Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air Quality Sensor

sebking

sebking

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
To ad to my list of other maladies (Key Fob Battery error and power latching) I now have an Air Quality sensor problem. VCDS and Carista both showing failures. oh joy.

No problems, mine too.
Was already changed under warranty, but those buggers seem to have a lifespan shorter than a mayfly.
The only thing it does, is controlling the flaps for recirculation. And even that doesn't work out good everytime.
If you are quick enough to spot polluted air (blue smoke, mopeds, ...) a touch of the finger on the button is good enough (for me).Naamloo2s.png

Well that sensor is in stupid place! Damp and full of leaves too, looks like a real afterthought. Changed today and faults cleared.

Well that sensor is in stupid place! Damp and full of leaves too, looks like a real afterthought. Changed today and faults cleared.
Hi do you have a part number and location of that sensor?

Hi do you have a part number and location of that sensor?
I found this info below on another forum, is this the correct part? The Hella Database shows the HELLA 6PX 012 684-011 is for a Golf and the Hella 6PX 012 684-001 is for the Transporter...VW 7E0907643 T5 T6 Transporter - Multivan V and VI sensor for air quality G238 air quality sensor.
HELLA 6PX 012 684-011
its located under the scuttle panel on the passenger side of an RHD car, and is a 2 minute job.
You can quickly check the part number on yours by removing the scuttle panel.
"

Last edited:
Just dropped van off for Service ( inc Cam belt and Water pump) + MOT. Mentioned EM icon had come on couple of times in last week, so diagnostics needed.
They came back on email to say it was Air Quality Sensor and would be an additional approx £1000 !!!!!
Shock , so I phoned, lucky it’s under extended warranty. And I shouldn’t have been sent the email.
My question may be, when I check out Air Quality Sensor, on line, costs appears approx £40 quid.
What’s the game here ?

I suspect they meant one of the NOx or the lambda sensor.

Air quality sensor would be unlikely to illuminate the engine management light

I suspect they meant one of the NOx or the lambda sensor.

Air quality sensor would be unlikely to illuminate the engine management light
You’re spot on, it’s actually the Reducing Agent Quality Sensor (G849). I guess that’s the Nox you mentioned. Still seems pretty expensive if it had not been under warranty. I also asked if they’d checked for Software updates in case that may have ‘righted’ it, but they said it was faulty… only 4 years old and 9k miles !!!

You’re spot on, it’s actually the Reducing Agent Quality Sensor (G849). I guess that’s the Nox you mentioned. Still seems pretty expensive if it had not been under warranty. I also asked if they’d checked for Software updates in case that may have ‘righted’ it, but they said it was faulty… only 4 years old and 9k miles !!!
You might have well hit the nail on the head, “ only 4 years old and 9k miles “.

The California is based on a commercial vehicle and built to be driven not parked up for extended periods of time. Also the Adblue has a shelf life of about 18months in a sealed container. The Adblue tank on the vehicle is not sealed and this is responsible for lowering the NOX emissions, so this might all be a contributing factor.

We refilled the Adblue last June, with no problems and the sensor adjusted back to the ‘full / mileage’ position.it is driven weekly and yes it’s relatively short mileage but monthly it gets a good 50 mile run out. Its only the last week it’s sporadically come on.

Would that suggest that as they replace the Reducing agent quality sensor they should also drain off and replace the Adblue ?

Would that suggest that as they replace the Reducing agent quality sensor they should also drain off and replace the Adblue ?
You could ask, but I doubt it. I think you have to remove the tank to drain.

If what you’re saying about the Adblue ‘shelf life’ is a contributing factor, that’s a tad concerning.

If what you’re saying about the Adblue ‘shelf life’ is a contributing factor, that’s a tad concerning.
Average UK milage is around 7,400 miles/year. Based on that a vehicle would be refilling the Adblue at least once a year.
The fact that your vehicle may be doing less than that will be of no concern to any vehicle manufacturer, unfortunately.

9000 miles in 4 years is very low milage. It would be due for a Cambelt replacement which is time/milage dependant, 4 yrs or 80,000 miles, likewise DSG oil change 2 yrs or 40,000 miles.

Yes, DSG oil change done at 2 years and it’s currently in for Cam belt and water pump. I’ll certainly be upping the mileage, unfortunately partly paying the price for COVID restrictions.

Back