Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Always On Rear View Mirror Camera System.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Has anyone fitted an 'always on' rear view mirror camera system. I already have a reversing camera on my 2020 T6.1 Ocean so don't need a reversing camera but do need an 'always on' system to replace the rear view mirror which is useless with the rear fully loaded ? I don't want to invalidate the warranty in any way so would appreciate some advice.

It was a simple question - I would have hoped for some constructive responses not opinions about whether you think I need one or not !!!
Fair comment. Claire has such a thing on her Evoque. Takes some getting used to but it’s ok. Switchable between mirror and camera.

Last edited:
It was a simple question - I would have hoped for some constructive responses not opinions about whether you think I need one or not !!!
The simple answer is, you will not be able to use your present camera and screen as it is all tied into the electronics of the vehicle. You are therefore dependant on 3rd party systems of a camera, either hardwired or WiFi to a secondary screen on the dash or replacing your cabin rearview mirror. It would have to be ignition controlled and of good quality for night time use. The camera would be better fitted Internally on the tailgate using a rear window wiper to keep glass clean as it would be in constant rather than intermittent use.
The cost effective route would be to learn to depend on the wing mirrors with possible mirror extensions as used when towing.

No wonder your van sits lower at the rear if you load it so full you can’t see out of the back window.

Haha, that's sorted now by the way, Eibach have finally advised the solution to VW - after months of VW denying there was a problem - they really are useless. No more 'saggy bottoms'.

The simple answer is, you will not be able to use your present camera and screen as it is all tied into the electronics of the vehicle. You are therefore dependant on 3rd party systems of a camera, either hardwired or WiFi to a secondary screen on the dash or replacing your cabin rearview mirror. It would have to be ignition controlled and of good quality for night time use. The camera would be better fitted Internally on the tailgate using a rear window wiper to keep glass clean as it would be in constant rather than intermittent use.
The cost effective route would be to learn to depend on the wing mirrors with possible mirror extensions as used when towing.
Thanks, no matter how much you 'learn' to depend on your wing mirrors they will never be able to give you a full view of the road behind you.

Thanks, no matter how much you 'learn' to depend on your wing mirrors they will never be able to give you a full view of the road behind you.
‘If you can’t see my mirrors, I can’t see you’

You could fit another mirror in a lower position on the windscreen, plenty available with sucker attachments.
Some on here have the rear window blind down all the time/95% tint etc, they just enjoy using their wing mirrors and are slightly scathing of people who need a more complete view.

You could fit another mirror in a lower position on the windscreen, plenty available with sucker attachments.
Some on here have the rear window blind down all the time/95% tint etc, they just enjoy using their wing mirrors and are slightly scathing of people who need a more complete view.
Nothing scathing in my comments, slightly or otherwise.

Had a hunt around to see if any possibility. Nothing found just how to add a reversing camera.

I did consider use of VCDS to make it active permanently but then possibly no other display function available.

3 possible options to consider/investigate.
Add a WiFi camera and link to it on the display?? or simply use a smartphone as display.

Add a second rear view camera and dedicated display.

Add a Front & Rear view camera system with the rear view displayed on the screen. bit small possibly
Something like this. Camera could be mounted inside on the drop down storage unit to simplify wiring.

Why on earth would anyone be 'slighty scathing' of anyone wanting a more compmete view of what's behind them ??? And also 'enjoy' (just) using their wing mirrors ??? Bewildered !!!!!

Had a hunt around to see if any possibility. Nothing found just how to add a reversing camera.

I did consider use of VCDS to make it active permanently but then possibly no other display function available.

3 possible options to consider/investigate.
Add a WiFi camera and link to it on the display?? or simply use a smartphone as display.

Add a second rear view camera and dedicated display.

Add a Front & Rear view camera system with the rear view displayed on the screen. bit small possibly
Something like this. Camera could be mounted inside on the drop down storage unit to simplify wiring.

Thanks, now found a system with a screen that replaces the interior rear view mirror with a rear wifi camera. Looks like it will do the trick. Not sure why some people have been so dismissive of my post. I note many new HGVs now have this type of system installed and it has also started to appear on some new cars. Anything that improves safety is good in my book.

:Iamsorry have to Disagree on that point. Unless you're reversing, and that's where the reversing camera comes in, it is more important to see which vehicles are approaching and/or in parallel lanes.
If you have got rid of the " optical" rear sag then that means your vehicle is nose down making the cabin rear view mirror less useful.
Best of luck in your quest. Obviously the lack of such 3rd party systems to correct this perceived problem says it all.

Has anyone fitted an 'always on' rear view mirror camera system. I already have a reversing camera on my 2020 T6.1 Ocean so don't need a reversing camera but do need an 'always on' system to replace the rear view mirror which is useless with the rear fully loaded ? I don't want to invalidate the warranty in any way so would appreciate some advice.
One idea...Disconnect the reverse sensor on your Head unit & then the reverse camera should be on permanently?

Or change your Headunit to something like a Kenwood. Fit front / rear dash cams, All Cameras can then be viewed on the Head unit (incl your VW reverse camera). They supply an additional box for approx £200 which will allow vw steering controls to function, climate control to show on the head unit etc.

Last edited:
Thanks, now found a system with a screen that replaces the interior rear view mirror with a rear wifi camera. Looks like it will do the trick. Not sure why some people have been so dismissive of my post. I note many new HGVs now have this type of system installed and it has also started to appear on some new cars. Anything that improves safety is good in my book.
When I ran HGV's it became mandatory on the Contract work undertaken to have one fitted as far back as 20 years ago approx.
Didn't have it on permanently although some did.

I find that the rear view mirror pretty useless due to my height combined by the rear seat headrests and the rear drop down locker restricting the actual visable area.

When I ran HGV's it became mandatory on the Contract work undertaken to have one fitted as far back as 20 years ago approx.
Didn't have it on permanently although some did.

I find that the rear view mirror pretty useless due to my height combined by the rear seat headrests and the rear drop down locker restricting the actual visable area.
Thanks, yes thats my issue.

On the rare occasion that I have driven the van on my own, without the Mrs and kids, then I have dropped the rear passenger head rests. Visibility is then just like a normal car.

Have you looked at systems for people towing caravans etc.? Camera on caravan and wifi connection to a screen on the dash. Stays on permanently when driving. Would that suit your purpose?

Haha, that's sorted now by the way, Eibach have finally advised the solution to VW - after months of VW denying there was a problem - they really are useless. No more 'saggy bottoms'.
would you mind explaining how, what you installed from Eibach please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back