Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue filling

I've just installed a "FindAdBlue" app on my phone. It will give you the nearest x AdBlue pumps within y Km, where x and y are user specified variables.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Well you do, at least in continental Europe. Most pumps are designed for trucks and won't work with a normal car due to a safety system with magnetic spouts. So you need a magnet on the receiver end (your car) or the nozzle won't open. That's what the adapter is for.

Actually the safety system has been designed to prevent the accidental filling of the diesel tank with AdBlue which would mean a very costly repair.
The Cali has the magnet already

If you want to fill a can at a forecourt dispensing pump you need to defeat the magnetic safety device on the pump gun. As shown previously there are devices that can be purchased from VW. Another one that I found is shown below and is marginally cheaper (delivered) than the VW item.
You can't fill a can without one.

http://www.commercialfuelsolutions.co.uk/cart.php

Very corrosive liquid so don't think about using a metal can. Best to use an old Adblue can, they are often chucked away on forecourts and come with a spout.

I've filled up at pumps in Germany, Poland and Spain. 2400 Km warning has just flashed up again so the 4th refill will be either Italy or Greece at ~32,000 Km. I've just been told that using AdBlue means there's little benefit from buying premium diesel.

maybe they meant the contibution of premium diesel to cleaner exhaust ?

maybe they meant the contibution of premium diesel to cleaner exhaust ?
I use the adblue pump at filling stations. That way I don’t need to fiddle about with containers.
You don’t have to wait ‘TIL the warning comes up; the display will tell you what mileage is left.
I did have a moment of concern when I needed adblue in Morocco earlier this year, but a the larger filling stations I found it so England should pose no problems.

Well, we were on holiday in Aberystwyth when we refilled the adblue tank but even at home the nearest pump is miles away.
In your case then, acquire a couple of empty 20 litre tubs and fill them from the pump next time you're near one. Cheapest way of doing it

Er, I thought it didn't keep? We will only use 20l a year probably...

Er, I thought it didn't keep? We will only use 20l a year probably...

I am currently paying just under £1 per litre from Amazon.

It's cost me £6 in Adblu so far. If I had filled up at my local Adblu station, 23 miles away, I would have saved £1.70. I'm not going to need a refill for another 2,000 miles, for me round about end February with what I have planned in the next couple of miserable months.

I am keeping in my garage one of my 10l Amazon-sourced containers should I get the opportunity to be passing an adblu station. However , each individual is different, for me it's just not worth the time and hassle to save that sort of money.

I do live in a part of the world where the only adblu stations are on motorway service stops, and those I avoid like the plague if I can help it, so perhaps still a biased viewpoint, but how much the extra hassle is worth is an individual thing .

If 20l is going to last you a year then having Mr Amazon bring it to your drive must be worth considering whether it's worth around £12 per annum for the convenience. It would be for me.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm normally one to save every penny but I'm not driving miles to faff round with stuff that may or may not go off if I store it or worse, leak in the back whilst in transit.

I was perfectly happy with the Halfords container (as was on holiday) & I might get round to an Amazon delivery or find a pump if we're in England next time.

4th refill in 32,000 Km.
#1 German/Denmark border, at pump
#2 Poland, at pump
#3 Portuguese/Spanish border, at pump

Refill warning came on in Manfredonia, and we looked for adblue all the way to Naples, none advertised on service stations hoardings. Looked all the way from Naples to Villa San Giovanni, none at service stations we stopped at or advertised. Looked all the way from Messina to Palermo, eventually found a pump outside Palermo, it was broken.

1000 Km warning came on with a constant light.

We sought advice at a filling station, and they directed us to a parts shop.

We asked for 10L and were sold a large sealed container - but no filling equipment. We then went to a very plush and nice VW service centre to see if they could fill it for us. Was told to drive into the garage, and before I knew it they were filling our van with their own pump on wheels. 13.3 litres went into our 13 litre tank, and we were asked for 32 Euros.

So now we have a 10 litre container of adblue that we cannot cart around with us.

Having previously paid about 6 Euros for a refill, this refill has cost us, in effect, 47 Euros.

