Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4.5kg Calor Gas Bottle

greenp

greenp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all, has anyone piped up a 4.5kg calor gas bottle (Butane) to a cooker in a California T6 ? I know it won't fit in the same place as the 907, but that's OK.
Many Thanks Paul

I would imagine you'll be the first chief.

Hi all, has anyone piped up a 4.5kg calor gas bottle (Butane) to a cooker in a California T6 ? I know it won't fit in the same place as the 907, but that's OK.
Many Thanks Paul
not done, but considered. Logically quite easy to do. You will not be able to close the rear cupboard completely, unless you are ready to drill a hole for the pipe to pass through.
- drill a pipe sized hole in the centre of the black lid for the gas container holding tank. This will help to close the lid with the pipe sticking through.
- have sufficient length to reach the calor gas bottle location.
- preferably have the calor gas bottle in a certified gas box.

Simples!

What problem are you trying to solve?

What problem are you trying to solve?
1) morning economical using 4.5kg.
2) 1st time in 6 years I've had cold weather issues with camping gaz. Low pressure at burner head.. reading a lot of threads after posting suggests more to this problem ie Propane V butane. But fancy trying the 4.5kg bottle 1st

For 1) the popular solution is to refill your campingaz cylinder. (Or install a zinc coated leisure gas cylinder and refill).

For 2) increasing the wetted area will improve maximum offtake of the cylinder but not alter the low temperature vapour pressure of the contained liquid. In short your temperature capability is unlikely to improve by any significant amount. Offtake is quoted as about 140g per hour per burner, very low.

A not insignificant number of Germans have converted to propane. They typically purchase a new cylinder and safety valve and have the cylinder refilled at their local hardware store.

Here is a recent discussion, there are many more.

Many Thanks Paul
If you do locate it in a new place will you be happy to lose the safety of the sealed enclosure and the gas “drain” beneath the cylinder?