Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2nd Leisure battery

B

Bertie63

Thinking about installing a 2nd leisure battery.

We have a 12v fridge that pulls 4A. All up, the radio, lights heater and phone charger pull not more than 4amps together. The standard leisure battery is only 80Ah, but to avoid deep drain that is only 50Ah, so not much more than 10hrs running. There is a tempting void under the drivers seat with a cable tunnel under the carpet to the passenger side and the 1st leisure battery. A matching battery wired in parallel would double the capacity and make the fridge a proposition without a hook up.

Anyone done this? I think ideally the batteries would be a match so their charge/discharge characteristics match.

No problem fitting a second leisure battery, some Californias have one already I believe certainly it is a factory option on special vehicles.. It is wired via a separate fuse but uses the same controls as far as I can see from the wiring diagrams.It may be worth asking around if there are any considerations relating to the charging circuits from the EHU supply.
I run two leisure batteries on a non California camper with the split charge wired as per a Cali but the 220v charge circuit is non VW.

Thanks Rod-VW. Where can I get my hands on a wiring diagram?

All Calis have 2 leisure batteries as far as i know, you can download a basic schematic wiring diagram from download section if vip member.

John

If you still need a wiring diagram let me know the age etc. of your California.

All Calis have 2 leisure batteries as far as i know, you can download a basic schematic wiring diagram from download section if vip member.

John
All Cali SE's have 2 batteries - this in the beach section so I assume the OP has a beach.

The 2nd battery is in the bottom of the wardrobe in the boot in the SE - clearly the beach doesn't have this space, so I guess the only option is under the drivers seat.

I have had my SE drivers seat out and from memory there is nothing there to stop you putting a battery there, and there is loads of room under the carpet for running wires (that is why that bit of carpet is so squidgey)

I am note sure if it is a simple as just wiring up a second battery in parallel or do you need a bigger charger/generator?

T

Thanks rod_vw, I'll take a look. I've read a bit more on the subject and satisfied myself that parallel wired battery will work as long as it is the same capacity, the connections have no appreciable resistance and at installation the two batteries have the same state of charge. The alternator will regulate the current and voltage - so no danger of overload although of course double the capacity will double the charge time. There is no securing strap for the second battery so I'll have to make some sort of mod for that. I'll post updates as I go in case this is of interest to others.

PS. This is in the Beach section, just to clarify I am talking about adding a second battery to our 2014 beach.

In my self-build T5s I have used a plate as used under the engine battery modified to lie flat and locate on the studs under the seat box. This along with the clamping plate firmly hold a battery in place. The part numbers for these two items are 7H0 805 285F and 6X0 959 502A respectively (always check with your van centre or TPS outlet before ordering) total price about ÂŁ30.
From experience this arrangement will allow for a VARTA Silver Dynamic E83 (574402075) battery (about ÂŁ72) to be fitted under a VW factory fitted swivel seat. You will have to remove the battery handle to clear the seat centre swivel mounting.
I don't know if the mounting brackets for the battery that you have under the left seat will transpose to the right side but I think if you check up on the price you won't like it any way!

I am happy to use starter type batteries as our camper is in almost daily use, has a solar panel and very rarely has the leisure batteries deeply discharged. I have always used this type of battery without experiencing exceptionally short battery life.

I looked at the battery in your link and see that it is 315mm long, I doubt that that length will fit between the pressings at the bottom of the seat box.

Many thanks again for that Rod_VW, you are right I won't like the price on the Cali parts!

Interested in your battery choice as although the E83 is AGM it is marketed as a starter battery. Varta's product selector sends me in this direction:-

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-...ial-professional-dual-purpose-agm/840-080-080

The installed leisure battery looks OEM as the part is not found on any Varta retail batteries.

Have you seen this thread http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/beach-leisure-battery.6955/page-2#post-63588 about the Beach leisure battery? I went to Varta to ask what sort of battery the one fitted is and the answer was its not an AGM type. Initially thought it was VW being cheapskates but on more research was reassured that the one fitted is perfectly suitable.

So, has anyone installed the 2nd leisure battery in T6.1 Beach and could explain to me how can I do it by myself?

So really there's now one with the 2nd leisure battery in Beach? :) What is the best place to install it?

Back