Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air con problem.......

M

Metalbus

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi there,

In advance sorry for the English....

I have a problem with the air con. Few weeks ago it stops working and while on the road it came on and of. On our way back home, from France, it came on less. And now it stops when running the engine.

Vw California t5 2006 climate control
With ignicion on, the motor from the fans is working. Air comes out of the fans en can be adjusted with the controls.
When running the engine within one minute the orange light of the control goes out and the motor of the fans is also out. So no airflow at al.
I replaced the motor of the fans(don't know the English word) and the resistor. But the same problem occured.
I measured the voltage of the battery while motor is running and it's a nice 14v.

Don't know what to do next and maybe someone had the same issues.

Thx in advance, Marcel.

Update:

While reading de diagnostics i see de climatronic is struggeling with voltage. With the engine on it read 14.8 - 16v and when it goes over de 16 the climatronic goes out(precausion i think). So i have to look further. Voltage on the battery and rest of the systems are fine.

Update:

While reading de diagnostics i see de climatronic is struggeling with voltage. With the engine on it read 14.8 - 16v and when it goes over de 16 the climatronic goes out(precausion i think). So i have to look further. Voltage on the battery and rest of the systems are fine.
That would seem to indicate something up with the Alternator voltage control.

That would seem to indicate something up with the Alternator voltage control.
Thx for reply.
I have to find some electro/wiring schedule.
Does the alternator have more output channels? Direct to the climatronic? Because the rest of the systeem is on normale voltage. And would not be there more problems in other sections?

Thx for reply.
I have to find some electro/wiring schedule.
Does the alternator have more output channels? Direct to the climatronic? Because the rest of the systeem is on normale voltage. And would not be there more problems in other sections?
I'm afraid I'm not an auto electrician expert but as far as I am aware most vehicle electrics are powered by the engine battery directly which is charged by the alternator which can output higher voltages but is controlled by an output voltage regulator to supply a maximum 14.4 volts to charge the battery. Heavy consumption items like heater fans, main beam etc are switched On by relays operated by the ignition switch which indicates , normally, that the engine is started/running to avoid flattening the engine battery with their heavy power requirements.
When you say the rest of the system is normal voltage , is that with engine running?
As far as I am aware only the alternator can produce a higher voltage than the engine battery and that should be controlled to a maximum 14.4v.
It might be worthwhile asking on the T4/5 Forum.

When you say the rest of the system is normal voltage , is that with engine running?
Yes indeed with the engine on. Than the reading on the battery is about 14.5 so that's okay.
I'll give the t4/5 a try, who knows. But those vans usually don't have a climacontrol :)

Solved!!!!

The problem was the unit/climacontrol panel. Found a new one and everything is alright. A rare problem but solved.