A/c in drive away awning

Shire Cali

Shire Cali

Shire Cali
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi Guys

Anybody got any recommendations for a portable Ac unit for a drive away awning.
Thinking of south of france in August and the heat will be scorchio …

Also ,does van AC run ok when connected to mains, I assume it runs off the vehicle batteries and do they trickle charge off the main hook up …. Probably been asked before a hundred times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A/C in the van runs off an engine driven compressor as far as I am aware, so won't work unless the engine is running.

Can't help on the practicality of using a portable a/c unit to cool the awning. I suspect though that it will be fighting a losing battle through lack of insulation in the awning material. And a large unit might trip the hook up breaker if used in conjunction with other electrical appliances Looks like 9,000 BTU portable units draw around 1000 Watts.

Hi Guys

Anybody got any recommendations for a portable Ac unit for a drive away awning.
Thinking of south of france in August and the heat will be scorchio …

Also ,does van AC run ok when connected to mains, I assume it runs off the vehicle batteries and do they trickle charge off the main hook up …. Probably been asked before a hundred times

Van AirCon will ONLY work with engine running.

Most owners resort to using 12v fans in the vehicle or mains powered fans if on hookup.

AirCon unit in an awning is like having AirCon in your garden. Basically impractical.

Had been told it worked well in south of france .. but thanks

I thought the Ac in the van was limited to engine only .. cheers

You could consider a polly cotton awning. They tend to be more expensive and a bit bulkier, but supposedly better ventilation. I'm not sure by what margin. Vango does a range.

Back