Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 2 day hire - initially disappointed, but now ordered!

To tell the truth I don’t even think the dealership makes 19% any longer so they probably made a loss on the sale..
The dealer has about 9%, then there was £3k from VW then that got topped up again because of the manual gearbox being no longer available. In fairness within 24 hours of the T6 being effectively written off, VW UK said "the customer will get the equivalent vehicle at the deal already agreed". Even the dealer was amazed!

The dealer has about 9%, then there was £3k from VW then that got topped up again because of the manual gearbox being no longer available. In fairness within 24 hours of the T6 being effectively written off, VW UK said "the customer will get the equivalent vehicle at the deal already agreed". Even the dealer was amazed!
I imagine everyone everywhere is amazed...It’s not a deal that could ever be replicated...A few more trees on the delivery route wouldn’t go amiss...

I imagine everyone everywhere is amazed...It’s not a deal that could ever be replicated...A few more trees on the delivery route wouldn’t go amiss...
The tree is actually at the entrance to the dealer's compound! Part of the damage to our T6 was the awning being completely ripped off. It then went through the windscreen of the Transporter which was behind our Cali. o_O

The tree is actually at the entrance to the dealer's compound! Part of the damage to our T6 was the awning being completely ripped off. It then went through the windscreen of the Transporter which was behind our Cali. o_O
Could you not have had it without the awning? :D

I understand your predicament, £70K is a lot of cash! (for us anyway) but as many have said you don't need a new one to 'get it' We bought a T4 Cali 8 years ago to try it out with the reasoning that we wouldn't lose much if it didn't work out and we would upgrade if it did. We still have it and love it! Can't see the point in upgrading for a newer one as it does everything a new one does (but slower!)
Great, we also did it like that: to test we bought a T4 westfalia and now, 8 years later we know from experience what we want and want: what do we have and want to keep (dimensions campervan, especially the height & layout) , what we don't have and want (more horsepower and air conditioning) and what we don't want (electro-hydraulic roof because a manual works perfectly) + a little more comfort (DSG). That's why we ordered a T6.1 coast at the end of August. Hopefully it will give us as much fun as the T4. Oh, the new one doesn't cost 70,000 ;) The T4 will remain for a while because delivery is expected in May 2021 but I hope to keep it after that. Now save extra until May :D
And of course the seats in the tailgate and table in the rail (no longer in the folding couch) and table in the sliding door, we will now finally have.
Nice van you have :thumb

Greetings

Could have been worse.

Wonder who got the blame? Train driver or signalman?

Interesting write up. Its certainly put me off..lol

Before I pull the trigger I may well do the same and hire one for 2 days. £50k is a lot to spend on a vehicle you dont know you'll get on with.

The money in some ways is irrelevant...if you buy now and in 6 months time decide it was a mistake then you'll probably get most your money back selling.

But thanks for your honest review.

Wonder who got the blame? Train driver or signalman?
Definitely NOT the Train Driver......having been one for 30 years I'm going to say that :)

To be honest, the driver wouldn't have been aware of this at all. Good video though - good timing for me too as I'm now a Driver Trainer, and I'm going on an Accident Investigation course later this month!

Interesting write up. Its certainly put me off..lol

Before I pull the trigger I may well do the same and hire one for 2 days. £50k is a lot to spend on a vehicle you dont know you'll get on with.

The money in some ways is irrelevant...if you buy now and in 6 months time decide it was a mistake then you'll probably get most your money back selling.

But thanks for your honest review.
Thanks. Don't let it put you off. As you can see we changed our minds anyway. Definitely worth hiring one though. Just don't do it on the windiest night of the year like we did!!!

Definitely NOT the Train Driver......having been one for 30 years I'm going to say that :)

To be honest, the driver wouldn't have been aware of this at all. Good video though - good timing for me too as I'm now a Driver Trainer, and I'm going on an Accident Investigation course later this month!
Agree. Having seen some of the American freight trains with 3 or 4 locomotives pulling them, they can take miles to come to a stop. Was told by a Highway Patrol officer in California, if they hit something on a crossing they just radio it in because by the time they stop, clear of the crossing they could be miles away.

The harsh ride can be easily improved by replacing the standard shocks and springs, going down the comfort route this would cost around £800 fitted.
It makes a big difference.
What brand do you recommend Mr T? I’ve been quoted £1100+VAT for STX coilovers

Well in our experience the Transporter base is one of the best , we've had them from 1990, 3T4's and the T6 cali.
We still have our last T4 Caravelle and can report that the seats and ride are just fine over the 240,000mls we have covered. The driving position suits long days and on occasions we have covered 500 mls at one hit!
The Cali is 22 months old and we just covered 25000mls, with some long drives in comfort. They are our main vehicles and appear to be built to cover long distances without drama.
The state of trim that has come loose is a dealer fix, neither our 18yr old Caravelle nor the newer T6 Cali have had issue with poor finish rattles or things coming off. The Cali rear cupboard tambour door has come apart and a replacement is on order from VW which will b e fitted under warranty.
Take our experience and weave it into your requirements best of luck.

What brand do you recommend Mr T? I’ve been quoted £1100+VAT for STX coilovers
Have look at TransporterHQ advice on suspension replacements. You Tube. Very much a case of there is no such thing as cheap quality.

Interesting. Did not know it was that level of discount pre covid
Nor me. I was pleased - maybe even smug! When I found DtD and Autoebid and got c.12% discount

Interesting. Did not know it was that level of discount pre covid
It wasn’t. @subthree ha explained earlier in this thread that they achieved that level of discount because their original T6 order was cancelled by VW when the T6 was replaced with a T6.1. Very specific circumstances and not at all typical, perhaps even unique

Back