Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accessorising the 6.1

RockinNRollin

RockinNRollin

Where to next?
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just wanting to get a few essential things together, but wanting to consult the wisdom of the forum first;

Seat Covers (waterproof)

I see these as essential with a young kid and lots of outdoor activities; I was pretty much set on the Inka ones but I've heard about delays and the Inka website is also warning of delays, but campervantastic seem to have full sets in stock (albeit slightly more expensive) - before I click "buy" does anyone have any strong views on why I shouldn't get these?

Seat Covers

Spare Safe
These are out of stock with the locking bolt; I've signed up to alerts. I assume the Cali doesn't come with a locking bolt already in situ that can be used with the spare safe without the bolt (as that option is in stock in the club shop)?

Levelling chocks
Don't see these as being rocket science and we've got the 215 tyres so pretty much any will do I expect?!

EHU Cable and 3 pin adaptor
This is for charging at home really rather than campsites as I don't envisage much, if any, EHU use.

Other things less urgent;

- Thermal wrap for front windscreen (I know from experience how much condensation appears here, which in itself isn't a problem for me per se as I know "it happens" but it presumably would save having to clear it in the morning before driving off and we do a lot of "site hopping" rather than staying in one place).

Anything else I'm missing? We've got a comfort mattress already and all the other camping stuff (sleeping bags, kitchen equipment etc. etc.) and obviously can't mail-order a gas cylinder so will get that separately.

Cheers all :)

I got levelling chocks from the club shop. I called and they pointed me to a set that fit in the blank space next to the underseat drawer. Very happy to have them stowed away and use them some times.

depending how old your kids are I’m thinking a mattress protector for the upstairs bed might also be worth a look. I’ll certainly be getting one as my two are messy little sods :D

depending how old your kids are I’m thinking a mattress protector for the upstairs bed might also be worth a look. I’ll certainly be getting one as my two are messy little sods :D
Yeah we've already got a waterproof sheet for it which we've used in the past

I’m just doing the same! My thoughts (all very personal)

Chocks
I’ve had my current van for over 10 years and never used chocks. As long as my head it equal to or higher than my legs I sleep fine. However, I’ve never had a mattress topper or comfort mattress either so maybe I’m just a good sleeper!

Seat covers
I’ve been going back and forth on this for ages now. With a large dog and messy hobby (fellrunning) I will need covers as it sounds like the seats in the new models mark as easily as the old ones. I think I’m now settled on second skins on the front and waterproof Inka’s on the back with a throw to add comfort and colour. On my current van, I bought throws from TKMaxx and put eyelets in them so they’re held in place by the headrests. Work really well.

Carpets
I’m going to get the Brandrup vw velour carpet for a bit of luxury underfoot. These came with the T4 westies. You need some kind of carpet as the grey plastic floor is a bit austere! You may have opted for the wooden floor though.

Worktop protection
I’m going for some carbon look protection I’ve seen elsewhere in the forum. Stops scratches and protects the glass.

Colour
I need some individuality and colour in the van. I can do this with the throw on the back seat but I’m also thinking about getting some vinyl on the outside table in the door (and possibly the inside table) to add a slash of colour.

Outside styling
I don’t want to do anything that could encourage VW not to honour any warranty issues so will leave lowering/mapping until out of warranty. Probably also wheels (although I’d love a set of black alloys as these look great on Ascot Grey). Looking black abs back bumper protector, piano black wing mirror covers, piano black vinyls on b pillars and possible black decals at the bottom of the side panels.

Spare Safe
These are out of stock with the locking bolt; I've signed up to alerts. I assume the Cali doesn't come with a locking bolt already in situ that can be used with the spare safe without the bolt (as that option is in stock in the club shop)?
Depends on where you live / park. You can probably pickup a new steel rim and 215 tyre for very little money.

Levelling chocks
Don't see these as being rocket science and we've got the 215 tyres so pretty much any will do I expect?!
To swing round the drivers seat you need to release the handbrake. I have ramps with interlocking chocks which allow this with minimum fuss.

