Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A cool question for Beach owners?

For those of you with the fridge behind the passenger seat, do you move it when you park up overnight? Does it not get in the way of rotating the front seat, or block the legroom for someone sat in the front passenger seat when swivelled round? Cheers
We always use an awning, either wind out with panels or driveaway as we like the extra space so the fridge goes in there.

I have a CF 40 so even bigger and I think perhaps I would go smaller if I did it again. It does have great capacity obviously. Because we have a slidepod it has to go in the van. We have it length ways against the side of the van and it works well like that. I also have a dedicated fused cable direct to the battery to avoid voltage drop.

Its perfect height to rest your feet on when sat in the passenger seat, with a cushion it could be an extra seat too. The table will fit over the top of it without any issues.

When we make up the lower bed, it goes width ways and fits between the seat and bed no problem with ventilation room.

Tom: thank you for your detailed information.
I usually leave the sofa at its sleeping position since it saves us work at evening time and we have the same space in the rear when folded. However, the table is slightly worse setting up inside when sofa is this far to the front. Do you find you can open the fridge when table is up inside?

In a somewhat chaotic circumstance, I've set the van up for four dining inside.
1. Multiflex just shy of rearmost position, so 12v boot socket is available for external lighting
2. Bench pushed back to multiflex
3. Front passenger seat not swivelled with pockets on rear, compactly folded pushchair behind and 28CFX strapped behind.
4. Table installed

The fridge opens fully. If any part of the fridge is under the table, contents of the fridge would only be partly accessible.

0df627d46983b08d5b5ca8b8dcf7e9ef.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I have a CFX26 in the 3 seat Beach - and it can go anywhere - under or on top of MFB or in behind the seats. We are a family of 4 and manage because its my fridge and my beer takes priority. I think its the perfect size for the vehicle, and when we are 2 up its fine. If we are away with 4 we make do - if we are on family events and need more capacity we take a cooler box full of frozen blocks - always a compromise, but space is a big consideration

Has anyone got or had a Waeco TCX 35? - This is sold as a Tropicool thermoelectric which can cool to 30deg below ambient temperature? - I wondered if they live up to the advertising and whether they are noisy - they are certainly a bit cheaper than the CoolFreeze CFX type.
As you might guess we are looking at present but want to keep enough cash to also get a roll-out awning out of a grand!

Has anyone got or had a Waeco TCX 35? - This is sold as a Tropicool thermoelectric which can cool to 30deg below ambient temperature? - I wondered if they live up to the advertising and whether they are noisy - they are certainly a bit cheaper than the CoolFreeze CFX type.
As you might guess we are looking at present but want to keep enough cash to also get a roll-out awning out of a grand!
Maybe speak to a dealer and ask the question - i bought mine from Attwoolls earlier this year and had a deal on some older stock - the CFX kit is good

Thermoelectric will drain your leisure battery very quickly. You really do need to shell out for a compressor fridge for camping. Thermoelectric is fine for picnics.

For those of you with the fridge behind the passenger seat, do you move it when you park up overnight? Does it not get in the way of rotating the front seat, or block the legroom for someone sat in the front passenger seat when swivelled round? Cheers

Mine is now on my sliding rack in the boot. I was getting sick of it being in the way in the main part of the van.
Really happy with the new location and it won’t be going back behind the passenger seat any time soon.
Stays in it’s new location for our entire trip.

4ED26DA2-C37D-473C-BEF7-DB31005E97AD.jpeg

Having taken Amarillo's advice - I now have a cfx28! - via gumtree.
It looks good and currently is at -18c awaiting the contents of our freezer whilst we defrost the latter!!
One question - do you keep both leads plugged in when it it in the Cali - the booklet implies that it will automatically select mains when that is connected? One other question(!) do you unplug it when starting up or connecting a mains hook-up?

Having taken Amarillo's advice - I now have a cfx28! - via gumtree.
It looks good and currently is at -18c awaiting the contents of our freezer whilst we defrost the latter!!
One question - do you keep both leads plugged in when it it in the Cali - the booklet implies that it will automatically select mains when that is connected? One other question(!) do you unplug it when starting up or connecting a mains hook-up?
I leave both plugged in, it will switch automatically as indicated in the booklet. Great bit of kit, the quick release plate is worth having if you can get it at a decent price.

Mine is now on my sliding rack in the boot. I was getting sick of it being in the way in the main part of the van.
Really happy with the new location and it won’t be going back behind the passenger seat any time soon.
Stays in it’s new location for our entire trip.

View attachment 27347

Do you find it works quite hard in that setup? Reason I ask is it doesnt look like much space around the vents in that config. MY CF40 was very unrealiable and struggled to hold temperature when I first used it (some threads on it somewhere on here) because I didnt give it enough "breathing" space. Once I gave it a bit more space it worked cooler and used less power too.

