Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

680 4motion haldex

AndrewCook680

AndrewCook680

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi
I’ve got a GC680 4motion on order. I understand it has same Haldex 4wd system as the Golf R I own.
its well known in golf R owners club that the filter on the haldex pump needs cleaning frequently, and definitely done during the haldex oil changes. VW don’t do this, but some people ask them to specifically clean it, some dealers refuse though.
I have cleaned the filter on mine a few times and it was gunked up. Eventually the pump will burn out if it clogs up.
wonder how many GC 680 4motion owners are aware of this. I guess the haldex will get a lot more use in the golf with its 300bhp though.

more info here

Hi
I’ve got a GC680 4motion on order. I understand it has same Haldex 4wd system as the Golf R I own.
its well known in golf R owners club that the filter on the haldex pump needs cleaning frequently, and definitely done during the haldex oil changes. VW don’t do this, but some people ask them to specifically clean it, some dealers refuse though.
I have cleaned the filter on mine a few times and it was gunked up. Eventually the pump will burn out if it clogs up.
wonder how many GC 680 4motion owners are aware of this. I guess the haldex will get a lot more use in the golf with its 300bhp though.

more info here

Hi Andrew, the haldex oil change is a service item at 40k miles on a DSG equipped transporter. I am sure it will be there on you GC as well.

Friday my Cali went in for its 40k mls service and I was suggested a DSG oil change. I had it done at about 20k mls ... so deferred it to later.

I think the earlier golfs never had it as a service item and VW introduced it later. I had the DSG oil changed on my mk6 golf ... again at 40k mls. but don't remember if i asked them to do it or they did it themselves.

EDIT: earlier early morning response without a morning coffee now updated.

the haldex oil change does not seem to be a service item on the transporter whereas the DSG oil change is a service item at 40k miles.

My DSG felt a bit sluggish when changing to drive, so while they were under the van got both the haldex and the DSG oil changed.

Friday my Cali went in for its 40k mls service and I was suggested a DSG oil change. I had it done at about 20k mls ... so deferred it to later. There was no mention of a Haldex oil change (it may come up later).

Last edited:
Hi Andrew, the haldex oil change is a service item at 40k miles on a DSG equipped transporter. I am sure it will be there on you GC as well.

Friday my Cali went in for its 40k mls service and I was suggested a DSG oil change. I had it done at about 20k mls ... so deferred it to later.

I think the earlier golfs never had it as a service item and VW introduced it later. I had the DSG oil changed on my mk6 golf ... again at 40k mls. but don't remember if i asked them to do it or they did it themselves.
Hi
the DSG oil change is separate from the haldex oil change (which is on rear axle differential).
on golf R the haldex oil change is 30k miles and DSG on mk7 is now 60k miles, but some change it earlier.
regardless it’s the filter on haldex pump which is critical to get a clean.

Just for info, the Grand Cali does not have a DSG gearbox.
Can’t advise regarding the 4motion part as I don’t have one, but you sound fairly informed @AndrewCook680 but worth quizzing VW service department for there info on service intervals for fluids.

Hi
the DSG oil change is separate from the haldex oil change (which is on rear axle differential).
on golf R the haldex oil change is 30k miles and DSG on mk7 is now 60k miles, but some change it earlier.
regardless it’s the filter on haldex pump which is critical to get a clean.
Apologies, my bad. excuse - early morning without a coffee response.

I had both haldex and DSG changed at 20K mls. The DSG was feeling a bit tight in shifting and so while getting that work done and they were under the vehicle, got both changed.

You are right - not sure if Haldex oil change is a part of the regular maintenance items

Edit - earlier response now updated

Last edited:
Just for info, the Grand Cali does not have a DSG gearbox.
Can’t advise regarding the 4motion part as I don’t have one, but you sound fairly informed @AndrewCook680 but worth quizzing VW service department for there info on service intervals for fluids.
yes thank - I often see GC described as having a DSG gearbox, lots folk seem to make the mistake on reviews etc, but it clearly doesn’t have DSG logo on gear lever like my R does,
and I had read it has a normal type autobox,
shame becuase the DSG is such a slick system, love it on my Golf R

Back