Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice much needed

Caroline9

Caroline9

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi Everyone, I've been browsing your forum over the last few evenings and it's great how much support and information is passed around. I'd searched out the forum because I had a few questions re; the California, after spending hours reading posts, I'm more confused than ever. So I'd appreciate any advice offered. So far....

I decided to throw caution to the wind, make a big splash, and buy a spanking new VW California. I should also add, because it seems to have a major affect on 'lack of choice available' , that we live in Ireland. I started by going to our local VW dealer, but as there are so few sold in Ireland every year, maybe only 2 or 3 in the whole country, the dealers are not really familiar with them. Also it seems the models available here differ in choice and spec from the UK and having looked also at the VW German website, more choice again (as you'd expect).

We thought we'd go for the 4x4, living in a sodden country this seemed to be a good idea, you'd like to feel confident going off road. So, my question: Is 140bhp adequate for 4motion?.
I know nothing about engines, but the first salesman I spoke to happened to mention that 4motion needed 180bhp, the second salesman told me this was rubbish. It turns out only 140bhp is available in Ireland anyway. Any advice?

Here's the link to VW Ireland, the site doesn't allow me to copy the link for the California page, so you have to go to Model and scroll down to California. http://www.volkswagen.ie/en.html

Another thing I can't figure, is why we are given less choice here. Are they not made to order from Germany anyway ? What's the difference between the Comfortline and other models? The SE for instance.

Thanks in advance guys, from one very excited, eager, confused and mechanically bankrupt, potential Cali owner.

Caroline.

Yes that's right I think the comfortline is the lhd and comes with a different dashboard and
Windscreen blinds that are built into the pillars. I'm not sure if you can buy a 140 4 motion in the uk.

Oh yes top work. Maybe we have a member on here with a 140 4 motion :thumb

Caroline9 said:
Hi Everyone, I've been browsing your forum over the last few evenings and it's great how much support and information is passed around. I'd searched out the forum because I had a few questions re; the California, after spending hours reading posts, I'm more confused than ever. So I'd appreciate any advice offered. So far....

I decided to throw caution to the wind, make a big splash, and buy a spanking new VW California. I should also add, because it seems to have a major affect on 'lack of choice available' , that we live in Ireland. I started by going to our local VW dealer, but as there are so few sold in Ireland every year, maybe only 2 or 3 in the whole country, the dealers are not really familiar with them. Also it seems the models available here differ in choice and spec from the UK and having looked also at the VW German website, more choice again (as you'd expect).

We thought we'd go for the 4x4, living in a sodden country this seemed to be a good idea, you'd like to feel confident going off road. So, my question: Is 140bhp adequate for 4motion?.
I know nothing about engines, but the first salesman I spoke to happened to mention that 4motion needed 180bhp, the second salesman told me this was rubbish. It turns out only 140bhp is available in Ireland anyway. Any advice?

Here's the link to VW Ireland, the site doesn't allow me to copy the link for the California page, so you have to go to Model and scroll down to California. http://www.volkswagen.ie/en.html

Another thing I can't figure, is why we are given less choice here. Are they not made to order from Germany anyway ? What's the difference between the Comfortline and other models? The SE for instance.

Thanks in advance guys, from one very excited, eager, confused and mechanically bankrupt, potential Cali owner.

Caroline.

Hi Caroline

Comfortline is the description of the trim level, in most markets, VW use Comfortline, in the UK they use SE.

In some ways you do get less choice but that is down to the volume of vehicles sold. The Comfortline you have for sale in Ireland is probably closer to a european Cali, that is, quite a basic spec to start (no alloy wheels for example) but quite a few options.

The model range in Ireland is

CALIFORNIA COMFORT 2.0 TDI 140BHP 7ECW31L 3000 203 1968 103 140 €6,596 €9,071 Camper €102 €55,105 €55,855
CALIFORNIA COMFORT 2.0 TDI 140BHP DSG 7ECW37L 3000 216 1968 103 140 €6,900 €9,489 Camper €102 €57,645 €58,395
CALIFORNIA COMFORT 2.0 TDI 140BHP 4MO 7ECW35L 3000 219 1968 103 140 €6,997 €9,622 Camper €102 €58,455 €59,205

No 180 available as in the UK

And the options are more limited

You're given less choice as we are in the UK, RHD Markets receive something of a mixed bag when it comes to the Cali - different dash for the RHD markets - less options in terms of equipment and engine choice. The Cali was never intended for RHD markets so it is is something of a compromise and that means less choice for the UK and Ireland.

James

I have a 4motion 180. And yes it's fantastically powerful, but I'm are the 140 is fine for most people. It depends how hilly your likely to drive and with how much kit weighing you down.
I live inthe Peak District, have lots of snow to get through each winter, go off road often in muddy mountain bike race fields, and love holidaying in the alps... So I value that extra oomph.

But if I wasn't such a vertiginous mountain goat, I'm sure a 140 would be ace.

Thanks guys for your replies, I'll respond to them later on, the sun is shining at the mo so I'm trying to get some things done outdoors, the rain's due in later, I'll have more time to respond. Sweet Mid-Summer wishes to you all.

Caroline.

