Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alloys, 17" or 18" with a 45mm drop?

mal-practice

mal-practice

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hi Guys,

I've been pondering this dilemma all winter and now it's time to make the decisions.

I'm going to lower the van with Eibach Pro springs as they seem to be the best for the van giving it a drop of 45mm, but do I get 17 or 18" wheels? With 18s you get a lot more choice and would obviously look better but i'm worried the ride will be too harsh?

These are what I might get but in black, load rated to 1000kg per wheel!

http://www.rimstyle.com/alloywheels/whe ... k_polished

What are your thoughts, should I go for 17s, 18s, or even a different spring?

Any help much appreciated.

Personally I don't like the big wheel/low profile tyre look on a T4. Not unless you've got some socking great big discs and calipers to show off, anyway :p Those 18s are going to look very empty inside with the standard T4 brake setup...

I wouldn't go any bigger than 16. But that's probably just me.

You did ask! :bananadance

Quite like those :thumb They remind me (a bit) of the original Multivan wheels...

As for harshness, on my car I run 16s in the winter and 18s in the summer. I wouldn't say the 16s are noticeably more comfortable.

That's handy to know.

Ordered the Eibach springs today so i'll fit them first and see what the ride is like before deciding on the wheels.

I've got the eibach springs on mine and the ride is fine, not harsh or trashy like some cheaper springs. Mine are soon coming off though as I want it a bit lower .

SebRogers said:
Will you be selling the springs? :thumb

Yes, I'll be selling the eibach's once removed, hoping to get it done before the end of the month, you interested?

I might be, depending on price (I seem to be having a late post-Christmas cashflow crisis!)

Let me know anyway. I can't receive PMs on here but you can reach me here: snapperseb at +++++ dot com. If you drop me a line when the springs are available, with a price, I'll get straight back to you to let you know if I'm in a position to buy or not.

Thanks!

Ok no worries, will let you know when I've got them off the van. I'll probably post an advert on here too.

I had a similar concern on my T5. I had -30mm springs and 17" wheels and wasn't sure whether to go to the 18". I liked the look (a lot) but didn't want to ruin the ride.

After nearly 18 months thinking about it I swapped and can't tell the difference in ride. It looks much more how I want it so I'm delighted - wish I'd done it earlier.

PS - like your choice of wheel, bit of a retro look.