Haven’t noticed any problems.
I’m guessing there should be a good stream of air moving down the side of the multiflex to help keep things cool.
Plus, I’ve ran on mains to get temp down initially, once it’s at the right temperature it should work fairly economically.

Had no issues in Spain earlier in the year and did a few nights in hotels because of baby troubles.
Quite surprised the Leisure battery kept it powered as I though it was about knackered.
Still on the original battery.

I use a cf 26 and hold it still just using a bungee cord hooked into the floor rail anchor points. works for me. keep it behind the passenger seat but lengthways against the wall. makes a handy table too. seats still turn ok . not found it flattening my battery yet after 2 days without running the engine or hook up and holy smoke are my beers cold .

@Borris How do find your CFX35? having just had our first Cali delivered this week, I'm interested in how loud the fridge is and where you keep in the van?

Hello
@Borris How do find your CFX35? having just had our first Cali delivered this week, I'm interested in how loud the fridge is and where you keep in the van?
Hello Matty,
The CFX 35 is a brilliant fridge/freezer. It's well made and virtually silent when in use. It does emit a whisper quite hum when the compressor is in action but remember that it doesn't operate all of the time, in fact that seems to be hardly at all. Anyway you have to listen quite hard to hear it.

The shape and construction of this unit is very practical as well. You can use it as a foot stool or coffee table as well as a fridge/freezer. My wife has even been known to stand on it to reach the roof before now although she stopped doing that after I growled at her. The lid has a wipe clean rubberized surface and the corners have armoured caps like those on event speakers. The carrying handles are robust, well made and fit for purpose. In fact there appears to be nothing that is flimsy or poorly made about the CFX 35.

The LED controls are simple and effective. You just set the temp to 4c and it will maintain it day and night, as it should. It can be used as a freezer as well, if you need to do that although you probably wouldn't use that function when camping. It's also useful at family events and big gatherings as a self contained fridge freezer running on mains power.

It has a large capacity so is ideal for family camping trips or extended trips with just two although the slightly smaller CFX28 would probably be just as useful. Amarillo has a CFX28 and says it's been fine for his brood on their extended travels.

This fridge/freezer is very frugal so you should be good for up to 3 - 4 days off grid (depending on your other usage and the state of your leisure battery). If the inbuilt leisure batt protection device detects a low battery it will shut the fridge off so you should never left with a completely dead battery. The fridge interior light even starts to flash as a warning if you've had the lid open for too long so it's very well designed.

We keep our CFX 35 behind the front seats with a padded buffer. We always ratchet strap it down to the floor rails when in transit. However, I'm going to either buy or make a slide out boot tray so it may sometimes be housed in the boot depending on the purpose of the trip. I must say that the former position is excellent for touring as the contents are quickly accessed for picnics and drinks stops.

The only slightly negative issues that I have experienced are:
1. The 12 volt lead on our unit is a sod to get out once you have shoved it into the socket on the back. It is very tight and a little silicon spray would be a good idea before you initially push it in.
2. The blue LED control panel is quite bright at night. We have resorted to throwing a towel or something over it when we go to bed.

So in essence, it's brilliant. However, be sure that you actually need one this big as I am sure that the smaller CFX units would be just as useful on the majority of outings. It comes into its own on longer trips in remote areas off grid, when entertaining and with larger families.

Last edited:
I can only chime in on the same observations with our CXF-28. Its big enough for is four in the family. We have also used ours to freeze meet when we get larger deliverys.
When summer camping it is located on its slide out in the back. In winter camping i have it strapped down behind drivers seat ( left side).

cheers Borris & Kave, great reply with all the info I was after. Looking at the external sizes there's not much difference between the 35 & 28. Need to do some measuring up when i get home.

20161220_151856.jpg
Quick release plate for CFX28 fits well on top of the multiflex. .even when "flexed" (folded) ..... allows kids access when on the move!

If any of your beach owners are interested I have a brand new waeco cfx40 thinking of selling.
Just a thought.

Can I ask please what the Quick Release Plate is? Does / can it use the rails or is some degree of user adaptation required ?

Thanks
The plate is screwed to the black piece of wood which is then mounted to the rails, you can see the T bolts (available from VW) going through to the rails.

The plate is screwed to the black piece of wood which is then mounted to the rails, you can see the T bolts (available from VW) going through to the rails.

Cheers

I'm no handyman so would need to have fabricated and the picture will assist .I assume from what you say that it is pretty straightforward .

I have a strap going all the way around the bottom of the front passenger chair, through both handles of the fridge, then around the fridge. Cheap, easy and also quick release.

Back