Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Add 3rd battery to T6 Beach like the Ocean?

Loopster D.

Loopster D.

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Is it possible to add a 3rd battery so I have 2 leisure batteries under the driver's seat?

You will struggle to get two leisure batteries under one seat but there is no reason why you cannot have an extra one somewhere else. The wiring diagrams are available to connect them up the same way that VW do.

Rod

Physically there is only space for a single battery under each of the front seats. You could add a 3rd (2nd leisure) battery under (your) passenger seat (UK drivers seat).
Would be worth checking with an auto electrician if the split charge can cope with an additional battery but shouldn't be an issue.

Would love to see that.....!:D
Think you need to look out for a place somewhere more behind.

Also consider if the mains charger can cope with another battery. Also the batteries are AGM and have temperature sensors built in - how would you add another temp sensor to the chargers? If the chargers are the same as on an ocean then no prob I suspect other than finding a location - if not more reasearch is needed. Keep us posted on progress.

Physically there is only space for a single battery under each of the front seats. You could add a 3rd (2nd leisure) battery under (your) passenger seat (UK drivers seat).
Would be worth checking with an auto electrician if the split charge can cope with an additional battery but shouldn't be an issue.
Split charge relay rating has nothing to do with number of batteries.
Alternator output may be insufficient to charge three batteries.

Alternator might be able to charge like 5 batteries.
They don't have to be charged at max amps.

In my T5 conversion, I used to add another battery (of identical spec) wired in parallel to the permanent leisure battery. It meant that I had about twice the duration, but it would take twice as long to charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The alternator on my Beach is a 165amp as standard at least according to my codes.

Interestingly mine is a 180amp alternator according to my spec codes MattBW

That is very interesting, especially as it says that smart alternators can be bad for AGM batteries. Maybe I shouldn't be too upset mine is a Lead acid?

Well my conclusion was that the Cali can't be running a smart alternator due to the split charge system. It certainly doesn't have a B to B unit.

Well my conclusion was that the Cali can't be running a smart alternator due to the split charge system. It certainly doesn't have a B to B unit.
I don't know about that. The BlueMotion emissions function involves Regenerative Braking.

I don't know about that. The BlueMotion emissions function involves Regenerative Braking.

The technology isn’t as impressive as it sounds; the car’s electronics aren’t much different from any non-BlueMotion vehicle. The key differences are that some components can handle higher transient loads, like the alternator, starter motor, etc. and of course an extra bit of programming/firmware manages the system.

Most cars don’t “manage” their batteries; when the engine is running the alternator supplies power to the car’s entire electrical system and part of this power is used by the battery to charge.

In contrast, in a BlueMotion vehicle, the alternator is controlled and only activated when certain conditions are met. The most common condition is when the car detects that the engine is unloaded, the speed is higher than x and the car is in gear. It’s quite obvious when the alternator has been activated as, while meeting the conditions above, electronics in the car exhibit signs which indicate the system voltage has increased: the blower motor noticeably speeds up, the headlights become brighter, the interior lights brighten, etc.

The car will also activate the alternator outside of these conditions, particularly if the battery voltage drops below a certain threshold.

BlueMotion is a rudimentary form of regenerative braking. It is essentially a better battery and engine management system.

Advanced regenerative braking is only really viable in electric propulsion designs as it’s relatively easy to use an electric motor to generate electricity, by switching a power supply with a load. Placing an electrical load on an electric motor will cause the motor to resist being turned, which in turn will provide braking.

That is very interesting, especially as it says that smart alternators can be bad for AGM batteries. Maybe I shouldn't be too upset mine is a Lead acid?
Actually AGM batteries were designed for this purpose, I can understand gel batteries having a problem because expansion is an issue.
AGM has a very high tolerance and also absorbs charge much faster.

Whichever way you look at it, it doesn't
Whats that mean?
A B to B or battery to battery charger is a DC/DC converter.
It takes a low voltage (less than required to charge a leisure battery) and boosts it up.

In practice, the alternator switches on and off according to braking/load requirement etc and charges the engine battery.

This engine battery may float at around 10-11 volts or less according to driving style.

The B to B then takes this 10-11 volts and boosts it up (constantly varying) to supply an optimum 13.4 v to the leisure battery.

So when you're driving your aerodynamically challenged Cali down the motorway the smart alternator can switch off and reduce your fuel consumption by 0.0000000001 Ltr/km. (assuming you've switched off all electrical load)

What I have no idea about is if the T5/6 has a smart alternator or DC/DC (B to B) installed.

Thank god the T4 uses ancient technology.

As a bit of lateral thinking due to the complications thrown up in adding a third battery.

Would it be more viable to have a third battery and a solar panel charger? If the 2nd battery runs down simply swap batteries over. The flat one would then be on charge whilst the third is in use.

Costs could be comparable. Leave that to someone else.

Just add the battery. Don't bother trying to charge it. Charge it when you get home.