Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All Season Tyre Suggestion - Michelin CrossClimate +

That's the interesting part....they have (to the eye) exactly the same pattern, and the same load rating (which I think is as close to get to measuring the strength of the side walls). I'm VERY happy with mine, just confused!
Took lots of online delving to find the difference.

the stronger sidewall is to make them more suitable to track and field use, the SUV theoretical useage, in that there is a stronger sidewall rubber part, to withstand rut and stone potential damage.
The tread is said to be more of a V cut rather than an I slit.
The load rating is related to the tyre carcase cord strength not the rubber thickness.

We've had the CrossClimate+ tyres on our Cali for a month and a half now and it's been good, though no snow to properly test them out on!

However, twice now I've had the California loss of tyre pressure warning come on for the rear-left tyre, despite recalibrating the tyres on the system when they were fitted. When I've checked the pressure, it's been fine.

Is anyone else getting this?

We've had the CrossClimate+ tyres on our Cali for a month and a half now and it's been good, though no snow to properly test them out on!

However, twice now I've had the California loss of tyre pressure warning come on for the rear-left tyre, despite recalibrating the tyres on the system when they were fitted. When I've checked the pressure, it's been fine.

Is anyone else getting this?
I've had a similar problem with different tyres/wheels. never got to the bottom of it but not had it for a good few months now. mostly on right rear in my case.
VW said nothing found wrong although lots of faults logged.

Now that its gone I'm not resetting the pressure monitor any more.

@B J G Thanks - I'll keep monitoring it, but doesn't seem to be an actual problem, just the vehicle telling me it is. Glad I'm not the only one I guess!

After almost 3 years on the same set of Bridgestones its time for me to shop for new tyres. Been looking at Crossclimates today and although Agilis are meant for vans you can't buy them in 235/55 R17. Shame really as the suggested extra durability is appealing. So if I go for these its a toss-up between SUV and +. Probably the latter for my 2WD Beach.

Could you not just run the 235/55 R17...?
Size wise they will be fine, it’s the speedo will be out slightly.
Marginal...?

Yep, it's complex. The Agilis is available for the 215x60 size fitted to some Cali's. They have a very high load rating (107/109) and have a very different pattern to the SUV and the + models.
What's the load rating of the + model in the 235s? I went for the 235 SUV following my own thread on the confusing choice.
The 215x60x17s are available in a load rating of 104/102H.
Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 11.32.42 PM.png

I had a warning for the rear left but I have dunlop wintersport 3d on 215/60/17.

Obviously checked and reset, never had it again.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

I had a warning for the rear left but I have dunlop wintersport 3d on 215/60/17.

Obviously checked and reset, never had it again.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Update on mine (with CrossClimates) - must’ve been a slow puncture that’s got worse over time and now caused a tear in the tyre wall. New tyre on order - only had the CrossClimates a month or so!

@B J G Thanks - I'll keep monitoring it, but doesn't seem to be an actual problem, just the vehicle telling me it is. Glad I'm not the only one I guess!
I did find that resetting needed to be done with no sun on either side as it's surprising how the heat on one side gives an unbalanced pressure reading between tyres in or out of the suns rays. One of those 'obvious' things that I neglected.

Our previous EOS only once in 9 years gave a false tyre warning.
Having one in the Cali on the M25 when it was in smart motorway mode with hard shoulder use wasn't a good experience, enroute to the Ferry.

I did find that resetting needed to be done with no sun on either side as it's surprising how the heat on one side gives an unbalanced pressure reading between tyres in or out of the suns rays. One of those 'obvious' things that I neglected.

Our previous EOS only once in 9 years gave a false tyre warning.
Having one in the Cali on the M25 when it was in smart motorway mode with hard shoulder use wasn't a good experience, enroute to the Ferry.
Shouldn't make any difference because after pressing the Reset the vehicle has to travel about 5 Km for the computer to assess the ABS sensor Data for each wheel and then set that as the reference point.

