Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4 day hire and some observations

kurienp

kurienp

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Now I really really know why people rave about the Cali. :) 4 days of rental from down south to oop north, Edinburgh and Glasgow included 2 nights of driving.

Hired from London (you know from where), as they were the only guys who had a Cali with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and DSG. Got the diesel 204 PS version. Some quick notes, both positivies and what I would like changed, first for the positives though:
a) pleasure to drive. 204 ps had sufficient grunt for a constant 80 mph on the motorways and then some more when overtaking
b) ACC in stop and go traffic is much better with the electronic brakes which the Cali does not have. Electronic brakes sorely missed.
c) the bed made night time driving a pleasure. When you get tired, pull into services, set an alarm for 1hr and 45 minutes, grab a sleep and then drive again :) Works for me. driving up north, kept the bed open.
d) when tired, stop at services, make a brew, place cup in cupholder and back to driving again. enjoying the brew.
e) engine was a peach. except for the suspension (more on that in a short while), behaved pretty much like a car.
f) Plugged in at campground for 2 days. No issues with powering laptop to do work. With 4G signal, work was pretty much like work from home.
g) the heater - was the icing on the cake. Glasgow was cold. did not feel it. Glasgow was windy, so kept the roof down. A very sound sleep indeed. Slept like a baby :)
h) went for a walk to the scottish highlands - best part - come back after an ardous walk - enough space to change clothes and then sit back relax and have a brew (could not have the brew outside under the awning as it was windy and rainy :( ). Pure bliss.
i) up and around Glen Douglas (for those who know the place) - the steep climbs and descents were a cakewalk for the 204 ps engine. Wonder what it will be like for the 150 ps though.
j) did not take it off road, but suspect that the engine has enough grunt to take on steep inclines easily. The M&S tyres do make a difference. Good grip and Road noise was almost non-existent/bearable.

Some things which are a must:
a) ACC and DSG are a must. May also go in for the city assist to make driving just a wee bit easier.
b) when I order, it will be with the higher rated suspension and ant rolls bars - will ensure a more stable ride. With the standard suspension it behaved more like a loaded van with the rear end having a mind of its own.
c) front and rear parking sensors are a must. Just gives you confidence when turning around in a tight space.

Some observations:
a) the drip, drip, drip ... sound when the heater is on - noticed it, but was not much bothered by it. But that sound is there.
b) cut foam pieces will be the drivers best friend as there was some weird noise from behind the seat that I tried to sort out ... but was unable to. Then finally learnt to ignore it. Did not have the time to sort it out.
c) the middle rear view mirror - useless piece of accessory. The slideout storage above the rear seats - blocks a decent view from the mirrow. The large side mirrors though made up for it in a way. A slightly lower rear mirror would be more helpful.
d) The large 6 inch upgrade nav screen was good, but if you use Google maps for your navigation, forget using the phone for anything else. Andriod Auto was too intrusive and so is Apple Car Play. The red coloured light buttons are an eyesore though. Did not like it. Prefer white lights on buttons.
e) found the brake pedal slightly high for comfort. May decide to use a platform just to make long drives more comfortable. ACC took care of most of the in-town and motorway driving through bad traffic.
f) The elastic band around the top roof is a must. Not sure why VW does not build it into the canvas.

Some pictures for your viewing pleasure - not in sequence.

Guards on the Glen Douglas Road at night.
20171027_203419.jpg

View from inside while getting ready for the day

20171026_084834.jpg
View of the rail bridge from South Queensferry
20171026_081453.jpg

The not so new and the new road bridges20171026_081425.jpg

One of the few early morning birds - absolute peace

20171026_081406.jpg

Was enjoying the ride and the trip so missed out on taking more pictures :(

Lovely looking van and a great write up.

So, are you buying one tomorrow before the price rises?

Re the heater - it's the fuel pump for it that is making the 'tick' or 'drip drip' noise

Re the rear view mirror - i have read on here before that it is actually placed differently on the windscreen to a normal Transporter and I found that just folding the rear headrests down does make a big difference to the view you can get.

Great to hear about the ACC/DSG/204 combinations

I've done applecross and Porlock Hill with no issues in a 114 so I suspect the 150 would be fantastic. :)

Last edited:
Re the rearview mirror, I have it in my Transporter with no back windows at all. I asked about it and they leave it there as it houses the sensors for the wipers.

Nice write up. I am traveling up to Edinburgh, which I now know will be cold and dark Thursday to collect my new toy. Looked at trains but the 16 hours and £400 ticket put pay to that idea. So its Bristol airport and the £30 ticket Edinburgh in under 2 hours flight. Collect the van, visit presstonpans battlefield, pub, india and hotel, followed next day by castle,pub, Scotland museum,pub, indian, hotel. Then the long drive home. Traveling with my partner, but know batman, hes remaining home. Looking forward to the pub,indian and sites, not so sure about the rest. F

I agree with all of your comments, well written. i too had a rattle behind my drivers seat and it took ages to work it out; it was the adjustable foot of the table which is in the sliding door. When i found it i was shocked and had to show everyone, such a little thing with a big noise.

Agree about rear view mirror issue. I think it may be due to the seat swivel raising your seated position which is more of an issue for taller drivers.
I need to remember to have a seat in a Transporter or Caravelle when next in a Dealers for a comparison.

Lovely looking van and a great write up.

So, are you buying one tomorrow before the price rises?
My dream combo is a 4motion with ACC and DSG. Almost ordered last week, but then had to put pause to plans temporarily. Hiring again in Dec to do a europe Christmas market run - Strasbourg, Innsbruck and Prague over 10 days. The cali will surely happen in the new year.

Nice write up. I am traveling up to Edinburgh, which I now know will be cold and dark Thursday to collect my new toy. Looked at trains but the 16 hours and £400 ticket put pay to that idea. So its Bristol airport and the £30 ticket Edinburgh in under 2 hours flight. Collect the van, visit presstonpans battlefield, pub, india and hotel, followed next day by castle,pub, Scotland museum,pub, indian, hotel. Then the long drive home. Traveling with my partner, but know batman, hes remaining home. Looking forward to the pub,indian and sites, not so sure about the rest. F

All the best! the day will brighten as soon as you lay your hands on the Cali! :thumb

I've done applecross and Porlock Hill with no issues in a 114 so I suspect the 150 would be fantastic. :)

Before my 2.5 T5 LWB, I used to do Porlock Hill in my 1970 Westfalia T2 - albeit in 1st gear up and 2nd gear down, drum brakes and 50 bhp make for slow progress. It's local to me, in fact I bought my T5 from just down the road just outside of Lynton/Lynmouth

Alistair

Back