Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Android Auto Disconnects

RoB5urf

RoB5urf

Beach with 2-seat bench
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I specified App Connect on my Beach for use with Android Auto. I have to say its been great, really intuitive and Google Maps is so much better than the built-in TomTom I had on my last car.

The only downside is that occasionally the connection to my phone drops. There is absolutely no pattern to this behaviour - it might happen 5 mins into my trip, 60 mins, once, twice or never. So far I've tried better quality and shorter USB cables and closing down all unwanted apps before connecting. I've noticed my phone does get quite hot so maybe it's having to work too hard but I've read of people having the same issue but with better phones.

Its a PITA, requiring my copilot to unplug it, have a fiddle and then reconnect it.

If I thought the phone was the issue I would go and get a better one because I want to keep using Android Auto.

Can anybody share their experiences of App Connect / Android Auto (good or bad) and maybe offer any advice?

My phone is a Moto E (2nd Gen) running Android 6.0 (Marshmallow).

I have two phones both OnePlus and they have had issues in the past but I believe that its more than likely a phone issue. I've not had disconnected as such but did have an issue where the dialler would crash the phone that seems to have been resolved on the new mobile. I suspect that my issue was permissions I wonder if yours is too. Have you tried using Android Auto stand alone rather than through app connect? How does it react to that?

Does app connect use bluetooth? I understand the implementation of bluetooth on some android models is a bit flakey. I have a Samsung S5 and solved my connections with an app from the app store called bluetooth connect. One of its settings is to reconnect if the connection drops. I don't have app connect but this solved my bluetooth streaming problem.

I had problem with app connect but not Bluetooth if I recall correctly. After much wasted time messing about, I used the usb cable that came with the phone. That cured the problem and all connections are rock solid now.

Does app connect use bluetooth? I understand the implementation of bluetooth on some android models is a bit flakey. I have a Samsung S5 and solved my connections with an app from the app store called bluetooth connect. One of its settings is to reconnect if the connection drops. I don't have app connect but this solved my bluetooth streaming problem.

I posted a reply to this, topic it appears on my mobile using cCrome but not on my laptop using Chrome! Odd

I am new to Android Auto am loving how it works. However, a few times it will not start or connect. The head unit shows that it has recognised the phone, it gives a message saying that it is reading the USB, offers the phone and the option for Android auto or mirror link but then fails to connect.

Once it is in this mode I have not found a way to get out of it other than the next time I use the van (usually) it will magically start and work seamlessly as it should.

This weekend I had a 3 hour drive and ran into the problem. I (or rather a passenger) tried: restarting the phone, changing to a different phone, and using a different USB lead and nothing worked. I also tried stopping and switching off the engine but that didnt work. When after 3 hours I stopped for a couple of minutes to help my passenger out it worked fine when I set off again.

Am I alone with this experience?

Does anyone know a way to reset or restart Android Auto other than switching off, waiting an unknown amount of time and hoping it will start properly next time?

Thank you

heres what i find works best. before plugging in the phone. turn on wifi ,bluetooth and loction. then put the phone in standby so the screen is asleep. then plug it in and give it a minute or 2 before pressing connect. works everytime

I use android auto. Plugging in and out every time was not the best experience. For example, every time i wanted to take a pic using the camera I had to unplug, which disconnected Android Auto.

The solution
1. Get a wireless Android Auto Dongle. I got one from AAWireless (https://www.aawireless.io/). Works perfect. There are ones from Motorola available on Amazon. But a brand that is well supported - AAWireless is well supported and there are regular software releases. When you start the van, the system boots up and wirelessly connects to your phone - automatically.
2. Get a magnetic phone charging cord - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JZMY6PP/?tag=eliteelect-21 - each time you pick up your phone, the cable disconnects automatically and you do not have to plug in/unplug

... and now because it is wirelessly connected to Android auto - it stays connected and on all the time.

Not a solution to your problem, but could be a possible solution (but may also add another different set of problems). But a new set of problems for convenience may be good ;)

I am new to Android Auto am loving how it works. However, a few times it will not start or connect. The head unit shows that it has recognised the phone, it gives a message saying that it is reading the USB, offers the phone and the option for Android auto or mirror link but then fails to connect.

Once it is in this mode I have not found a way to get out of it other than the next time I use the van (usually) it will magically start and work seamlessly as it should.

This weekend I had a 3 hour drive and ran into the problem. I (or rather a passenger) tried: restarting the phone, changing to a different phone, and using a different USB lead and nothing worked. I also tried stopping and switching off the engine but that didnt work. When after 3 hours I stopped for a couple of minutes to help my passenger out it worked fine when I set off again.

Am I alone with this experience?

Does anyone know a way to reset or restart Android Auto other than switching off, waiting an unknown amount of time and hoping it will start properly next time?

Thank you
I had a similar problem. I tried a variety of cables after messing around with the phone. In the end I tried the cable that came with the phone and all has been well since. It appears not all cables are equal when it comes to data.

Back