Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alarm issues - ongoing

Bluestone

Bluestone

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So I have a couple of threads about the ongoing issues with my Ocean, it went in today and they reset a fault on the cruise control switch which had brought on the engine light - which had actually gone off even though the fault was still present.

Anyway, since the engine light originally came on last year (first diagnosis was the cat needing replacing), every time the engine light comes on the alarm starts going off as well. Even when I brought it back from the dealer today the alarm is constantly going off. I got so fed up with it I decided to leave it unlocked - and the alarm still went off. Any ideas?? Also the internal sensor is OFF, batteries are good and 100% charged as confirmed by the dealer today.

Why would the alarm sounder go off with the Ocean unlocked??

So I have a couple of threads about the ongoing issues with my Ocean, it went in today and they reset a fault on the cruise control switch which had brought on the engine light - which had actually gone off even though the fault was still present.

Anyway, since the engine light originally came on last year (first diagnosis was the cat needing replacing), every time the engine light comes on the alarm starts going off as well. Even when I brought it back from the dealer today the alarm is constantly going off. I got so fed up with it I decided to leave it unlocked - and the alarm still went off. Any ideas?? Also the internal sensor is OFF, batteries are good and 100% charged as confirmed by the dealer today.

Something is telling the control unit that someone is tampering with the van? is it something to do with either the earth shunt ... or does your van have a towbar? Possibly shorting towbar electrics? If the van is locked and you try and remove the towbar, it will set off the alarm.

No tower fitted, but why would the alarm go off if the vehicle isn't locked?

When the alarm goes off, is it just the sounder or do the Hazard lights also trigger?

The reason for asking is that in the UK and certain other markets the Alarm sounder has an internal battery and has some intelligence. The idea being that if car is tampered with and the sounder detects this, it will go off on its own.

The sounders would normally only go off if the car is alarmed and then they detect a tamper, but some of these devices also go off if they think their connections inc Power and Ground are being tampered with. It might be worth checking the connections and even removing the sounder fuse when the the car is unlocked and see if this resolves it.

The connection with the ign going on, might be a bad earth that is shared with a heavy electrical load (glow plugs etc) and the sounder.

Hi thanks, I'll point the dealer to this, it's still under warranty so the dealer can sort, bit disappointing as it's so new with so little miles on the clock to have potential electrical issues :(

Is your key battery good? Loads of possibilities unfortunately but I would have thought that the software would give them a fault code. Alarms sound through movement and voltage drops too. Some have door and bonnet latch sensors-not sure about the California.
On the plus side, at least it isn’t immobilising the car!

The alarm has been a consistent pain since the first engine light came on yet never a fault code. I have four sets of keys and all the batteries are good and doesn't matter which key I use!

Yep this is true and it does reset when I use the key. I'll check next time to see if the hazards also blink as this may point to the sounder unit misbehaving.