/or cable. Since getting a slightly better phone AA has been rock solid for me. I really missed AA on a recent trip in a hired Sprinter based camper - the built in SatNav was garbage.

I have a 14 Pro and a decent cable. Never had a single issue. Carplay works every time and all the apps on it from Waze to Podcasts.

I would say for many 7/10 it is the cable. Two of the remaining 3 is old phones. At 2017 the X is quite old now and out of support - so no carplay updates since Sept last year.

The last 1/10 is reserved for those poor souls who never seem to get the screen to work or their phones. They likely full of static electricity.

I have a 14 Pro and a decent cable. Never had a single issue. Carplay works every time and all the apps on it from Waze to Podcasts.

I would say for many 7/10 it is the cable. Two of the remaining 3 is old phones. At 2017 the X is quite old now and out of support - so no carplay updates since Sept last year.

The last 1/10 is reserved for those poor souls who never seem to get the screen to work or their phones. They likely full of static electricity.
Thank you @dspuk & @RoB5urf, both posts helpful.

My AA connects automatically and wirelessly to my Pioneer unit, very reliable - mo issues. Conversion not Cali.

My s21 AA works perfectly at the moment.
I've had problems with Amazon music and Audible with previous software versions (no sound heard but showing as playing in AA) but they seem to have fixed things for now!

I have a Samsung a52, no issues. Use gmaps for Navigation with Android Auto

I have an IPhone. I have not experienced the screen degeneration problems some other have with Apple CarPlay: avoiding Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze etc. and using TomTom instead - which as an app has been solid.

But CarPlay can from time to time (possibly after IPhone updates) annoyingly refuse to link with the car until I have replugged several times, or changed cables or re-started everything; then it can be fine for several weeks.

I have an IPhone X, and am about to replace that and wonder what experiences Android phone users have with Android Auto? Is it reliable?

I am thinking of either a Nothing Phone(1) or Samsung for the new phone; so Android.

Whilst my Ocean also supports MirrorLink and see that will discontinue shortly.
My 6.1 connects to iPhone's CarPlay without a cable, this saves all the hassle. Have you investigated that as an option?
No advice on Androids, I'm afraid, never owned one.

My 6.1 connects to iPhone's CarPlay without a cable, this saves all the hassle. Have you investigated that as an option?
No advice on Androids, I'm afraid, never owned one.
Thanks, all, for useful feedback.

Yes my Iphone X is old, hence replacement now planned: given I use TomTom all the time (even if just for speed control and warnings without navigation) wireless connection would flatten the battery in no time.

It may be my USB physical connection which has been an occasional problem either because of cable failure, fluff or because it is just worn, but the fact that it works fine normally then would not connect (perhaps once a month or two) unless I reset everything does suggest it is more to do with CarPlay and software upgrades (the latter of which appeared to coincide).

I am glad to hear the Android Auto has proven generally dependable (noted this was not always the case).

The Nothing Phone(1) quite appeals as it is a UK Tech Start Up, and the phones are built in India, Which Magazine has tested and given it a 'best buy' and currently at £349 it is cheap by comparison. Anyone tried one?

Last edited:
Thanks, all, for useful feedback.

Yes my Iphone X is old, hence replacement now planned: given I use TomTom all the time (even if just for speed control and warnings without navigation) wireless connection would flatten the battery in no time.

It may be my USB physical connection which has been an occasional problem either because of cable failure, fluff or because it is just worn, but the fact that it works fine normally then would not connect (perhaps once a month or two) unless I reset everything does suggest it is more to do with CarPlay and software upgrades (the latter of which appeared to coincide).

I am glad to hear the Android Auto has proven generally dependable (noted this was not always the case).

The Nothing Phone(1) quite appeals as it is a UK Tech Start Up, and the phones are built in India, Which Magazine has tested and given it a 'best buy' and currently at £349 it is cheap by comparison. Anyone tried one?
The reviews are really good. The only downside they reckon is that battery life is not that great. If you’re coming from a 4 year old phone, you won’t even notice that as an issue as you will have struggled to make yours last a full day.

That said the X is a great phone and for £89 Apple will replace the battery and clean the connectors up again.

Sometimes though we just want the new, don't we?

Last edited:
The reviews are really good. The only downside they reckon is that battery life is not that great. If you’re coming from a 4 year old phone, you won’t even notice that as an issue as you will have struggled to make yours last a full day.

That said the X is a great phone and for £89 Apple will replace the battery and clean the connectors up again.

Sometimes though we just want the new, don't we?
I wonder how long a brand new IPhone (or new battery older one) would last running TomTom if not plugged in to the USB socket?

I think I did quite a good job cleaning the connectors using electrical contact cleaning fluid etc. but perhaps I should try your suggested route at an Apple Store, thanks for that. I haven’t visited one for years, i imagine you need to book an appointment.

Last edited:
I wonder how long a brand new IPhone (or new battery older one) would last running TomTom if not plugged in to the USB socket?

I think I did quite a good job cleaning the connectors using electrical contact cleaning fluid etc. but perhaps I should try your suggested route at an Apple Store, thanks for that. I haven’t visited one for years, i imagine you need to book an appointment.
It’s an impossible sum I think.

iPhone X has a 2,800 MaH battery, nothing has a 4,500 MaH. iPhone 14Pro Max (flagship) has a 4,300MaH

iPhone and Samsung have the size to create very energy efficient components. Nothing are constricted to cheaper less efficient ones because of their price point.

Running Tom Tom all day means constant access to the GPS chip, mobile data chip and screen. No phone can do that all day I wouldn’t have thought.

I've seen some gizmos recently that allow Android phones to connect wirelessly to the head unit. I thought this was a great idea until I realised I rely on that wired connection to charge the phone. Pretty sure my phone's battery wouldn't last long enough to navigate on a long trip.

I've seen some gizmos recently that allow Android phones to connect wirelessly to the head unit. I thought this was a great idea until I realised I rely on that wired connection to charge the phone. Pretty sure my phone's battery wouldn't last long enough to navigate on a long trip.
Yeah, I got one of these wireless devices off AliXP for my T6 - was an Ottocast A2Air.

Works pretty great. Takes 10-15 seconds to initially connect from head unit power up, but then the head unit operates AA exactly like normal. Except I can keep my phone in my pocket. Much better than remembering the phone after driving off and fluffing around and plugging it in - and then forgetting to take the phone with me again when I leave the van.

Wireless is great for trips around town, jumping in and out of the vehicle. For me, a worthy upgrade. But as you say @RoB5urf, it will slowly deplete the phone battery rather than slowly charge when plugged in. On a long trip I simply unplug the little box from the USB port, and plug the phone in directly instead - best of both worlds.

Requires Andriod 11 or later, with 5GHz wifi. Checking now, there is a slightly faster Pro version.

(Also, I had some random reboots of the T6 head unit early on before I added this wireless box, but a factory firmware update for the head unit seemed to stabilise that. And of course a digitiser replacement because that failed too. Sigh).

Android Auto works fine in our 2016 T6 with my Google Pixel6. Wasn't so clever with my old Motorola G7 Power. So I think newer phones seem to be part of the equation for success. I just use a Halfords USB C cable to connect.

Back