Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air Con not working……

JohnCalifornia

JohnCalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
I got my AC re gassed when the Cali was in for the MOT around 4 weeks ago at my local VW van centre. When I asked the service manager if there was any leaks on the AC system hence why it wasn’t working in the first place, he assured me there wasn’t and the machine would not fill a system with a leak as it does a test on the system first and would have identified the leak. Is this right? Does the machine do a check on the system first? Anyway the AC no longer blows cold air so something is amiss. Looks like another visit to the van centre with the threat of a diagnostic cost to find the fault……

Possible knackered compressor? No leak, it just doesn’t pump?

Not too sure, you can hear a bit of a weird noise when you turn the AC on so I assume it’s the compressor . It’s a normal noise that I hear when the AC is turned on in my work van so assume it’s normal. The service manger did say the system was empty when they re gassed it hence why I asked if there was any leaks on the system

So had the Cali in to the Dealers to find why the AC has stopped blowing cold air just 3 weeks after the system got re gassed. They found a damaged AC pipe that supplies the rear AC system and even better it’s covered on the VW extended warranty. The bad news is that the pipe is on back order and could take weeks to come. Ah well at least it won’t cost me anything and this time round no dirty foot prints on my steps or mats which is a bonus………

So had the Cali in to the Dealers to find why the AC has stopped blowing cold air just 3 weeks after the system got re gassed. They found a damaged AC pipe that supplies the rear AC system and even better it’s covered on the VW extended warranty. The bad news is that the pipe is on back order and could take weeks to come. Ah well at least it won’t cost me anything and this time round no dirty foot prints on my steps or mats which is a bonus………
Does the front not work with the rear turned off? Thought they were supposed to be totally independent systems.

Does the front not work with the rear turned off? Thought they were supposed to be totally independent systems.
No, 1 compressor covers both systems. Just one gas system. Important to let a 3rd party mechanic who is regassing/ checking the system that you have the rear AirCon system as the gas volumes and checks are different.

All I know is that apparently the machine that they use to re gas the system does a 3 stage check before it puts gas in to check that there are no leaks but obviously never found the leaks . I asked the technician why their machine didn’t pick up the leaks but he couldn’t answer me. The original re gas wasn’t cheap at £180 plus vat so if the repair hadn’t been covered by the warranty I would have been asking for a refund of the price of the re gas.