Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A couple of questions kiting, camping and cooking related

Hi,

We are new Cali owners, and thinking of taking our first camping / kitesurfing trip down the west coast of France.
We are looking for intelligence on great kitesurfing beaches, (preferably flattish water) with nice, camp sites (with clean facilities) close by. Any info is gratefully received.
Also, we are thinking of buying a Cobb cooking system. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they easy to use? If we buy the gas version, are the 445g gas bottles readily available in France?
Just come back from La Rochelle but more precisely 'La Ile de Re' the Island just off La Rochelle and I have to say this is absolutely brilliant for kiting. The island is flat throughout, quite a lot of windsurfers and there always seems to be a consistent breeze/wind. We only have a. 2m Peter Lynn which was excellent to fly. Off road Cycle routes throughout the island take you to new stretches of near isolated beaches where when the tide is out gives you huge areas to kite on.
On the Cobb, I would go for the gas version. We have the version that uses the cobblestone and the only thing is can take a while to heat up and cook on so we don't tend to use it so often now. I guess the gas would be better. Also the cooking style is halfway between frying and oven cook (with lid on) so don't think of this As a barbecue... Good luck!

Regarding kiting spots.... I've been to Ile de Re and that was really nice.

I've also been to Brittany. Carnac/Quiberon was really good, it's basically an island with waves on the west side & a massive flat water lagoon on the east side (Sable le Blanc).

Video here:

I've also just come back from a holiday near Quimper. Another really good spot, very close to La Torche (a massive wave spot), but unforunately the wind didn't blow in the right direction for that. i managed a couple of sessions at Ile Tudy (flat water), which were very nice.

You can scope out locations by using the website http://locations.splocs.com
It gives you (rudimentary) information, on the various locations...

Just come back from La Rochelle but more precisely 'La Ile de Re' the Island just off La Rochelle and I have to say this is absolutely brilliant for kiting. The island is flat throughout, quite a lot of windsurfers and there always seems to be a consistent breeze/wind. We only have a. 2m Peter Lynn which was excellent to fly. Off road Cycle routes throughout the island take you to new stretches of near isolated beaches where when the tide is out gives you huge areas to kite on.
On the Cobb, I would go for the gas version. We have the version that uses the cobblestone and the only thing is can take a while to heat up and cook on so we don't tend to use it so often now. I guess the gas would be better. Also the cooking style is halfway between frying and oven cook (with lid on) so don't think of this As a barbecue... Good luck!

Cheers for the info. My hubby had mentioned Ile de Re as a likely candidate,so it's good to know. Can you recommend any campsites there please?

Regarding kiting spots.... I've been to Ile de Re and that was really nice.

I've also been to Brittany. Carnac/Quiberon was really good, it's basically an island with waves on the west side & a massive flat water lagoon on the east side (Sable le Blanc).

Video here:

I've also just come back from a holiday near Quimper. Another really good spot, very close to La Torche (a massive wave spot), but unforunately the wind didn't blow in the right direction for that. i managed a couple of sessions at Ile Tudy (flat water), which were very nice.

You can scope out locations by using the website http://locations.splocs.com
It gives you (rudimentary) information, on the various locations...
That is a really useful resource. Thank you.
Looks like a plan might finally be coming together

No can do hon. We are going to London tomorrow for the weekend.....gonna try the cable park
Thanks for the offer tho.
Any Intel in west coast France kiting spots?
We don't kite surf (!) but when we stayed at Les Abers Caravan club site in Brittany there were lots of people who were. What a wonderful site, we pitched up on top of a hill and the views were amazing.
Booked the ferries and sites for a tour with the CC club. When the return ferry was cancelled they sorted the replacement ferry with Brittany ferries and got us a new cc site which meant we did nothing and didn't have to pay any cancellation charges. We just got on with enjoying our hols.

good flat water kiting near ile de Noirmoutiers

Cheers for the info. My hubby had mentioned Ile de Re as a likely candidate,so it's good to know. Can you recommend any campsites there please?
Yes, we stayed at 'La Tour de Prises' - was an excellent level campsite with good facilities, including indoor heated pool and entertainments room. Cycle paths start right outside the campsite door and off in different directions. These are flat/level paths for bikes only (no cars) so great and safe for kids.
I gather it gets busy in summer so book up. There are so many campsites on the island so you will have lots to choose from, but we found this one to be ideally positioned for visiting other towns. Good luck.

Yes, we stayed at 'La Tour de Prises' - was an excellent level campsite with good facilities, including indoor heated pool and entertainments room. Cycle paths start right outside the campsite door and off in different directions. These are flat/level paths for bikes only (no cars) so great and safe for kids.
I gather it gets busy in summer so book up. There are so many campsites on the island so you will have lots to choose from, but we found this one to be ideally positioned for visiting other towns. Good luck.
Thanks Calicasas.