Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4motion corner take two

I just did 990 miles from Scotland to North LONDON and back in my 204ps 4Motion Manual Ocean with a passenger, camping gear full tank of fresh water on the way South and 50% water on way back. Averaged 41mpg, which I was really impressed with.
That is impressive. I have the 150 4M and seldom average over 35MPG on the clock. I’ve not actually measured it at the pump, but I doubt it would be better.

That is impressive. I have the 150 4M and seldom average over 35MPG on the clock. I’ve not actually measured it at the pump, but I doubt it would be better.
I wasn’t driving that fast about 60-65 mph with cruise control as much as possible, but it certainly helped the mpg. Different story urban stop start driving c. 29mpg.

I’ve had 4m and now a fwd Cali. Tyres make more of a difference in my experience , I’ve rallied my 2wd in and out of places the 4m went as well with no issues. Runs in m+S tyres all the time. Had no issues in snow and mud, soft grass hasn’t been a problem either. Limiting factor in the 4m was clearance and we grounded it a lot inc a bit of undertray damage. Our 4m had normal tyres on it for a while and it was useless. I don’t doubt there are situations where a diff lock would help if you’ve specced it but I’d argue that in most cases decent tyres will make more of a difference. Just my opinion havig had both.

However , who pays 6k to get 4 motion then cheaps out on tyres. I have both 4 motion and good tyres and Im confident I get less wheelspin than a 2wd in the wet let alone mud. Diff lock is just the final stage in the 2wd, capable tyres, AWD, Diff Lock order of capability.

I agree, a FWD with the right tyres for the conditions will outperform an AWD with the wrong tyres. When you made the decision to go from 4MOTION to FWD, what was the difference in ground clearance as standard that sold the FWD for you?
I needed a Beach and you can't get 4M Beach. Clearance is worse naturally near the back. My driving is more snow and ice than mud though as i work at ski centres and often stay overnight. I've not had any issues in a 2wd despite some pox weather and conditions. I always spec narrower tyres as well for that reason.

Rear overhang is clearly my main issue with my current setup, but she eased of the beach without any fuss while wearing studded snow tyres ironically.
D0E4C43B-75A0-47B0-95C9-79FEBA35AF21.jpeg

Ah yes. I lost a bit of my Atera Strada doing something like that. It's never quite been square ever since ! Good photo

I would have specified a 4 motion but it wasn't an option for the Beach …..

I do have a T4 syncro tho' which I have had for many years. The most memorable "incident" which the 4wd got me out of was when I drove through a hedge...

One Sunday afternoon I found myself locked in a remote carpark next to woodland on the outskirts of the city (I had been blackberry picking and time had run away with me...!!) I also had three excitable dogs who were well overdue a feed. I either had to leave the car there overnight (not an option) or pay a significant fee for someone to come back and unlock the barrier.

In desperation, I drove around the fields surrounding the carpark to investigate various exits, which all led to a dead end. I then returned to the carpark and drove over some rough ground to investigate the perimeter hedge. It was a large rough hedge about 20 ft deep. I decided there was a gap in the hedge which I might just squeeze through so I slowly inched forward but it was obvious that I would incur significant damage to the paintwork and mirrors if I continued.
So I reversed back and was going to give up, when I remembered I had lots of rope in the car.

I then used the rope to tie back the main branches of the gap in the hedge...…and "lo"..... this opened up to a perfect van shaped hole... so diff lock "on" I drove straight through and bumped my way down the verge. BUT...I was now inside the cities recycling plant which was also locked with a big steel gate.
However there was a large grassed mound which was surrounded with large boulders to prevent vehicles from driving in..... I had figured that one of the gaps between the boulders was just wide enough for the van, so I now mounted the kerb, up the mound, a quick 5 point turn on the top and then down again to the aforementioned boulders. Indeed there was about 5mm clearance each side and I slowly squeezed through to freedom !!!

What I hadn't realised was that quite a crowd had gathered and I drove out of the recycling plant to cheering onlookers with the dogs going berserk !! Quite a days blackberry picking !!

"Johnboy's hole" in the hedge is still there but is getting a bit overgrown now, but I always have a chuckle when I go to the tip now. I always wondered what they thought when they arrived on Monday to find lots of tyre tread marks over the mound but no car in sight!!

