Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion - high price

Ok I have done some further research & agree that VWs own website that suggests its a torsen diff is wrong.

As a penance I have uploaded to the resources area the VW self Study Guides for the T6 transporter & the self study programme for the 4MOTION with Four-wheel Drive Coupling Generation IV

The former document confirms that the T6 transporter is fitted with the 5th generation Haldex unit but uses the control logic of the generation IV.

A couple of pages are shown below, for the whole story you need to download the documents.

View attachment 117485View attachment 117486View attachment 117487
The maximum power to rear wheels is 50% when haldex is fully activated.
Haldex is only made for short intervention when wheels risk to start slipping , not for permanent offroad 4wd.It works with variable friction between front and rear and therefor may overheat when actived for long periods. When this is happening dashboard will inform you and you can wait a few minutes to let it cool down before driving any further. Permanent offroad 4wd cars like amarok therefore use Torsen differential , a mechanical solution and indeed has 60:40 power distribution front/rear.

Video explaining haldex versions and functions.

And a picture of the setup showing the diff lock in place. Engaging the diff lock joins the rear half shafts together but also engages the haldex to 100% meaning 50% of the torque goes to the rear axle regardless of any slip detection, so avoids wheel spin in low traction situations.

1703368373034.jpeg

I have been driving in snow and ice a lot with my 2016 204 4Motion California. It is definitely fwd based where the rear axle is engaged when fwd slips. Works well in snow and ice but in deep sand can be a problem because the front tires will dig down a bit before rear wheels help.
It definitely wears the front tires more than the rear so I shift twice a year between front and rear axle. For road use in slippery situations it works very well. I have had other cars with Haldex which actually brakes the wheel that slips but the esp system seems it does not on the T6. If you have any intention of going offroad I would say a manual gearbox is number one option after 4wd. The DSG is crap for trying to go slowly over obstacles, reversing is a total nightmare, its basically no power or all power. Just try reversing at an incline, stop and start reversing again.
For offroad use this would be my prio list:
4 wd
Manual gearbox
Underbody protection
Manual gearbox with lower gearing from Seikel
Limited slip diff

I have been driving in snow and ice a lot with my 2016 204 4Motion California. It is definitely fwd based where the rear axle is engaged when fwd slips. Works well in snow and ice but in deep sand can be a problem because the front tires will dig down a bit before rear wheels help.
It definitely wears the front tires more than the rear so I shift twice a year between front and rear axle. For road use in slippery situations it works very well. I have had other cars with Haldex which actually brakes the wheel that slips but the esp system seems it does not on the T6. If you have any intention of going offroad I would say a manual gearbox is number one option after 4wd. The DSG is crap for trying to go slowly over obstacles, reversing is a total nightmare, its basically no power or all power. Just try reversing at an incline, stop and start reversing again.
For offroad use this would be my prio list:
4 wd
Manual gearbox
Underbody protection
Manual gearbox with lower gearing from Seikel
Limited slip diff
VW must have changed the setup between the T5.1 and T6 as I don't recognise any of the points you have mentioned, especially reversing or driving slowly over obstacles with the DSG box. As far as tyre wear is concerned I have had equal wear front to rear NS to OS over the past 126,000 miles. Never had to swap tyres to even wear.

VW must have changed the setup between the T5.1 and T6 as I don't recognise any of the points you have mentioned, especially reversing or driving slowly over obstacles with the DSG box. As far as tyre wear is concerned I have had equal wear front to rear NS to OS over the past 126,000 miles. Never had to swap tyres to even wear.
This thread on the T6 forum suggests the 4 Motion system functionality varies considerably from T6 to T6 referencing 150 vs 204HP engines with DSG transmissions

Back