Just replaced all 4 of my tyres with cross climate + SUV 235 / 55 / R17. Very impressed with the ride compared to previous Goodyear vectors. Just hoping they last a bit longer than 13k for the fronts which is what I got from the Goodyear.

I'm surprised how sensitive people find the tyre pressure warning. One of my old tyres had a slow puncture and the warning was consistent in only coming on once the tyre had lost 10psi or about 25% of it's pressure.

Just replaced all 4 of my tyres with cross climate + SUV 235 / 55 / R17. Very impressed with the ride compared to previous Goodyear vectors. Just hoping they last a bit longer than 13k for the fronts which is what I got from the Goodyear.

I'm surprised how sensitive people find the tyre pressure warning. One of my old tyres had a slow puncture and the warning was consistent in only coming on once the tyre had lost 10psi or about 25% of it's pressure.
That's how the passive TPMS is supposed to work . Alarming at about 20% pressure difference.

I presume you have 2WD vehicle?

The system doesn't detect any % pressure but tyre diameter difference and only when driving. So at some higher pressure changes the diameter of the tyre doesn't change much.

. Just hoping they last a bit longer than 13k for the fronts which is what I got from the Goodyear.
interesting, my Vectors have lots of tread left and have covered approx 22k.

That's how the passive TPMS is supposed to work . Alarming at about 20% pressure difference.

I presume you have 2WD vehicle?

It is 2wd. Back tyres have managed 45k so not bad on balance. I should swap them round really but that's a job I'm not likely to get round to!

interesting, my Vectors have lots of tread left and have covered approx 22k.
[/QUOTE

Must be my driving!

Still and improvement over my last car (BMW) which happily chewed up £350+ of rear tyres every 10k miles.

Feeling very happy I stuck a new set of rubber, Michelin cross climate SUV on mine last month.
I was weighing it up as the stock summers it came with were still legal and would no doubt have got me to next winter.
Decided not worth the risk and whilst doing about 50 today on a cold very wet day the genius in front of me decided he had missed his turning, hit the breaks and stopped in front of me. My other half screamed and I just crashed the break pedal, there was nowhere to go other than up the back of the idiot or into oncoming traffic. The three ton break reacted exactly as it should with red lights flashing and ABS kicking in.
Without the cross climates and new rubber I would now be speaking to my insurance company and the genius would be in hospital.
Once stopped he decided to put on his right indicator and engage reverse to get back to his missed turning. I hit and held my horn which stopped him so rather than reverse back on an A road he gave me the finger and drove on.

Moral of the story. Don’t skimp on the rubber as it can be very expensive

Mike

I was advised not to fit the SUV version of these tyres to my 204 4Motion Ocean. Instead they said to go for the standard XL version.

the genius in front of me decided he had missed his turning, hit the breaks and stopped in front of me.
Moral of the story. Don’t skimp on the rubber as it can be very expensive
Always keep the distance is a better moral here.

Always keep the distance is a better moral here.

Thanks for that.

If I hadn’t been keeping my distance I would not have been able to react to a completely idiotic action.

The point was about having decent tyres as was the thread.

It seems it is almost impossible to post anything on here without some self righteous judgemental comment. One of the reasons I rarely bother now.

Mike

I had four cross climates fitted to my golf over 4 years ago. Now done 20k miles and still around 5 mm tread on them. They are fantastic all rounders. Quieter than most tyres and grip in the wet is amazing. Had a set put on our Cali 2 years ago now as well although they were a lot more expensive being the higher load rating /size. Well worth it though.

Just put a set on our PHEV.

If your buying via Tyres on the Drive then CHECK10 gives you a 10% discount

IMG_20200219_194841.jpg

Last edited:
Did they say why?
Mitchelin Technical Support said the SUV tyres are optimised for heavy cars that spend much of their time in muddy conditions where as the XL are optimised for heavy vehicles that spend much of their time on the road

Back