Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alarm question when camping

Renaissance-Man

Renaissance-Man

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi folks,
Can anyone enlighten me as the the functioning of the California (6.1) alarm interior monitoring mode when camping?

My understanding is the interior monitoring will trigger the alarm when the pressure in the vehicle changes - like when a window is smashed. With the pop top up, should I switch off interior monitoring on the vehicle menu (which is a faff each time)? If the pop top is up and the wind blows, the roof bellows will move and the vehicle pressure will change so I assume the alarm could go off.

Just trying to work out how best to lock the vehicle at a campsite so it is secure and alarmed but won't accidentally go off.

Just use the locking button on the driver’s door - that way the alarm won’t be triggered by interior movement. Just remember to unlock using the driver’s door button before you leave the vehicle or you risk the doors automatically locking while you’re outside with the key inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just re-read your post and may have misunderstood your question. Just locking normally with the key fob is fine with the poptop up. Not sure about leaving windows open though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We double-press the lock button and that seems to turn off the interior monitoring. Still doesn't stop the alarm going off if you open the sliding door though so just remember to unlock before exiting!

I’ve often locked and left my T6 Cali Ocean without any problems with the alarm going off. I didn’t realise the alarm would go off so easily with the roof up. Is this a real issue or just an assumption? I’m not convinced such a stupid alarm system would be fitted. There must be other internal alarm sensors - it won’t just rely on a pressure change as a gust of wind hitting a vent could have a similar effect.

When leaving the van:
If you use the key in the lock and turn it once, you will deadlock the vehicle with the interior sensors disabled.
This is best with roof up or windows left open a bit.

double press of the fob, will also disable the sensor, but it also removes the deadlock, so not quite as secure.

when sleeping:
only use the lock button on the drivers door, not the remote.

VW said:
When is the alarm triggered?
  • When opening a manually unlocked door without switching on the ignition.
  • When opening the front flap.
  • When opening the tailgate.
  • When switching on the ignition with an invalid vehicle key.
  • When disconnecting the 12-volt vehicle battery.
Vehicles with interior surveillance and towing protection :
  • When there is movement in the vehicle.
  • When lifting or towing the vehicle.
  • When transporting the vehicle on a car ferry or train.
  • When uncoupling a trailer that is included in the anti-theft alarm system.

False alarm risks of interior surveillance

The interior monitoring system only works properly when the vehicle is completely closed. Observe legal regulations.

A false alarm can occur in the following situations:
  • When one or more windows are fully or partially open.
  • If easily movable objects remain in the vehicle, e.g. B. loose sheets of paper or mirror pendants.
  • When a mobile phone's vibrate alert is on.

The description matches an ultrasonic sensor. Any change in the "acoustic shape" of the interior will trigger the alarm. If you get false alarms with the pop top open try with the hatch closed. To lock without the alarm see the preceding advice or continue using the infotainment system.

The description matches an ultrasonic sensor. Any change in the "acoustic shape" of the interior will trigger the alarm. If you get false alarms with the pop top open try with the hatch closed. To lock without the alarm see the preceding advice or continue using the infotainment system.
When leaving the van:
If you use the key in the lock and turn it once, you will deadlock the vehicle with the interior sensors disabled.
This is best with roof up or windows left open a bit.

double press of the fob, will also disable the sensor, but it also removes the deadlock, so not quite as secure.

when sleeping:
only use the lock button on the drivers door, not the remote.
I think this best answers what I was asking. In the old t^, you could deactivate the sensors with a button beneath the B pillar but this is now in the vehicle menu which seems unnecessary.

I’ve often locked and left my T6 Cali Ocean without any problems with the alarm going off. I didn’t realise the alarm would go off so easily with the roof up. Is this a real issue or just an assumption? I’m not convinced such a stupid alarm system would be fitted. There must be other internal alarm sensors - it won’t just rely on a pressure change as a gust of wind hitting a vent could have a similar effect.
Probably just my assumption but I would rather find out now rather than waking up the whole campsite with my vehicle alarm in the middle of the night when I pop to the toilet!

I've left my T5.1, locked with the remote, with the drivers window open all night, with a distinct breeze, and the alarm only sounded when I put my arm through the window. Likewise, left with the roof up on the drive for 3 days locked via the remote. No alarm.
Unless it has changed on the T6/6.1 I wouldn't worry, BUT only use the button on the drivers door for locking at night.

The alarm system on ours is quite sensitive and once I left a heater fan running and it set the alarm off. Often leave it with the roof up and the windows open and alarm activated with no problems.

It is refreshing to see how many on here haven’t been robbed at knifepoint. It kind of alters one’s viewpoint.