Hi Caroline, I live in Ireland and ordered my new Cali there from Blackwater Motors in Cork as Rob Kelly there has some experience in selling them. I also had so many unanswered questions. I am travelling alone for 6 months in it and am presently in Italy. Glad to try to answer any thing that I know about. I did go for the 140 and it seems like more than enough but don't have 4 motion. Anyway if you want to please drop me a line on email which is a.roantree@+++++.com
Aileen on road

Hi again guys, as we don't have the 180bhp option available here, though a guy from the Dublin office says he'll look into it. Looks like it'll be the 140bhp, with 4 motion, awning, wind-breakers, mattress toppers and ipod dock/connector. When you choose the 4motion here, you also have to take the steering wheel control system. Can't have the 4motion without it, don't fully understand why. Also thought all leather seat covering was a good idea with two dogs.

I like to listen to BBC radio 4 late at night, I'm wondering if the standard radio it comes with able to pick up bbc4/world service on mainland Europe and beyond ?

Also any tips on haggling the best price, or what to expect in that area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to, Mister Tea, James, jeetu2k, CaliKev, and Aileen (whom I've emailed) for your help so far.
Fingers crossed we should have a Cali on order by the end of the week, then it's four months of waiting and planning. Must get passports for the two dogs also.

Best for now, Caroline.

Hi Caroline, in the UK the leather seat option is with alcantara centre panels. So you'd need to check that works with dogs. Otherwise the Inka seat covers are good and a fraction of the price. For info, I went with Drive The Deal and got £6000 off my 180, but that was in March. I think the savings now are down to a less significant £4000 but I don't know if they work with Irish dealers. You're doing all the right things though!
David.

DavidS said:
Hi Caroline, in the UK the leather seat option is with alcantara centre panels. So you'd need to check that works with dogs. Otherwise the Inka seat covers are good and a fraction of the price. For info, I went with Drive The Deal and got £6000 off my 180, but that was in March. I think the savings now are down to a less significant £4000 but I don't know if they work with Irish dealers. You're doing all the right things though!
David.

Hi DavidS, I've changed my mind re the leather/leatherette upholstery and decided, on good advice, that decent seat covers were a better option. I initially had an all tan leather seat image in my head, but that is not an option anyway.
Re the price, I would have though that you'd get a better discount toward the end of year. With extras of nearly 5,000, do you think my expectation of close to 10% is too high?
I haven't looked at buying in the UK, it's nice to have a back-up service locally, and then there's the VRT which I believe is 13%, there is also exchange rates.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Caroline.

Hi Caroline, if all tan leather meant full leather, that would be my choice too. But I have a dog also!

I think 10% ought to be a sensible expectation right now. It may be worth getting the Drive the Deal price printed via 'Ctrl P' or pasted into email/Word (you have to pay them for an official printed version) and dangle it front of the dealer. Remember that whilst you're ordering now you'll be on a likely 3 month delivery, so that will take you into Autumn and it may be worth a gentle comment as a negotiating point to the dealer that you might delay your order and wait for next season. You're also going to be buying in Euros, thus avoiding the recent fluctuations in the DtheD pricing.

But, if you don't ask, you don't get, so go for it.

The exchange rate in particular will hurt if you bought in the UK and there are a number of other issues to complicate this, so like you I don't think this is an option either.

If you want to chat further off line, send me a PM.

Best wishes,
David.

P.S. Just had a look at the ie website (in "Highlights"/"Technology"/"TDi Engines) and it does say that "A total of four TDI engines are available for the California: the 2.0 l TDI with 114 HP*, the 2.0 l TDI with 140 HP* and the 2.0 l BiTDI with 180 HP*". So, either I'm being thick, the dealers seem to be unaware of this, the 180 cannot be 4MOTION or it's a misprint.

P.P.S Sorry!

DavidS said:
Hi Caroline, if all tan leather meant full leather, that would be my choice too. But I have a dog also!

I think 10% ought to be a sensible expectation right now. It may be worth getting the Drive the Deal price printed via 'Ctrl P' or pasted into email/Word (you have to pay them for an official printed version) and dangle it front of the dealer. Remember that whilst you're ordering now you'll be on a likely 3 month delivery, so that will take you into Autumn and it may be worth a gentle comment as a negotiating point to the dealer that you might delay your order and wait for next season. You're also going to be buying in Euros, thus avoiding the recent fluctuations in the DtheD pricing.

But, if you don't ask, you don't get, so go for it.

The exchange rate in particular will hurt if you bought in the UK and there are a number of other issues to complicate this, so like you I don't think this is an option either.

If you want to chat further off line, send me a PM.

Best wishes,
David.

P.S. Just had a look at the ie website (in "Highlights"/"Technology"/"TDi Engines) and it does say that "A total of four TDI engines are available for the California: the 2.0 l TDI with 114 HP*, the 2.0 l TDI with 140 HP* and the 2.0 l BiTDI with 180 HP*". So, either I'm being thick, the dealers seem to be unaware of this, the 180 cannot be 4MOTION or it's a misprint.

P.P.S Sorry!

Thanks for your input DavidS, I'll PM you, but not now, now I'm taking my 'Tush' off to see ZZ Top.

Best for now, Caroline.

Update..... The order is in, the discount achieved, so come October we'll be happy campers, needless to say we're excited and full of plans. Thanks again guys and gals (Aileen, I'll email soon) for all your input. I guess I should toss my shilling in the VIP membership kitty, but to avoid feeling silly I'll wait till she arrives. All the best for now.

Caroline.

Congratulations Caroline. And now the accessory buying starts...

Back