This is for charging at home really rather than campsites as I don't envisage much, if any, EHU use.
My van came with a UK adapter.

- Thermal wrap for front windscreen (I know from experience how much condensation appears here, which in itself isn't a problem for me per se as I know "it happens" but it presumably would save having to clear it in the morning before driving off and we do a lot of "site hopping" rather than staying in one place).
Ventilation is really the only solution to condensation. Rain deflectors allow you to ventilate the front near the heater inlet.

Anything else I'm missing? We've got a comfort mattress already and all the other camping stuff (sleeping bags, kitchen equipment etc. etc.) and obviously can't mail-order a gas cylinder so will get that separately.
Chorley bottle gas, a club trade advertiser will do gas mail order. There is also a compatible bottle available from leisure gas which is zinc coated but can't be exchanged on the continent.

Depends on where you live / park. You can probably pickup a new steel rim and 215 tyre for very little money.

Chorley bottle gas, a club trade advertiser will do gas mail order. There is also a compatible bottle available from leisure gas which is zinc coated but can't be exchanged on the continent.
If we think theft while out and about (i.e. motorway services, visiting attractions etc..) is a low risk, I won't bother then - it'll be parked behind a secure gate on private property.

I know Chorley bottle gas and it's not that far from where I live so I will ring ahead to make sure they've got stock and will call in.

We've never used seat covers in either of our vans, no kids but a black lab, and not had any problems with marks or staining.
You must have a very well behaved lab. Or keep him scrupulously clean!

Seat Covers (waterproof)
If you got the Art Velour seats, there’s no need for covers. Any spill will be easily wiped clean in a second. If you have the cloths seats, then yes, a cover would be advisable. Can’t help there unfortunately.

Levelling chocks
Buy them if and when you need them. After a year and close to 100 nights in close to 100 different locations (both wild camping and campsites), I’m yet to find a single place where they would have been needed. Given how bulky (and messy I imagine) they are, I’d wait if I were you.

A mains adapter comes with the van if you bought it new. All you need is a regular extension lead.

Takes about 5 seconds to wipe off any condensation before driving off (and that’s if you wake up and leave straight away. If you take time to have breakfast and air the van, any condensation will have long evaporated by the time you’re ready to go). One of those things to put on the long finger if I were you.

This https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/brogrund-touch-top-bin-stainless-steel-70433364/ and that https://amzn.eu/d/hIOhqiX are literally the only two things we bought we’ve found essential (but you couldn’t defo do without to start with).

20230324_111014.jpg
After originally having the waterproof covers (practical but ugly) we have recently upgraded to these 'pleather' ones from the club shop. They are a great fit, and very comfortable. Also easily wipeable so perfect for muddy/drooly dogs like our Barney!

20230407_192602.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Sad
Everyone’s experience is different I guess.

Levelling ramps - we usually carry 2 sets of them now, the yellow Fiamma type, unless we know the site we‘re going to is level. I can’t live with anything but level (max 0.5 degree slope). We got the second set when touring Cornwall and staying on very pretty but hilly sites, and we also needed both sets occasionally in Scotland recently.

Seat covers - waterproof VW (Inka) ones are fitted for when we carry our sons dog. Also resists pasta sauce nicely!

Screen covers - we went for inside insulation as opposed to external ones. The external type get soppy wet quite often, and they’re quite bulky. Our inside ones (Isolite) store on the upper bed. About 80% effective regards condensation, and 100% black out.

An added thing we’d not be without is the small cooker for cooking outside. Ours is a Campinggaz Party Grill 400, but Cadac do a very similar sized one. Not cooking inside limits mess, smells and condensation.

The second recommendation I’d give is a Ridge Monkey deep pan and grill lid. We use it for most non BBQ meals. It acts a bit like a pressure cooker.

We carry 2 gas bottles, one in place and the other in the bottom of the wardrobe, from experience refills aren't always just round the corner.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back