Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Rear Aircon Heater

Neuromancer11

Neuromancer11

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi All, having used the van over the weekend with the Aircon in the front set at say 19 degrees a couple of times I’ve noticed hot air coming from the back, I’ve hit the “Rear” button in the panel and both times it’s been on ”Hi”, is that the default setting? Do you have to “sync” it every time you use the van? I kinda assumed it would just remember the last setting like the front?

Also I slid my hand down to the aux heater vent whilst driving and there’s hot air coming from it, so I’m not sure if that the same issue or another thing? Is that vent solely for the aux heater or does the regular heating system use this vent to?

Sorry a lot of questions, just trying to work out if I have a fault or not:thumb

The most common cause for this is little fingers in the back. I'd eliminate this as a cause first before investigating further.

Aux heater is for the aux heater. We keep the back one off.

Check the rear control panel, mine has the red button stuck in. If rear heating turned on irrespective of any other setting it zooms up to max heat straight away. Only way to override it is to use the sync button and control it from the front.

Only found out at Easter when the rear heat was turned on for the first time.

See now this is why I love forums! On closer inspection my red button was stuck in! so thanks for the heads up @andyinluton :thumb This might well be due to little fingers as per @yossarian post, I’ll keep and eye on that one!

So I guess that leaves the aux heater vent, is there a possibly if you switch the back to max or “Hi” it kicks in the aux heater even whilst in the move?

Our red button was stuck from the factory, don't be too quick blame the little ones.

There is absolutely no connection between the Aux heater & the Rear heating, The air intake for the aux heater is in the drivers step, if you have the cab heater on blowing hot into the footwells you do get it blowing in the air intake & coming out the aux vent outlet even with the heater off.

Check the rear control panel, mine has the red button stuck in. If rear heating turned on irrespective of any other setting it zooms up to max heat straight away. Only way to override it is to use the sync button and control it from the front.

Only found out at Easter when the rear heat was turned on for the first time.
I’ve head the rear aircon panel replaced under warranty for the same reason. One of the buttons always remained stuck once pressed, turning the vents to max airflow (including the noise). Only way to reset this was take the panel out, get button unstuck and replace.
“Sync” didn’t help, as this was constantly overriden by the stuck button.

See now this is why I love forums! On closer inspection my red button was stuck in! so thanks for the heads up @andyinluton :thumb This might well be due to little fingers as per @yossarian post, I’ll keep and eye on that one!

So I guess that leaves the aux heater vent, is there a possibly if you switch the back to max or “Hi” it kicks in the aux heater even whilst in the move?
The rear AirCon/ Heater unit has a foot level vent at the side of the bench seat, next to the sliding door.
When you say you feel hot air at the Parking Heater vent behind the drivers seat, you are in fact feeling hot air from the rear unit, set on high flow/high heat, blowing towards the rear of the drivers seat.

I was fairly sure there was warm air directly coming out of the aux vent in the b pillar, I'll check again though.

It's possible the button has been stuck from new, they managed to mount the panel upside down so wouldn't surprise me if the button is broke too! (I still need to get the panel spun round)

I was fairly sure there was warm air directly coming out of the aux vent in the b pillar, I'll check again though.

It's possible the button has been stuck from new, they managed to mount the panel upside down so wouldn't surprise me if the button is broke too! (I still need to get the panel spun round)
60 second job to pop the panel out and spin it round yourself.

If you’ve got warm air coming out of the Parking Heater vent when driving, and the Parking Heater is Off, then you will own a very rare vehicle.

I thought that I'd reply on this thread rather than start a new one.
Same problem with rear heater having a default of fan speed 3 when turning on the ignition. Override to Auto OK for journey then when turning on ignition same again, fan on 3. I have tried various combinations of setting Auto from the front and the rear panel - same result.

I had a sticking red button some time ago that is now freed. No sticking fan speed button. (If it were sticking I would expect either no fan or full speed, not a middle setting.

Any suggestions welcome rather than let a dealer loose on the vehicle !

I had the vent of the AUX heater by the sliding door giving out hot air as I was driving this past week.

My problem was I was using the heater remote fob to put the Aux heater on for 20 minutes (that I had set) intermittently during the night. By the morning when I tried to do it the green light on the fob would flash twice and the Aux heater would not work. After I had driven for the day it started working again that night but the same happened the next morning. I had well over half a tank of Diesel and the batteries were around 70 - 80% full. Any ideas?

I had the vent of the AUX heater by the sliding door giving out hot air as I was driving this past week.

My problem was I was using the heater remote fob to put the Aux heater on for 20 minutes (that I had set) intermittently during the night. By the morning when I tried to do it the green light on the fob would flash twice and the Aux heater would not work. After I had driven for the day it started working again that night but the same happened the next morning. I had well over half a tank of Diesel and the batteries were around 70 - 80% full. Any ideas?
On the Heat Immediately function (which is what the fob activates) the heater will only run for a prescribed period, I think about 90 mins, before it needs the car driven to reset it. The green double flash confirms the fob is in range but that it hasn’t activated the heater - it’s continuous green for a couple of seconds when it switches the heater on. You need to switch it on via the control panel for heat Continuously to activate. Plenty of threads on here if want a detailed explanation of how the various functions of the heater operate.

On the Heat Immediately function (which is what the fob activates) the heater will only run for a prescribed period, I think about 90 mins, before it needs the car driven to reset it. The green double flash confirms the fob is in range but that it hasn’t activated the heater - it’s continuous green for a couple of seconds when it switches the heater on. You need to switch it on via the control panel for heat Continuously to activate. Plenty of threads on here if want a detailed explanation of how the various functions of the heater operate.
Oh, that explains it fully thankyou. I will have a read on here about the heater.

Had my sticking hot button issue resolved with a new control panel fitted under warranty. MY23 California Ocean.

Back