Life just seems so completely chaotic in Italy. I love it. Just shrug and move on to the next chaotic adventure.

What would happen if you drive whitout adblue? ...empty tank...

it will not start

Ok , so you eventually will get stranded somewhere if you don't carry a botle when the search for a station having adblue gives no result.

I'am practicing the "just trow in the question , someone will give the answer" technic ...learned it on this forum;)

Sorry! I couldn't resist!

Who is HT ?

OK! So I can't spell - too little sleep!

Ok , so you eventually will get stranded somewhere if you don't carry a botle when the search for a station having adblue gives no result.
At 2400 Km remaining (~25%) you get an annoying ping everytime you start the ignition and a visual warning which can be turned off.

At 1000 Km remaining you get a very annoying ping everytime you start the ignition and a visual warning which can be turned off and a warning light that cannot be turned off.

At 0 Km remaining the ignition cannot be turned on.

I've tested two of the above and know them to be true, but not the third - yet.

At 2400 Km remaining (~25%) you get an annoying ping everytime you start the ignition and a visual warning which can be turned off.

At 1000 Km remaining you get a very annoying ping everytime you start the ignition and a visual warning which can be turned off and a warning light that cannot be turned off.

At 0 Km remaining the ignition cannot be turned on.

I've tested two of the above and know them to be true, but not the third - yet.

Just top it up every couple of months when you see an adblue pump then no worries. You can’t overfill as the nozzle cuts out the same as a fuel one.

This thread certainly gave me the confidence to go to Halfords and spend £12 on a 10 litre bottle of Adblue, with free hose, add it to my T6 (which was showing 500 miles before meltdown) and then see the warnings disappear and all is good. This in spiote of my local dealer (when selling me the T6 earlier in the year) saying that I should always book into the dealership for Adblue refils. Simple thing to do is buy from a reputable source and check that the ISO number of the bottle matches the requirement in your handbook (ebay I avoided after failing to see this)

Always buy a 10ltr can from Halfords keep in garage and top up every 3k miles easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good evening,

The first AdBlue refill was free from the dealer. Next week Wednesday the van is due for a oil service and even though AdBlue is good for another 5,500 km I asked if they can fill it up. I will see how much the charge me for that.

If the cost is within reason, I will go back and next summer to refill AdBlue. There is so much to think about the trip through Europe (I guess it will be around 7,000 km) that I don't want to worry about AdBlue.

Regards,
Eberhard

CFB35F27-6B8A-4E0B-88CA-E6240EBAF48A.jpeg
4th refill in 32,000 Km.
#1 German/Denmark border, at pump
#2 Poland, at pump
#3 Portuguese/Spanish border, at pump

Refill warning came on in Manfredonia, and we looked for adblue all the way to Naples, none advertised on service stations hoardings. Looked all the way from Naples to Villa San Giovanni, none at service stations we stopped at or advertised. Looked all the way from Messina to Palermo, eventually found a pump outside Palermo, it was broken.

1000 Km warning came on with a constant light.

We sought advice at a filling station, and they directed us to a parts shop.

We asked for 10L and were sold a large sealed container - but no filling equipment. We then went to a very plush and nice VW service centre to see if they could fill it for us. Was told to drive into the garage, and before I knew it they were filling our van with their own pump on wheels. 13.3 litres went into our 13 litre tank, and we were asked for 32 Euros.

So now we have a 10 litre container of adblue that we cannot cart around with us.

Having previously paid about 6 Euros for a refill, this refill has cost us, in effect, 47 Euros.

Life just seems so completely chaotic in Italy. I love it. Just shrug and move on to the next chaotic adventure.

All trucks use it now in EU; should be easy to find in Italy. A bit more challenging here in Morocco!

Our local; cash and carry sell it in 5litre (1 Gall) cans with a spout, its around a fiver and its Redex branded, I hear some of the Amazon stuff may be Chinese and of poor quality ? Brimmed mine the other week and should be good for 6 thousand miles, I plan to just top up every now and again and its not going to break the bank. Ignore the flag which currently shows as the USA, I am in the UK..