Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A to B (and back again) driving with the bed down

John Herbert

John Herbert

Once a camper ...
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All

First let me tell you, in case you are interested, about A to B which is the reason I treated myself, thank you Mr Nationwide for the loan,and have ordered a 204 Ocean with ACC plus DSG with delivery I hope in January . A is for Altea (near Alicante and also Benidorm) and B is for Bilbao (where the Brittany Ferry from Portsmouth docks in northern Spain). A to B is 470 miles (it can sometimes also be an A to S (S for Santander ) a further 65 miles making a one go trip of 535 miles. Now I know the California is a camper in disguise but there are times, like this - when the California is full of other non-camping stuff, when you just want to get home and be in your own bed. There are, in any case, few camp sites in the middle of Spain, they are mostly on the east coast Costas.

Now for those who have been patient enough here is the question – what experience is there for anyone driving the California with the bed down and made up (partially covered with surplus luggage stuff, but still leaving enough space to the side) for a tired driver to take a 30 minute break (OK at my age it's called a nap). Also, in this configuration, can the kitchen be accessed and used for a brew up.

Thanks for any friendly responses.

Sure you can drive with the rear seat flat as in sleeping position.

Do note things stacked on top of the bed wil be projected to front in case of emergency stop or accident

You are not safe sleeping on the bed while driving if not wearing seatbelt.

The aces to the kitchen wardrobe it possible on T6 as vw put the handles(push button) to open the sliding doors a slightly higher then on the T5.
But you can not reach under the shelf only on top of the shelf ...so everyting you need schould be above the shelf.

Using the table is out of the question .

Sitting on the bech seat would be knees against the back of the front seats.

No problem, as Wim says.

Make sure first there is nothing going to hit you at 70mph as it leaves bed and flies through the air should anything go wrong. Leave all the Brew stuff behind the passenger seat, in the sink and in the right hand side of the kitchen cupboard, and go for it.

Just pop the roof and sleep up there, leaves your full kitchen free.

Just pop the roof and sleep up there, leaves your full kitchen free.

I can understand you sometimes like to be a bit in "stealth mode" popping the roof up makes it very obvoius.

@John Herbert , putting the seat down in to bed is'nt all that big work , you could also do it when you stop .

There are some aires dotted around aren't there? Our family of four drove from bilbao to almeria, with two overnight stops in our previous Camper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HC, I know those motorways in Belgium are pretty straight, but I still wouldn't advise driving while asleep, seatbelt or not...

:bananadance:bananadance

Thats my point .....you can not lie down and sleep and wear the seatbelt so not safe

Thanks for the replies. I take the point about not sleeping whilst travelling, health and safety rules. As to securing any loose stuff will look at using canvas "kit bag" type of packages secured to a rear bed fixing with strong straps. Off course with the back bed in sleep mode, and the back seats slid forward, there will be in any event more space under the bed and will try if possible to avoid having to carry stuff on top of the bed which allows the California to be slept in at night. Have noted the suggested and recommended Zaragosa camp site, which says it is open all year and it has a restaurant so can, for the journey, leave the Cali in sleep mode. I will keep that in reserve as a plan B if the journey is to tiring.
Many Thanks.

Hi All

First let me tell you, in case you are interested, about A to B which is the reason I treated myself, thank you Mr Nationwide for the loan,and have ordered a 204 Ocean with ACC plus DSG with delivery I hope in January . A is for Altea (near Alicante and also Benidorm) and B is for Bilbao (where the Brittany Ferry from Portsmouth docks in northern Spain). A to B is 470 miles (it can sometimes also be an A to S (S for Santander ) a further 65 miles making a one go trip of 535 miles. Now I know the California is a camper in disguise but there are times, like this - when the California is full of other non-camping stuff, when you just want to get home and be in your own bed. There are, in any case, few camp sites in the middle of Spain, they are mostly on the east coast Costas.

Now for those who have been patient enough here is the question – what experience is there for anyone driving the California with the bed down and made up (partially covered with surplus luggage stuff, but still leaving enough space to the side) for a tired driver to take a 30 minute break (OK at my age it's called a nap). Also, in this configuration, can the kitchen be accessed and used for a brew up.

Thanks for any friendly responses.
I have driven with the bed down - not for sleep but for transporting large items. Not as long a journey as yours but fine so long as whatever items are on it are secured

There is space on the floor between the end of the bed and the back of the front seats for a bag or two might no be necessary to strap anything to the bed.

As to securing any loose stuff will look at using canvas "kit bag" type of packages secured to a rear bed fixing with strong straps.

A great way to tether almost anything to the rear seat (whether up or down) to avoid it becoming a projectile under braking is to use the type of short seat-belt strap used to secure a dog harness. They have a spring clip at one end and a seat belt tongue at the other. Simples!

Loads of them on Amazon etc for a couple of quid.

716JxjiQGuL._SX522_.jpg

Back