Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adaptive cruise has started acting oddly…

Mooreml1

Mooreml1

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi folks,

I had adaptive cruise in my golf which I sold so am quite used to the characteristics of the system (it’s usually ace) and have been using it without incident in the new Cali for the last couple of weeks on the motorway. I’m well aware that if you have a vehicle moving slower in a faster lane (ie middle or right) then it will not undertake (unless you tap the accelerator to override) and find this a useful safety function.
However, for no apparent reason it has suddenly started going this for traffic on the LEFT and the right which is crackers, so if you are in the centre lane on the motorway and are cruising for a pass of a slower vehicle on the left, the damn thing brakes! It’s almost like it’s trying to monitor both sides!
I cannot see a setting in the menus to address this, has anyone else noticed or can point out what’s going on here please?

thanks

Have you still got it set to UK?

Does the display actually show a car to the left in the same way that it shows one to right when trying to undertake? If not I suspect that the sensor is out of alignment.

I believe so andy. It shows cars on both sides now and I haven’t changed any settings…

Hi folks,

I had adaptive cruise in my golf which I sold so am quite used to the characteristics of the system (it’s usually ace) and have been using it without incident in the new Cali for the last couple of weeks on the motorway. I’m well aware that if you have a vehicle moving slower in a faster lane (ie middle or right) then it will not undertake (unless you tap the accelerator to override) and find this a useful safety function.
However, for no apparent reason it has suddenly started going this for traffic on the LEFT and the right which is crackers, so if you are in the centre lane on the motorway and are cruising for a pass of a slower vehicle on the left, the damn thing brakes! It’s almost like it’s trying to monitor both sides!
I cannot see a setting in the menus to address this, has anyone else noticed or can point out what’s going on here please?

thanks

Consider if the front has hit/scraped or bumped against something to mis-align the sensor? a re-calibration of the sensor might be due then. Visually it may be aligned, but any force such as a flying stone at high speed can mis-align the sensor.

Any accident workshop with ADAS or similar system will help you get that done.

There is no menu option to calibrate the sensor.

I believe so andy. It shows cars on both sides now and I haven’t changed any settings…
That is strange. I’ve never had a car shown on the left, only centre and right. There’s got to be a setting somewhere?

Have you still got it set to UK?

Does the display actually show a car to the left in the same way that it shows one to right when trying to undertake? If not I suspect that the sensor is out of alignment.
@andyinluton , AFAIK the t6 does not have any such display option (of showing cars on the right/left).

When a car comes into range, it will display the car icon with bars to show how far/near the car is ... essentially informing the driver that a car has been detected. something line the pic below.

1623877695234.png

Am I correctly interpreting your statement as - does the display detect a car and show the icon as above, when there is no car in front, but there is a car in the left or right lane? - in which case, you are right, it most probably points to a mis-alignment issue.

That is strange. I’ve never had a car shown on the left, only centre and right. There’s got to be a setting somewhere?

I have exactly the same on my T6.1. Car shown in the display offset to the left of a car in front. It is definitely seeing the car to the left and seems deliberate given there is a visual indication the car is to the left not in front.

Happens on dual carriageways for me - suspect it’s when the lanes are narrower. Really not nice when it starts breaking as you are overtaking.

I raised with VW Cowfold SMG and they drove on a single carriageway and told me it was fine!

@andyinluton , AFAIK the t6 does not have any such display option (of showing cars on the right/left).

When a car comes into range, it will display the car icon with bars to show how far/near the car is ... essentially informing the driver that a car has been detected. something line the pic below.

View attachment 80172

Am I correctly interpreting your statement as - does the display detect a car and show the icon as above, when there is no car in front, but there is a car in the left or right lane? - in which case, you are right, it most probably points to a mis-alignment issue.
Yes, T6.1- mine shows 2 cars next to each other ie what you’ve shown as the straight ahead car & then another to the right of it at times. Never seen one shown to the left.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Must admit I never noticed a displayed car offset to the left or right. Need to check that out on the next motorway trip.

Must admit I never noticed a displayed car offset to the left or right. Need to check that out on the next motorway trip.
Shows better if you have the adaptive status as the main display between the dials, rather than as the small display below a map or other info.

ebb13981121233883abd3bcdb5c570e5.jpg

Looks just like the above image.

c39ec6102b88057a6d5afebfc39c2994.jpg

And this top para clearly describes exactly the behaviour only of course I’m overtaking not undertaking :)

It’s a brand new 6.1 2021. As said earlier. My 67 golf had exactly the same system and worked without a hitch for 4 years, it’s perfectly normal on the infographic for the radar to spot cars lef and right when in the middle lane on the motorway, and it will never undertake, but now it’s braking as if it thinks it’s undertaking the cars in the slow lane…. I don’t think it’s a sensor alignment issue.
i could do with trying to reset it, or pulling a fuse!

Yes, T6.1- mine shows 2 cars next to each other ie what you’ve shown as the straight ahead car & then another to the right of it at times. Never seen one shown to the left.
ah! 6.1 then. The OP's profile lists a T6 4MO, but he has just clarified that he has a 6.1 :thumb .

@Mooreml1 , are you able to update your vehicle in your profile please? I was replying considering it is a T6 :)

I have exactly the same thing. It only happens to me on the motorway. I'm overtaking in the right hand lane, and the ACC slows the van down as I try to pass vehicles on the left. This has only happened to me in the roadworks on the M4 between reading and Maidenhead, in both directions. I wondered at the time if it was something to do with the radar getting confused by the concave section concrete centre barrier in the roadworks. I don't seem to have this problem elsewhere.

I am a little confused by all this left, right and centre. When we can go back into Europe can someone tell me how the ACC will react when I am driving on the right?

just found this mention in a Tiguan forum:

This can be coded via VCDS

Disable Overtaking on Right Prevention (Undertaking)
Allows ACC equipped RHD vehicles to overtake on the left side, which is blocked by default.
Adaptive Cruise Control (Module 13)
Security code 20103
Long Coding
Byte 2. Bit 5
Overtaking_right_prevention
New Value Deactivated

Dont know if that might apply to the T6.1?

And Carista can set it at least on MK7, MK7.5 and MQBA0 platforms.

Anybody got Carista and a T6.1?...

The no undertaking feature is intended, trouble is the OP seems to have no overtaking set as well!

No undertaking is easily over-ride either by pressing on the accelerator or using the indicators.

The no undertaking feature is intended, trouble is the OP seems to have no overtaking set as well!

No undertaking is easily over-ride either by pressing on the accelerator or using the indicators.

Fair enough and maybe I've hijacked a bit - just trying to help - I lost sight of the fact the OP has it both sides.

For me its acting like I'm undertaking when overtaking, and my presumption is that undertaking prevention is only supported for left hand drives and can/should be off for right hand drives.

I believe that selecting travel mode should work for abroad. ( edit: further investigation has found that although the manual refers to travel mode, it does not appear to exist!)

However my manual is not too clever on that front as the index refers you to page 103, page 103 says refer to page 32, page 32 says refer to page 103.

Last edited:
I believe that selecting travel mode should work for abroad.
However my manual is not too clever on that front as the index refers you to page 103, page 103 says refer to page 32, page 32 says refer to page 103.
I’m having that for a couple if things on the T6.1. And then asking on here getting occasional ‘helpful’ remarks like ‘hasn’t read the manual’… Your detailed posts have been very helpful - although I still have some questions I may be asking after further reading of the manual and testing on the driveway.

I believe that selecting travel mode should work for abroad.

interesting. I see no mention on either of those pages of travel mode. Manual edition 07.2020 (I have a MY21 built October 2020)

Back