Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

5G/4G antenna for remote locations?

HappyGus

HappyGus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,

I recently got a T6.1. Quite happy with it! So happy that I'm trying to work from it at some times and already spent a 2 weeks holidays in it.

I mostly do wild camping, often in wood/mountains, but often my smartphone hasn't a reliable connection, which prevents me to work with a nice view :) or just chill one night with my GF behind netflix.

I'm looking for a 5G/4G that would allow me to get internet in those remote location, something that I can easily install on the cali.

I'm sure I'm not the first one with this need, how did you resolve this ? Any good hardware to advice? Or something that fits particularly well the cali?

I’m surprised you are having trouble. I almost always have reception, even in remote places, the coverage throughout the countries I have been through is very good. I use a Vodafone MiFi, and have a Three sim in my iPhone. Occasionally only one of these has a signal. No external antenna.

I’m surprised you are having trouble. I almost always have reception, even in remote places, the coverage throughout the countries I have been through is very good. I use a Vodafone MiFi, and have a Three sim in my iPhone. Occasionally only one of these has a signal. No external antenna.
Not sure what is surprising in having no data connection in mountain ^^

Hi,

I recently got a T6.1. Quite happy with it! So happy that I'm trying to work from it at some times and already spent a 2 weeks holidays in it.

I mostly do wild camping, often in wood/mountains, but often my smartphone hasn't a reliable connection, which prevents me to work with a nice view :) or just chill one night with my GF behind netflix.

I'm looking for a 5G/4G that would allow me to get internet in those remote location, something that I can easily install on the cali.

I'm sure I'm not the first one with this need, how did you resolve this ? Any good hardware to advice? Or something that fits particularly well the cali?
Data only MiFi using a sim from the best network in your country. A MiFi is built to connect and act as a WiFi hotspot without all the bells and whistles of a smartphone.

This is a UK site but there might be something similar in your country.

Not sure what is surprising in having no data connection in mountain ^^
This is where I am sending this from right now.
Signal coverage is has not been a problem for me, I’ve been travelling for a while now, many very remote places. C6155CA1-FDDC-4D82-A1A3-C7B5B33EEDF0.jpeg
EC3F8EDE-0866-4D7D-A2A5-4D53EC543EA5.jpeg

Hi,

@HappyGus , You have a few options. I have not explored all options, but based on my research.
a) a phone may not pick up signals because of the kind/type of antenna within it. If you know that there is a at least a weak signal at that location, it may be good to try different providers or different phones. I realised that at some places, my wife's iPhone would not pick up signals, I then switched to my Android as a hot spot.
b) I have just recently purchased a NETGEAR AC810 AirCard Mobile Hotspot 4G LTE. My reason for purchasing this model - it has the option to attach dual external antennas. This can increase the reception of mobile signals at hard to reach places. This is another option - keep the router inside the van, have an external antenna. I have not tested the power reach of it as yet, but a good external antenna should help increase signal capture. Another reason I went with this option is that it is relatively cost effective and multi use.
c) The third option, if money not a constraint is a dedicated outdoor LTE router which has an inbuilt signal booster and SIM, which can give you a good network.

PS: Satellite based solutions are frightfully expensive and it seems, they do not provide the required bandwidth for internet application

Hope this information helps.

I am interested in this too. Not just mountain areas with poor signal.

I am interested in this too. Not just mountain areas with poor signal.
Yes I agree, I trying to find something that connect to the 4g network but with a better reception/emission

You could search for "In-Vehicle 4G signal booster',
There is different stuff available and a lot of it is country dependent due to different networks/regulations etc.
So you probably want to search for Swiss suppliers first.

Something like this

Its still stuck in a Royal Mail warehouse at the moment. My van is having warranty work carried out and we should have it back on Monday. If everything is in place we should have tested it by Wednesday next week. We opted for a pay monthly SIM from Vodafone, £19/24GB a month for the first purchase which will go up to £26 thereafter, no contract and top it up when needed. From what I understand the 24GB is good for overseas travel.
Do you mind sharing the results of your tests when you receive it?(I've already the SIM card).

Would be interesting to install a speedtest app(and make a test where you don't have a good reception )

+1 for sharing results.
Working remotely from Swiss mountains wonderland is many times a daunting experience.

Ive bought Kuma Caravan Motorhome 4G Unlocked Internet Mobile Hotspot WiFi Kit + Antenna for my 6.1 Beach, due to be fitted soon by a guy who knows what to do, will report back. Reviews good, supposedly adds 1.5km to 4G range. We’ll see.

We have Vodafone 4G data SIM plus o2 and three mobiles so have plan b and plan c dependent on network that’s best wherever we are in Europe.

but how it is when you use the 4G of your phone versus the 4G through the Antenna+router?

Awesome, thank you very much! One thing I would also be interested is when you have no(or almost no) internet with only your phone, see if it improves the range(not only the speed)

Related issue: when roaming in EU, I almost never get 4G it’s always 3G, even in big cities, when I would expect a strong 4G signal. I think the provider “throttles” the connection of roaming phones. Therefore connection speed always seems slower than UK when roaming

Related issue: when roaming in EU, I almost never get 4G it’s always 3G, even in big cities, when I would expect a strong 4G signal. I think the provider “throttles” the connection of roaming phones. Therefore connection speed always seems slower than UK when roaming

Interesting -- I've not had that problem myself (test limited to France, Spain, Switzerland, India) - although sometimes have had to switch local network

I'm on EE with an iPhone.

Great info, many thanks for this. My research showed UK network providers have varying 4G across EU, Vodafone came out top, many of the others piggy back their EU partners. O2, EE and 3 ok

I would expect the extra antenna to be most useful to hunt 4G. I’ll see how my set up works when fitted. My Beach also has VW wifi / connect/ whatever it’s called so maybe I wasted my money if a decent antenna is plumbed in already at the factory. Will test!

Interesting -- I've not had that problem myself (test limited to France, Spain, Switzerland, India) - although sometimes have had to switch local network

I'm on EE with an iPhone.

I’m on three with an iPhone

Hi all

I’ve been doing a lot of remote working and have been using a huawei E5573Bs mifi device.

Although it has been satisfactory as a product and provides a much better solution to iPhone tethering (high battery consumption, WiFi drop outs, phone getting hot etc…) it doesn’t provide the range / signal in some remote areas of work therefore I have invested in a mifi device that supports TS9 external antenna to provide better coverage. I’m looking to externally mount omnidirectional antennas as they provide the best balance in terms of signal coverage. I’m contemplating mounting them on the side rails behind the awning.

My question is whether anyone knows what the type of fixtures (nuts / bolts) I need for the side rails please if I were to externally mount a stubby aerial.

I made some good tests with some teltonika RUTX11.
For the mounting, I use a GoPro suction cup and i modeled a 3D printed adapter.

The gopro suction cup is really great, event for heavy stuff.

I'm really curious about your experience of those TS9 external antenna, I must admit that I'm a bit skeptical.

I made some good tests with some teltonika RUTX11.
For the mounting, I use a GoPro suction cup and i modeled a 3D printed adapter.

The gopro suction cup is really great, event for heavy stuff.

I'm really curious about your experience of those TS9 external antenna, I must admit that I'm a bit skeptical.
Thank you HappyGus

I’ll take a look at your recommendations. Do you by any chance have any pictures to share for your 3D printer model please? I haven’t got the kit yet as it’s coming from Australia at a good price but I will certainly let you know. May I ask your concerns over the TS9s?

Back