Needless to say I always watch the time now when I park in that car park.

By the way I love driving the syncro, it is very sure footed. But I think this differs to the 4motion which is not constant 4wd (am I correct??)

I would have specified a 4 motion but it wasn't an option for the Beach …..

I do have a T4 syncro tho' which I have had for many years. The most memorable "incident" which the 4wd got me out of was when I drove through a hedge...

One Sunday afternoon I found myself locked in a remote carpark next to woodland on the outskirts of the city (I had been blackberry picking and time had run away with me...!!) I also had three excitable dogs who were well overdue a feed. I either had to leave the car there overnight (not an option) or pay a significant fee for someone to come back and unlock the barrier.

In desperation, I drove around the fields surrounding the carpark to investigate various exits, which all led to a dead end. I then returned to the carpark and drove over some rough ground to investigate the perimeter hedge. It was a large rough hedge about 20 ft deep. I decided there was a gap in the hedge which I might just squeeze through so I slowly inched forward but it was obvious that I would incur significant damage to the paintwork and mirrors if I continued.
So I reversed back and was going to give up, when I remembered I had lots of rope in the car.

I then used the rope to tie back the main branches of the gap in the hedge...…and "lo"..... this opened up to a perfect van shaped hole... so diff lock "on" I drove straight through and bumped my way down the verge. BUT...I was now inside the cities recycling plant which was also locked with a big steel gate.
However there was a large grassed mound which was surrounded with large boulders to prevent vehicles from driving in..... I had figured that one of the gaps between the boulders was just wide enough for the van, so I now mounted the kerb, up the mound, a quick 5 point turn on the top and then down again to the aforementioned boulders. Indeed there was about 5mm clearance each side and I slowly squeezed through to freedom !!!

What I hadn't realised was that quite a crowd had gathered and I drove out of the recycling plant to cheering onlookers with the dogs going berserk !! Quite a days blackberry picking !!

"Johnboy's hole" in the hedge is still there but is getting a bit overgrown now, but I always have a chuckle when I go to the tip now. I always wondered what they thought when they arrived on Monday to find lots of tyre tread marks over the mound but no car in sight!!

Needless to say I always watch the time now when I park in that car park.
Well we’ve got this old thread moving again. Did I tell anyone yet that I’ll be putting some BF Goodrich AT’s on when I take the studded tyres off haha

By the way I love driving the syncro, it is very sure footed. But I think this differs to the 4motion which is not constant 4wd (am I correct??)
Not quit. Power to the rear wheels is variable with a minimum of 10%.

I’m going for them too, when I need to replace tyres!
I had BF Goodrich AT on 3 previous vehicles. I’m a big fan. 197A0EAC-3159-4086-A6C1-13BFF8BAC74A.jpeg
My Kenya rig
6E8B1DB0-559B-4BE7-9400-660B236CD3BF.jpeg
Camper van I built out in the States

I can’t find the photos of my Defender.

Rear overhang is clearly my main issue with my current setup, but she eased of the beach without any fuss while wearing studded snow tyres ironically.
View attachment 43581
Had the same issue. Was always dragging the mud flaps and tow bar on the ground as departure angle most limiting. Raised the rear 50mm with different springs and it nearly doubled the departure angle and problem solved. A little hack I did to get greater bike rack clearance is to tape a small piece of wood to the rear shaft of the tow ball (aprox 6x12x30mm). This then holds the rack at an angle rather than being parallel to the ground and just enough to still get the tailgate open. Makes a big difference to where one can go without grounding it.

Before.jpg

After.jpg

Feel much more relaxed when venturing off-road in our 4motion. Our previous T5 conversion got stuck a few times in fields etc and on steep wet driveways/roads. We do a lot of orienteering which includes a lot of wet parking fields...there have been numerous domestics over whether we'll get stuck or not...hoping these are now a thing of the past!

The issue with 4 motion is , .... its working unnoticed, smoothly, automatically, all of the time, even on metaled roads it improves the balance of the van when cornering or accelerating out of a corner, maybe if there was a big red button on the instrument panel saying, 'manually engage 4 motion', it would engender more enthusiasm in a muddy field ..

Back