Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4 motion in the snow

gvick

gvick

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
We had had a lot of snow in East Anglia since Sunday - ands it’s still snowing.
Although I’m working from home - my wife who is a practice nurse isn’t and I have been driving her to work this week.
Without reigniting the 4 motion or not to have 4 motion debate -Polly my Cali has been amazing- even without winter tyres it has been sure Footed and the 4 motion has really inspired confidence.

Anyone else having to drive in the snow?

1A6FDED0-68C5-4A4E-BB6D-A752D15301E9.png

The parking heater is also proving to be a massive bonus.
When I ordered in jan 2019 I was thinking about the heated front and rear screens and forummembers advised not to - but to use the remote to start the parking heater up.
Done this each morning this week for 30mins and the Cali is so toasty

Very minor down in Southampton. This is from 2018 when I was the only one in the office

IMG_0166.JPG

Although I’m working from home - my wife who is a practice nurse isn’t and I have been driving her to work this week.
Without reigniting the 4 motion or not to have 4 motion debate -Polly my Cali has been amazing- even without winter tyres it has been sure Footed and the 4 motion has really inspired confidence.

View attachment 73334
Out of interest, which tyres do you have on now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

went out y/day also on Compacted snow to collect provisions , very sure footed with Conti Vancontact factory tyres , however roads are sheer ice this morning , fear things may be different and all season tyres would be an advantage

When I ordered in jan 2019 I was thinking about the heated front and rear screens and forummembers advised not to - but to use the remote to start the parking heater up.

I usually ride to work. The last two weeks, I’ve been a bit lazy.
Woke up, stuck the diesel heater on, breakfast and coffee, 40 mins later drive away in a warm van with clear screen.
Got a love a California...

P.s just wish I had 4motion. Next van:cool:

I had that advice also, but then members said on the new 6.1 the heater doesn’t get as warm as the previous model, plus as it’s a van maybe a little bit more reaching up is needed to scrap the top areas of the screen, anyway if I’m not in a rush the parking heater sounds great

Took the Cali on shopping trip today as got up to 3" of overnight snow fall. Usually take the car but as the Cali is a 4M and has Michelin Crossclimate SUV tyres on it made sense plus switching the heater on whilst having breakfast.
Came out of S'mkt to find another 2" of snow falling.
Not even a hint of wheel spin once, no different to dry road travel.

I did drive in snow a few years back with the summer tyres on and again drove with no issues. Michelins are more sure footed.

Out of interest, which tyres do you have on now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Hi I’ll have to check but they were the factory supplied with Cascavels - I’m sure if I got some all weather ones as discussed on the forum that would improve things even more. Importantly I still have a lot of tread left

I went out a few weeks ago in the snow with the 4M Cali but since I have not driven it as much as the LR Disco 3 it did not feel as sure footed, but I expect that is more due to familiarity with the D3 which is a totally awesome in snow. It performed fine though. We have snow again here so perhaps I should go out in it with the Cali.

I have 2 other cars, making 4 in total, and 3 are 4WD and with winter/summer tyres as needed. The tyres are a huge factor in snow. The 4th car I only drive in nice weather from April to September - apparently it has one of those 'widow maker' nicknames.

I usually ride to work. The last two weeks, I’ve been a bit lazy.
Woke up, stuck the diesel heater on, breakfast and coffee, 40 mins later drive away in a warm van with clear screen.
Got a love a California...

P.s just wish I had 4motion. Next van:cool:
4 motion did push the price up - but I had a “sod it you’re only going to order a Cali from new once - sort of moment”. As has been discussed on various threads if you’ve got it you love it- if you haven’t got it you have missed it :thumb
(that’s the 4 motion before anyone comments)

Took the Cali on shopping trip today as got up to 3" of overnight snow fall. Usually take the car but as the Cali is a 4M and has Michelin Crossclimate SUV tyres on it made sense plus switching the heater on whilst having breakfast.
Came out of S'mkt to find another 2" of snow falling.
Not even a hint of wheel spin once, no different to dry road travel.

I did drive in snow a few years back with the summer tyres on and again drove with no issues. Michelins are more sure footed.
Can you let me know where you got your tyres from? Thanks:thumb

Can all you guys send some snow down to Berkshire please? We are grossly lacking in snow here and I have my winter Nokian's on.

Did do a steep gradient up Coombe Gibbet when it snowed a week or two ago. Where cars were slipping and sliding (and many parking at the bottom of the hill), the Cali just drove up as if nothing mattered. That was 4MO and Nokian Winters.

A smug moment though - coming down Coombe Gibbet, was followed by a Audi Q7. He stopped at the top of the descent .. wondering if the Q7 will stay on the road. I drove down without any issues. He did not attempt coming down and turned back the other side

Can you let me know where you got your tyres from? Thanks:thumb
Blackcircles. had £40 off Michelin set of 4 at the time.
I had 235/60/17's not the normal 235/55/17's hence 106V load rating.

View attachment 73334
Not specifying 4Motion Is my only regret.

As I live at 900m altitude, in the Swiss pre-alps, I've been driving quite a bit in the snow the past 2 months. It's semi-mandatory to have winter tyres here, but with the 4M, I've only managed to get some deliberate understeer once: on an icy corner, uphill, foot on the gas and on full lock.

Not specifying 4Motion Is my only regret.
I pondered 4motion when I ordered my T5, the extra weight and fuel consumption put me off, I live in the Scotland and we get a fair bit of snow where we are. I also like to ski so always put full winters on the van in winter, use 4 season tyres for the rest of the year. Lots of snow this year, only been stuck once in a off road car park in deep snow, snow chains got me out very easily. My next CalI will also be 2WD.

I pondered 4motion when I ordered my T5, the extra weight and fuel consumption put me off, I live in the Scotland and we get a fair bit of snow where we are. I also like to ski so always put full winters on the van in winter, use 4 season tyres for the rest of the year. Lots of snow this year, only been stuck once in a off road car park in deep snow, snow chains got me out very easily. My next CalI will also be 2WD.
a bit like ABS for braking. Had a few cars without it in the past, never failed to stop. Given the choice , money not being factor, would I choose ABS or brakes with no ABS ?

Another nice winter weekend! And do we love our 4M with the BFG winter tyres! ESP off, and we drove rock solid through all the snow, slush and ice!

F5F759D5-5165-43A7-97EB-801B940C1C16.jpeg
3B05897D-27A1-4805-9654-01E737263E78.jpeg
555759A8-CE20-4E17-BA7B-7686C3B701F9.jpeg

a bit like ABS for braking. Had a few cars without it in the past, never failed to stop. Given the choice , money not being factor, would I choose ABS or brakes with no ABS ?
ABS every time, 4WD is a different choice, each to their own.

went out y/day also on Compacted snow to collect provisions , very sure footed with Conti Vancontact factory tyres , however roads are sheer ice this morning , fear things may be different and all season tyres would be an advantage
In my experience tyres - unless they’re studded don’t make a difference in ‘sheer’ ice.

Back