Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 seater beach bed topper

Neilos

Neilos

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, sorry I know this topic has been done to death in other posts. Had a search and can’t find a specific answer.

We find the comfort mattress hard and uncomfortable.

Would rather not get rid of it because it does a good job of flattening the bench seat into a bed and just needs a bit more give.

Considering a topper, but space is key with 4 of us on board.

Options are 1 of the following on top of the comfort mattress-

1- Duvalay foam topper either 2.5cm (too thin to be useful?) or 5cm (too bulky?)

2 - Zone sleep (again too bulky?)

3 - self inflating mats, but the blowing up and squeezing air our puts me off.

Anyone tried these combos?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just back from two weeks in the van, used two newly purchased Vango California self inflating mats, one on the top bed in place of the original mattress (two kids slept on that) and one for reimo seat bed for two adults.

We all found them comfortable and an big improvement on the original padding, we stored both mattresses rolled out & deflated with two single sleeping bags in the pop up roof (plenty of room after removing the original mattress).

We think the mattresses are easy to inflate and deflate and a perfect fit for our reimo pop top bed.

We bought using the price match at Go outdoors and as far as I recall it was just over £100 for both.

Hi all, sorry I know this topic has been done to death in other posts. Had a search and can’t find a specific answer.

We find the comfort mattress hard and uncomfortable.

Would rather not get rid of it because it does a good job of flattening the bench seat into a bed and just needs a bit more give.

Considering a topper, but space is key with 4 of us on board.

Options are 1 of the following on top of the comfort mattress-

1- Duvalay foam topper either 2.5cm (too thin to be useful?) or 5cm (too bulky?)

2 - Zone sleep (again too bulky?)

3 - self inflating mats, but the blowing up and squeezing air our puts me off.

Anyone tried these combos?

Thanks!

I’m sure you know this, but just a reminder, the VW Beach 3 seat bench comfort mattress has a hard, tapered side that goes down to flatten out the bumps, and a flat softer side to sleep on.

After 3 mongers seats I have a slightly different question.
I found the comfort mattrass fine except for on my back, which is unfortunately where I tend to go to sleep.
Not enough support under the arch of my back. (Oddly also seems shorter than my old Cali ocean) so I would wake up after moving to my back during sleep..

I’d rather replace it with a thicker higher quality memory foam unit that should also even out the bumps?

At 10cm the Vanessa beach mattress from Campervantastic seems to fit that description as a full replacement?

Anyone experience of that? I may call Campervantastic if not.
I’m less keen on the price as I think VW really should sort it out from std but hey!

I do have some camping air beds that would work but I don’t want to store more stuff as described!

Thanks both, camped with another van last week with that exact Vango matt and they also rated it. Sadly too small for the beach bed.

On the comfort mattress I did notice the hard side and soft side. However, there are so many ways of zipping the various sections together I did wonder if I’d got it connected correctly. There seems to be double layers of foam sections in some places like on the MFB area, and the bottom of those two layers has the hard side upwards whilst the top layer has soft side upwards. Think I need to get the manual out and check I have done it correctly!

Thanks both, camped with another van last week with that exact Vango matt and they also rated it. Sadly too small for the beach bed.

On the comfort mattress I did notice the hard side and soft side. However, there are so many ways of zipping the various sections together I did wonder if I’d got it connected correctly. There seems to be double layers of foam sections in some places like on the MFB area, and the bottom of those two layers has the hard side upwards whilst the top layer has soft side upwards. Think I need to get the manual out and check I have done it correctly!

Slightly off topic but I wish they would put some coloured tags on the comfort mattress so to configure the 'regular' mattress you would just have to match a certain colour of tag together. Unless I fold it on the shelf carefully I always end up having to turn the bottom bit over to get the zips to match.

The manual does have a detailed description with photos of how to position and zip together the varios sections to get three different lengths of bed, depending on how many seats you have in and whether or not you have the front section of the MFB folded down. It’s several pages, but well worth the reading.

Just back from two weeks in the van, used two newly purchased Vango California self inflating mats, one on the top bed in place of the original mattress (two kids slept on that) and one for reimo seat bed for two adults.

We all found them comfortable and an big improvement on the original padding, we stored both mattresses rolled out & deflated with two single sleeping bags in the pop up roof (plenty of room after removing the original mattress).

We think the mattresses are easy to inflate and deflate and a perfect fit for our reimo pop top bed.

We bought using the price match at Go outdoors and as far as I recall it was just over £100 for both.

We had a similar desire - to make the bed slightly less hard. Our solution (for a three week multistop round Europe) way to put two single inflatable sleep mats sandwiched between the reclined seat /MFB and the VW comfort mattress. We then left these in place (slightly deflated) and wrapped then round the mattress (in a square) when we folded the mattress up. It was actually quite easy, and we wedged pillows & sleeping bags on top wedged in by the roof of van. We haven’t actually bothered with them this summer on shorter trips. I do find the MFB ( Head end the way round sleep) requires an extra pillow as it always seems lower but the most important aspect to helping get a good nights sleep is making sure the van is flat LtoR and FtoB, so my levelling blocks and spirit level are the must have essentials when parking the van. There is an obvious way to fold the VW comfort mattress so that it can stay all zipped together ready to roll out & back in seconds.

I use 5cm Duvalay on top of the comfort mattress. Very comfy! Duvalay rolled up fits on top of the folded comfort mattress on the multiplex but blocks rear view on one side! 2 Duvalays blocks rear view completely. 7 seat beach.

Thanks for the replies that’s useful. Am thinking 2.5cm duvalay might be the compromise, space vs comfort. Also looking st the zone sleep but it’s a bit pricey to be honest! Thanks all.

My problem is I don’t want to carry even more padding and stuff!

Has no one tried to replace the comfort (interior as I think was mentioned or a new mattrass like the Vanessa) with high quality memory foam that would take out the seat imperfections and give a comfortable supportive sleep base.

We have two original Duvalay Raskalfs that achieve this and are comfortable on their own, but they don’t fit snugly as they were std. we used them in our previous Cali. ocean.

Perhaps I’ll see if duvalay could do a custom.

It's funny but I have just mentioned this on another post. We have been using an Outwell dreamboat 7.5cm self inflating mattress on ours for the last 3 years. Rolls up out the way when not in use and concertinas up with the duvets and pillows when you want your seat back. You can adjust its softness by topping up. Never takes more than 20 puffs to get it right for us. We both sleep better on it than at home!

This dreamboat might be it. I wonder if the 12cm double bed can be used in a Beach without the standard madrass.