Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

255/40 ZR19 100Y XL - High enough load rating?

piddi

piddi

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
I am looking to downsize (believe it or not) from 20" to 19" on my Cali.

I was looking at these tires:

http://www.dekkonline.com/cgi-bin/r...n=&Label=C-A-73-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-279770

.... but it looks to be varying opinions in here if 100Y XL is actually high enough load rating.

I guess if you follow VWs recommendations, and is afraid of possible insurance trouble, I shouldn't go for them.

But as far as I understand, 100Y XL will be more than enough, technically.

I must add that I never ride more than 2 people in the van, and not really that much luggage.

Thoughts?

Your decision, but on my SE the tyre label says 103. I would check with your Insurance company because they will look at everything when a substantial claim is made, anything to avoid a payout,

I would not be dropping below 103 load rating in afraid, I would rather pay a few more pounds to ensure I was right, after all its not a cheap vehicle so why compromise

It's not so much will they be OK but will they be legal!

That may depend on your engine bhp and chassis T30 or T32. It does not matter what you carry or speed you drive at but the design capabilities of the vehicle. A good tyre supplier should have the information about minimum load ratings for particular vehicle types.

My base vehicle is a 180ps T32 and the minimum load ratings for this is 109/107 just because it could be loaded up to 3.2 tonnes and could be driven indecently quickly!

Rod

If you have a ABT body kit and wheels fitted at VW, the 19" alloys come with 255/ 40/ 19 100Y XL. VW said it was high enough load rating for a T32. Check it out

That's because the body kit has a negative weight, makes the van lighter.
;)