Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 detail spec options.

M

MisterTea

VIP Member
We are finally at the point where our 2011 T5 will get replaced with a T6.1. Ive been holding out until this new one was announced as it definitely fixes a few small (but important) niggles. So having used the online builder to choose options, it’s clear VW are still learning what people want... as many options are not yet published/priced/officially available.

Thought it’d be worth building a discussion on options that folk have established are/are not available.

1) interior seems to be only listing graphite grey currently. Not ideal as it makes for a dark and dull cab. I’m hoping the new option of ‘soaped oak’ becomes available.

2) sill side bars (outside bump rails along the sills between the wheels) as I’ve currently got on my T5 don’t yet seem to be available.

3) clarity on what colour roof bellows are available with each body colour option and how these differ in material and waterproofness compared to the T5 khaki canvas. (Ie. Whilst They list grey, blue and red. some colours I believe won’t be available with certain body colours)

4) gearbox options with 4 Motion. Whilst we’d hope for a 4motion with diff lock and manual box (as we currently have), I’m guessing they’ll only ship with auto. Awaiting official confirmation.

5) interior leather(ish) seats. Seems there are a leather type seat available. Dealers havnt got clarity on finish and ease of cleaning. The cloth seats we currently have get dirty too easily and hard to clean effectively (need to use a carpet cleaner). So we are looking for clarity on ability to wipe clean these new seat options.

6) flooring. They make a big deal about hard wood effect flooring (our worse nightmare, as it is cold and noisy to use. Plus horrid in bare feet. The layer of sand/grit/water simply sits on top. Requires constant cleaning.
So I’ve asked what carpet options are available. Carpet is perfect as it holds the dirt still for days, feels nice under foot at all times, and a simple brush up or vacuum when you have power available.

I have my local guy at Wooburn Green looking into these options for me.
Anyone else looking for other unlisted options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are finally at the point where our 2011 T5 will get replaced with a T6.1. Ive been holding out until this new one was announced as it definitely fixes a few small (but important) niggles. So having used the online builder to choose options, it’s clear VW are still learning what people want... as many options are not yet published/priced/officially available.

Thought it’d be worth building a discussion on options that folk have established are/are not available.

1) interior seems to be only listing graphite grey currently. Not ideal as it makes for a dark and dull cab. I’m hoping the new option of ‘soaped oak’ becomes available.

2) sill side bars (outside bump rails along the sills between the wheels) as I’ve currently got on my T5 don’t yet seem to be available.

3) clarity on what colour roof bellows are available with each body colour option and how these differ in material and waterproofness compared to the T5 khaki canvas. (Ie. Whilst They list grey, blue and red. some colours I believe won’t be available with certain body colours)

4) gearbox options with 4 Motion. Whilst we’d hope for a 4motion with diff lock and manual box (as we currently have), I’m guessing they’ll only ship with auto. Awaiting official confirmation.

5) interior leather(ish) seats. Seems there are a leather type seat available. Dealers havnt got clarity on finish and ease of cleaning. The cloth seats we currently have get dirty too easily and hard to clean effectively (need to use a carpet cleaner). So we are looking for clarity on ability to wipe clean these new seat options.

6) flooring. They make a big deal about hard wood effect flooring (our worse nightmare, as it is cold and noisy to use. Plus horrid in bare feet. The layer of sand/grit/water simply sits on top. Requires constant cleaning.
So I’ve asked what carpet options are available. Carpet is perfect as it holds the dirt still for days, feels nice under foot at all times, and a simple brush up or vacuum when you have power available.

Sill bars are normally Dealer fit Option, Not Factory fit.

The California will never be sold with Factory Fit carpets in the camping area. Once again these will be Aftermarket, either Brandrup or other suppliers.

Due to Emissions testing I very much doubt if a Manual 4Motion is likely to be available for the U.K./EU.

Our T6.1 is already ordered and should arrive early in the New Year. Even UK options that are listed aren't always available for the dealer to order! For example we wanted Aracaju wheels, which are meant to be standard, but were not available to order when we placed ours. Similarly we asked for a two tone which is available in Germany, but again no chance in the UK. I would be amazed if you get anything other than what what the dealer can see in the UK order system.

