Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A basic question about thermal windscreen covers

M

MountainRunner

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, and apologies for a basic question about external thermal windscreen covers - if you fit one of these, is it still possible to open and close the van doors while the cover is fitted?

Hi, and apologies for a basic question about external thermal windscreen covers - if you fit one of these, is it still possible to open and close the van doors while the cover is fitted?
Hi MountainRunner, we have a front external thermal screen cover and I can't open the driver/passenger door more than about a foot open without it feeling like it will tear the stitching. It is a bit better when we fold the front part down (we have an external cover that has velcro where the a pillars are allowing it to be partly opened halfway from the top down). You could also un hook it from the top of the door and undo the velcro strap under the wing mirror to remove it from the side window and fully open the door.

If you get the Brandrup external screen cover you can open doors as it only covers screen not doors. It’s pricey for what it is but works.

As the external covers are secured by the doors there is limited door opening available but as these are only fitted when 'camping' the side door is the main entrance/exit. Any need to access the front seats in the normal forward facing position is via the rear.
If a door is required to fully open it only takes a few seconds to unhook the cover from the door top.

you don't say why you think it may be an issue.

As the external covers are secured by the doors there is limited door opening available but as these are only fitted when 'camping' the side door is the main entrance/exit. Any need to access the front seats in the normal forward facing position is via the rear.
If a door is required to fully open it only takes a few seconds to unhook the cover from the door top.

you don't say why you think it may be an issue.
Hi B J G and thanks for the reply. I'm new to the California and (before the current crisis) took my van on quite few winter trips. So I like the idea of a thermal cover, however I also found I was opening the front door quite a bit to access bits and pieces I left in the foot wells. Hence my question on being able to open front doors with the screen cover on. But perhaps the answer is to be a bit better organised so I don't need to open them!

Hi @MountainRunner, I also have an external cover which fits over the top of the doors and regularly leave the seats in their normal position and put things on the seat/in the footwell.
As a result I am also going in and out regularly but find it is pretty easy to lift up the corner of the cover on the rear top corner of the door and it gives enough slack to open the door for access.
This was made much easier once I found that I don’t need to use the Velcro around the wing mirrors

We use the below; Comes in 3 sections & has velcro on the side panels so easy to open side doors when you need too. Side panels hook over the corner of the doors so will stay in place when door is open:

We had the one from the club shop which also had Velcro allowing either side to be removed.

Back