7 seat Beach bed

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Has anyone tried forming a bed from the 3 seat bench and 2 additional seats?

It appears to me that a simple strip of marine ply over the two additional seats, with a mattress topper on the entire bench and additional seats would make a perfectly adequate bed, with no need for the rear shelf.

We find the combination of the rear shelf and the space created by leaving one of the middle seats at home a massive advantage. We can pack more in the boot with the rear shelf in place as without it it is a pretty vertical loading space. We would miss the small space to stand to change etc in the spot where the 7th seat would sit. There are 6 of us so we only need the one middle seat - if you need both then I can understand your looking at this option. Damn those middle seats are heavy.....

As an aside - we found conflicting reports from the dealers we spoke to when buying our T6 Beach with 3 seat bench on whether the bed can be made up with both the multiflex board and middle row seats in place. In fact it is pretty simple - but you very much need to know the position things need to be in (i.e. with the middle row seats facing backwards and slightly under the bench seat as it flattens).

if you need both then I can understand your looking at this option

We are touring Europe between June 2017 and Summer 2018 (i.e. for 12-15 months) with our two boys who will be ages 3.5 and 2 in June next year. They will be using the middle row integrated child seats and sleeping on the bench. We want to be able to have friends and family fly out to stay with us, and be able to transport everyone without having to hire a second vehicle.

We will be sleeping in the Beach about 25% of nights. Other times will be be renting other people's holiday homes for one or two weeks at a time, and using the van to transport us and our stuff from place to place.

We realise that the rear area is usually a small space, but with the middle row occupied with small children and the seats pushed quite far forward, and the empty bench pushed up to the back of the middle row seats, and with the multiflex board removed, there should be a sizeable payload area. We may even find that we can drive about with the bench flattened and luggage stowed on the flattened bench.

However, my question is not to do with any of the above. It is about making up the downstairs bed on the bench and second row seats instead of the bench and multiflex post summer 2018 when we might be sleeping downstairs and the boys upstairs.

Our Beach is due to be delivered in December, so we are unable to play around with different configurations.

You'd have to fill the gap between the seats and the bench though. Child booster seats usually work.
Or just slide the 3seater bench a bit forward. We put a 140x200 ikea matress topper on top of it, works perfect.

That is really useful information.

I was hoping to be able to fill the gaps using a sheet of marine plywood between the backs of the front seats and the front edge of the bench seat, resting on the folded middle seats. Using a 1400 x 200 Ikea topper is also exactly what I had in mind. What size plywood would I need? I am expecting that 1500 x 1000 should be sufficient.

That size should work. The bed would be a massive 2m40 by 1m50(widest point)
But the plywood makes one side a bit higher than the other and where would you store it?
Also, a matress topper works well because under that are the soft seats.. but if you put plywood under it, I'd worry it is too hard to sleep on.
At the same time, just putting the 3 seater bench 5 cm away from the back (you don't sleep on that part, topper still to the edge), and make the gap between the middle seats and the bench about 5 cm as well, it would work with just a topper (without plywood), if you sleep head near the tailgate, legs on the middle seats (not the gap in between the middle seats) .. depends on how tall you are. But the bed should still be around 1m90. Feet can hang over the edge if necessary.

We've camped a couple of times in 7 seater mode (taking friends and using a tent), it works, with the latter part of the multiflex board bent down (you are aware of this possibility right? The so-called "long bed"-mode).

That size should work. The bed would be a massive 2m40 by 1m50(widest point)

I think that you have slightly misunderstood. The size bed I want is 2 x 1.5m, as far forward as possible. The middle row seats pushed fully forward, and the ply resting on the middle row seats between the backs of the driver's and front passenger's seats and the front of the bench. This would cover the T shaped gap between the middle row seats and between the middle row and bench.

But the plywood makes one side a bit higher than the other and where would you store it?

I had understood that the folded down middle row seats were about 5mm lower than the bench seat, and ply is about that thickness.

Comfort should be OK as only legs and feet would be on the ply.

Could 1.5 x 1m ply be stowed in the roof space of the lowered upper bed?

I think that you have slightly misunderstood. The size bed I want is 2 x 1.5m, as far forward as possible. The middle row seats pushed fully forward, and the ply resting on the middle row seats between the backs of the driver's and front passenger's seats and the front of the bench. This would cover the T shaped gap between the middle row seats and between the middle row and bench.
Why not move the middle seats backward until they almost (5cm) touch the 3seat bench? Then it's not a T-shape to cover, just the space in between the middle seats. And if you leave the same space at the back between tail door and bench, you have about 1m90. If you put a topper on it and lie on the middle seats, not in the middle of the van, it's okay (we've slept like that).

I had understood that the folded down middle row seats were about 5mm lower than the bench seat, and ply is about that thickness.
Never measured it... cannot confirm or deny. I never noticed..

Comfort should be OK as only legs and feet would be on the ply.
True..
Could 1.5 x 1m ply be stowed in the roof space of the lowered upper bed?
No.. the upper bed is only 1m20 wide and the space to store stuff even less. Try splitting it in two perhaps, but even then.. I wouldn't do it. Large objects aren't so easy to store when fully packed.
And while the bed is made up you would not be able to access anything under the ply. With just the topper, this is possible by lifting a corner/side.

I suggest you try to find a thing (=a suitcase, a booster seat, small box) to fit in between the middle seats while containing stuff. Then there's no loss of space.
When folding down the bench, you have a massive space in the trunk height around 37cm to store stuff under the bench. So in a beach it's always a bit moving things around and having the right size boxes/suitcases helps

Why not move the middle seats backward until they almost (5cm) touch the 3seat bench?

My aim will be to maximise the payload area in the rear of the van: I want the downstairs bed as far forward as possible so I do not have to shift luggage from the boot.

From what you say, a very reasonable bed can be made from the bench and middle row seats with the addition of a decent topper. The only significant gap to worry about is the once between the two middle row seats, and I could very easily make a box to fill that gap - that is a great idea.

You have been a great help, and I am heartened that we will have sufficient space in our Beach for two adults, two young children and two dogs for a year touring Europe, while still having the capacity to empty the van of all our gear and having a 7 seat MPV for friends and family who come to stay with us during our tour.

For those curious, while camping our living and cooking area will be a decent drive-away awning.

Do you know what the "long bed" mode is in the 7 seater beach?
Half of the multiflex board in the back, and you get a nice 150x200 bed which touches the back of the front seats.
For picture see this topic https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/7-seater-questions.4453/ except the front seats don't have te be reversed.
I think this is the best option, when driving store things/dogs on top of the multiflex board, when sleeping store things under the bench

The manual says there are 3 ways of setting up the bed. Short medium and long. Long I think uses the middle row seats.

The manual says there are 3 ways of setting up the bed. Short medium and long. Long I think uses the middle row seats.
I admit I never read the manual A-Z, though I did skip through it. I don't recall seeing that "short" mode.
So now I'm really wondering what would be 'short'..
is that half of the multiflexboard (latter part bent down) and without middle seats? Bed would then only be about 1m70.. but perhaps that's good enough for kids sleeping downstairs.

Doesn't the middle row of seats need to be removed to use the bed?

What floor space I left. I know vw intended them to be removed