Our T6.1 is already ordered and should arrive early in the New Year. Even UK options that are listed aren't always available for the dealer to order! For example we wanted Aracaju wheels, which are meant to be standard, but were not available to order when we placed ours. Similarly we asked for a two tone which is available in Germany, but again no chance in the UK. I would be amazed if you get anything other than what what the dealer can see in the UK order system.
The dealers appear to have absolutely no ability to influence options beyond what is offered in the UK. I tried to order a coloured canvas on our recent T6 order. It had been available but wasn't at that time we ordered. I was told that if it wasn't currently being offered as an option in the UK then I couldn't have it.

Everything you can order is on the configuratior .
if it’s not on there you can’t order it...
The dealer looking into it will come to a dead end unfortunately..they are bound by the brand.
As has been said. Carpet is Classed as accessories.
the roof bellows are darker than before being with slightly different less transparent material.

The leather look is half leatherette half alcantara type this is slightly darker that the t6 style.

The flooring is an option so you don’t have to have that.....the standard flooring is exactly the same a the original one...
by the way, not sure if you realise the wood flooring isn’t actually wood or laminate...it’s vinyl type planking look.

Last edited:

Hope the below helps a bit...all based on the Ocean rather than Coast

1) Interior colour. : Interior is graphite grey as standard, with option to have Inlays as bright brushed grey as no cost option (might brighten it up a bit). Download the brochure off the VW website to see examples.
2) Sill side bars : This is likely a dealer option, so would have to check with them
3) Roof belows. : Can be Glacier Blue or Strawberry Red as a £306 option as you say. If you add a roof colour as an option, then choose the paint colour, the configurator will tell you if it's not allowed. Bit of a pain, but can be worked out by this method.
4) Gearbox option: 4Motion 199 is only auto, no manual available (this happened around on the T6 around 18 months ago)
5) Leather: As you say, there is a leather type available for £1,230. Dealer won't be able to tell you much in terms of ease to clean ,but maybe check YouTube videos for a better idea of what that looks like. Sure I've seen one where it showed the seats.
6) Flooring : Agree with previous reply that it will be up to you to buy carpets

Good luck with your order!

Thanks all so far. Seems to me best not to rush into an early order then. Wait a bit for the brand and dealers to iron out details and options. Having waited this long to upgrade, there’s no need to rush into a compromise.

1) Interior - A concern of mine too. Its a bit on the grey side for me. Really like the T6 interior colouring, got a nice airy natural feel to it. Will have to reserve judgement until I see a new T6.1 in the flesh.

4) Gearbox , is Auto only on 4motion in 199bhp only from day 1. Cant see that changing anytime soon.

6) Flooring - as already mentioned its more of a vinyl affect flooring. Reckon it should work out ok. Looks great from the photos I've seen.

1) Interior - A concern of mine too. Its a bit on the grey side for me. Really like the T6 interior colouring, got a nice airy natural feel to it. Will have to reserve judgement until I see a new T6.1 in the flesh.

Having looked further into this. It seems if you spec a Coast (as against the Ocean) as the base vehicle. And then add in all the other options and upgrades you want, you could build the right van with the Bright Oak interior.
I’ll have a go in the configurator later to see.

Having looked further into this. It seems if you spec a Coast (as against the Ocean) as the base vehicle. And then add in all the other options and upgrades you want, you could build the right van with the Bright Oak interior.
I’ll have a go in the configurator later to see.

Be interesting to spec up a Coast to see what how it compares. :thumb

I seem to remember reading a post by a forum member who specced up a coast to Ocean level without the electric roof (which he didn't want), and it came in 3000£ cheaper. As @Sunstoner says, it will be interesting to compare.

Oops. Sad face here. The Coast is not available with a power lift roof. Only available with Manual Roof (like the Beach). That’s a bummer.

VW Realy don’t want to give us the choices we want, so it seems.

Oops. Sad face here. The Coast is not available with a power lift roof. Only available with Manual Roof (like the Beach). That’s a bummer.

Also it seems not available with 4motion.

Been done. Even with all the available Options there will still be differences. I think things like Double Glazing etc: were not available but standard on the Ocean.

Courtesy of @teeboy . A spreadsheet detailing the differences.

Even the 6.1 Beach is available with a power roof (but the Beach is no longer available in UK). These choices have been made for UK owners by VWUK, for whatever inscrutable reasons.

Really? No power roof or 4motion on coast? Such an odd arrangement of options.

Why VW didnt just stick with the Beach rather than restrict the Coast I'll never know.

Back