Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice for someone new to camping.. but desperate for (idea of) a Cali?

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
my advice - spend a few nights away in your car ...... if you enjoy it you will love a camper. thats how we got started - i had an SMAX and used to take a couple of futon mattresses and a stove / milk / tea / sausages and beer - vita bona est

A

applejack

We never leave our dogs alone in the Cali any more due to so many dogs being stolen, also if there is an electrical fault and a fire? Van is stolen ? So many reasons not to leave a dog alone. There are so many dog friendly places now especially in France so no reason to leave them behind, they are part of the family after all

gear box oil

gear box oil

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
All of the above.
Go with the flow, don't be afraid to experiment with the set up,
see every problem as a challenge and not a problem.
If something works for you then that's fine if not look at how to make it better.
Always listen to you wife because she knows best (well she dose in my van) :mute

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We never leave our dogs alone in the Cali any more due to so many dogs being stolen, also if there is an electrical fault and a fire? Van is stolen ? So many reasons not to leave a dog alone. There are so many dog friendly places now especially in France so no reason to leave them behind, they are part of the family after all
So what’s different at home, with the California at home on the drive. Do you never go out without the dogs?
Same things can happen at home. In fact more house fires and burglaries than vehicle fires when parked and parked vehicle burglaries per annum.

Duncan

Duncan

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I would not leave our dogs in the Cali either, they are much more visible in a vehicle to be stolen, I would not leave my kids locked in the car either.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I would not leave our dogs in the Cali either, they are much more visible in a vehicle to be stolen, I would not leave my kids locked in the car either.
I leave my dog in the van in the hope that it will dissuade someone from stealing my van.

If I thought there was a chance of someone stealing my boys from the van I might be tempted to leave them in it. ;)

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Chinmusic

Chinmusic

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Watch the excellent California Camping videos on YouTube. They have a big dog (well bigger than my two). Think they’re on here too.

cazmatt

cazmatt

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I think i've seen nearly everything @CaliforniaCamping have put up - another massive inspiration! (so thank you both of you!) Will absolutely put up thoughts from the first trip. Busy jotting notes from all your helpful comments at the moment..

We will have the attached awning, but haven't paid for hiring a drive away awning (for £25). following the "keep it simple" mantra.

Don't plan to leave dog's alone for the hire - we would in our own car but doesn't feel fair in someone else's. Probably would want to if we owned one though!

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
beer.bbq. burgers.errrrr......I'm stuck after that. enjoy. we have a dog. he loves the cali. every time I open the side door on my drive to do something he jumps in and sits on the seat thinking he's off on an adventure.he then refuses to leave the van. we did a 8hr ferry from kirkwall yo Aberdeen and decided he would be happier in the van than in a ferry kennel
no qualms about leaving him there. leaving a dog locked in a van and leaving a dog locked in a van can be 2 very different things

aBusAndBeyond

aBusAndBeyond

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Thanks for the mention guys... we never leave our dog Bentley in the Cali on his own, the main reason we ended up with a Cali was because we didn't want to leave him in kennels whilst going on holiday. We love taking him with us and we always go camping with the intention of it being, essentially, a long dog walk. I know he would be fine left alone and I can see why people do, but we just haven't ever done that with the Cali or any other vehicle.

You're definitely doing the right thing hiring before buying though. Have a fantastic time and let us know how you get on.

Pink Banana

Pink Banana

beer.bbq. burgers.errrrr......I'm stuck after that. enjoy. we have a dog. he loves the cali. every time I open the side door on my drive to do something he jumps in and sits on the seat thinking he's off on an adventure.he then refuses to leave the van. we did a 8hr ferry from kirkwall yo Aberdeen and decided he would be happier in the van than in a ferry kennel
no qualms about leaving him there. leaving a dog locked in a van and leaving a dog locked in a van can be 2 very different things

Love you :embarrased

Pink Banana

Pink Banana

mmm. I've had few beers

I've not advanced towards anyone for a while. as for a room suggested by some matchmaker I think we both have a couple of mobile nice rooms

You do make me laugh, I never thought for one minute I would find love on a motoring forum