Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air Shows and Airfields to visit.

John

John

VIP Member
Here are some of my favorite Airshows and Airfields to visit.

A Flying Day at Old Warden is like stepping back in time the smell of castor oil, the sounds and sights of theses old aircraft flying is something very special. Pick your day and keep a eye on the weather for high pressure and light winds. If you are lucky you will see the Bristol Box Kite and even the Bleriot Monoplane fly.

http://www.shuttleworth.org/

Duxford, one of the homes of the Imperial War Museum, is always worth a visit if you are in the area, even on a rainy day. Their flying days are also some of the best air displays of the year especially if you are into old WW2 air-birds.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/the-duxford-air-show

The LAA light Aircraft Association formally the PFA Popular Flying association has a annual rally at Sywell Aerodrome Northants. Here you will see hundreds of small aircraft, helicopters and auto-gyros. Many of them are vintage and home made and have had many thousand hours of hard work invested in them.

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co. ... y2012.html

John

I am up for a few air shows, sometimes do Eastbourne and Farborough, there is also a brand new one this year on Southsea Seafront, we also follow the Red Arrows as a family friend is Red 3 !

I have to go to RIAT at RAF Fairford on business each year. This year I have to work both the Fri and Sat so intend camping close by overnight. The Royal International Air Tattoo attracts a large flying display every year and as the circuit is large and the area flat, I guess it is visible over quite a large area. There are campsites nearby and I recall that a number of local field owners use their initiative as well.

Yes, the good news is that Hammond will not be there! It's a good blend of fast cars (old and new) doing speed runs along the main runway, and some very impressive and sophsticated aerobatics. The fastest jet last year was a Hawk, together with some stuff that's becoming quite rare like the Sabre. The Vulcan unfortunately had a technical problem and was unable to show. The Typhoon this year should be interesting! It's not a huge show, but therein lies its charm. I haven't checked out the overnighting options yet, but I should have delivery of my Cali by then!

David.

Just checked out the Shoreham one, John. Looks like the Typhoon will be busy! Thanks for the tips.

David.

Fast Forward to 2023.
Any air show regulars here…?

Did Bournemouth a couple of years ago. Thinking about Fairford in July? Any tips, local campsites (although probably now booked) best times to arrive etc etc…?

Ooh I love a good air show! (Busmans holiday) so I shall be watching this thread with interest :thumb

Fast Forward to 2023.

Did Bournemouth a couple of years ago. Thinking about Fairford in July? Any tips, local campsites (although probably now booked) best times to arrive etc etc…?
They nearly all used to allow onsite camping years ago… has all that stopped?

They nearly all used to allow onsite camping years ago… has all that stopped?

I’m not sure.
Last one we did, was 2021. Balloon show, which had some aircraft too. It was at Towcester racecourse. It wasn’t bad, but from memory no camping. Made the mistake of not going early enough. It took us over two hours to get in and park…

Cromer festival and Air show

Listings of air shows

Great links thanks.
Booked Fairford, as its local-ish.

But Cromer looks good too. Might be worth a weekend to the Beach

We camped at Shuttleworth for the Evening of Espionage last year, a great 3 days on the airfield with an excellent evening flying display.
NB...No 'facilities' Own San. Essential & it's a loooong walk to the Elsan Disposal ;point!
280463037_10220483952718567_7147288404774855802_n.jpg
280564442_10220483953878596_2291807337493424592_n.jpg

Fast Forward to 2023.

Not an air show, but there’s a decent air museum at Elvington next time you’re up in Yorkshire.

If the weather is good this can be a nice event - chance to take in the Gower or Bannau Brycheiniog.

Not an air show, but there’s a decent air museum at Elvington next time you’re up in Yorkshire.

I have been a couple of times.
My wife’s Grandad flew in the Halifax. His ashes were spread at Elvington, and the family often meet there on the anniversary of his death.

Not an "airshow" but watched Chinooks practising with underslung loads at RAF Benson last week.

Get along to RAF Cosford museum. It's free and loads to see.
A great place! Reminds me a few years ago when I was a flight instructor at Wellesbourne Mountford one of my students had an engine failure on a solo cross country flight……… as he was already flying past Cosford and working their radio frequency he made an emergency landing at Cosford after a short but very brief radio exchange during which he declared his emergency and intentions……….the air traffic controller came back a few minutes later and asked him for his position ………. “Stationary on the centre of the runway!” was the reply :D

A great place! Reminds me a few years ago when I was a flight instructor at Wellesbourne Mountford one of my students had an engine failure on a solo cross country flight……… as he was already flying past Cosford and working their radio frequency he made an emergency landing at Cosford after a short but very brief radio exchange during which he declared his emergency and intentions……….the air traffic controller came back a few minutes later and asked him for his position ………. “Stationary on the centre of the runway!” was the reply :D
Yes a great place, and they do have an annual air show.

You'll need to check dates.

Fast Forward to 2023.

I do Fairford every year and stay at Kempsford camping, arrive Thursday until Sunday or Monday. Not sure how booking works as campers from the previous year get priority before general sale. It is a great weekend!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I do Fairford every year and stay at Kempsford camping, arrive Thursday until Sunday or Monday. Not sure how booking works as campers from the previous year get priority before general sale. It is a great weekend!

That looks fairly close. Is it walkable on show days, from the campsite to the show entrances…?

That looks fairly close. Is it walkable on show days, from the campsite to the show entrances…?
Very close, the campsite boarders the airfield and about a 5 minute walk to airshow entrance, also a good view of displays from site.